Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
verybadcat
verybadcat began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Converting to Epub

I have a course catalog which I need to convert to EPub. I can get it in any of a number of formats. I have tried a bunch of different converters on the web. The output they give me is always ugly. Any suggestions of something that will actually work, and give output that is formatted the same way as the input? Course catalogs have a lot of lists, tables, etc.

Thanks a lot.
verybadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadcat View Post
I have a course catalog which I need to convert to EPub. I can get it in any of a number of formats. I have tried a bunch of different converters on the web. The output they give me is always ugly. Any suggestions of something that will actually work, and give output that is formatted the same way as the input? Course catalogs have a lot of lists, tables, etc.

Thanks a lot.
Give Calibre a go.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
What formats can you get it in? Some are easier to convert than others, while some just won't due to DRM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I've always had the best results with the source material as html since epub is basically html. The next thing is what tool you are using to convert to epub. The more automation you rely on the less perfect the results can be for some that has tables, lists, etc.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote