Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
TechCrunch: Rampant Piracy Will Be The Kindle DX's Savior

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/09...le-dxs-savior/
Quote:
I’ve spent the last few days mulling over the future prospects of the new device, and up until a few hours ago my forecast was looking pretty grim. But then a lightbulb went off over my head: pirates are going to save the Kindle DX.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree that the screen size makes scanned pages potentially usable. This isn't only useful for piracy, scanning books you own will be legal in more places than stripping DRM. It does make piracy simpler. The article comments suggests that students are already photocopying entire textbooks because this is cheaper than buying them. A Kindle DX is expensive, but it is the kind of thing that a student might get as a gift.

One thing the article assumed, though, was that Amazon did not screw up the addition of PDFs to the device. In fact, the KDX does not search the contents of PDFs in its "all content" search and does not allow notes in PDFs. Search inside an open PDF apparently works, but obviously not if the PDF is all images. I don't understand the lack of note taking capability for a device designed for text books.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
I agree that pirates will save Kindle DX or Chinese model with lower price will surely kill Knindle DX. One way to save Kindle DX is like offer it free with long term commitment to magazine subscription and buy certain number of books. The model is just like Free cell phones with long term commitment.

I hope Apple jumps into competition with a killer model with it's brand name attached.

Let the fun begin.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
One thing the article assumed, though, was that Amazon did not screw up the addition of PDFs to the device. In fact, the KDX does not search the contents of PDFs in its "all content" search and does not allow notes in PDFs. Search inside an open PDF apparently works, but obviously not if the PDF is all images. I don't understand the lack of note taking capability for a device designed for text books.
"Want Highlighting? Buy from us!"
I imagine the fact that PDFs can't be DRMed is the only reason for them not to offer too many features in non-Topaz format ebooks (and not to support ePub).
The amount of OCRed PDF ebooks is rising on a daily basis (Cambridge UP and others are already offering some texts as ebooks legally), but those publishers, and that format, doesn't force force people to buy from and stay with Amazon; Only DRM support (combined with the fear of piracy) will do that.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 05-10-2009 at 09:58 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there OCR that outputs in MOBI format? Because colleges will either have to do that or they'll have to convert PDF to MOBI for the Kindle DX if they expect kids to annotate. (I'm talking strictly for their own course materials, not textbooks and the like which will be up to Amazon.)
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Is there OCR that outputs in MOBI format? Because colleges will either have to do that or they'll have to convert PDF to MOBI for the Kindle DX if they expect kids to annotate. (I'm talking strictly for their own course materials, not textbooks and the like which will be up to Amazon.)
You could, but most to all formatting would be gone.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
This article has many comments and I like this one:
Students pirating books is legal because it’s for educational purposes or not?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
LOL! You right... pirates will make the books available very quickly...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It might not be a bad thing.

I'm not a big fan of piracy, but this might be a strong push towards legitimizing the market and getting people used to the product. The piracy issue certainly helped the mp3 player business out - and so it might be worth it just to build up a population who enjoys and uses digital readers.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
I don't think there is any justification for piracy, but I also don't think it is morally right to require a student to buy an overpriced text book just to boost the income of the teacher.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'm not defending piracy... but it will be a factor in how the technology plays out. And in the long run, it might be beneficial.

And yes... overpriced textbooks is a curse. Overpriced textbooks that you're buying just because your professor or someone in the department is in it is even worse.

Exhibit A: My German book - single worse foreign language text I've ever used/seen/experienced and I've seen a LOT. It's just terrible! But someone in the department was involved...
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
students average maybe 100 dollars plus a week if they have a job. publishers will lose lots of money on this but its not like they are not going to eat at the end of the day. who cares if they have copyrights, we have to stop being a gluttonus society. just because its rightfully yours doesnt mean you have the right to demand from me the last 150 dollars i have to add to you 150 thousand you have in the bank.

This is going to boom in the on each campus' DC++'s

p.s. there are ALOT of people who still use lime wire and kazaa because thats the only ting they know; this will promote torrents and dc++!

Last edited by Alphapheemail; 05-10-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Emu
Enthusiast
Emu is on a distinguished road

Device: Had: iRex iLiad 8", iriver stroy HD 6", Dell Vostro A90 9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMacD View Post
I don't think there is any justification for piracy, but I also don't think it is morally right to require a student to buy an overpriced text book just to boost the income of the teacher.

think about piracy, copyright, drm, education, the world, money, the sense of life etc.
I really think there ARE justifications for "piracy". I think in some cases it's like "petty larceny of food"
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce
Yes to the last bit: from what I have seen, most ebooks for the Kindle that you can buy on Amazon are in a reflowable format (probably mobi?), not in pdf. Thus, they are searchable, annotatable, etc. Obviously a pirated book would be much less likely to be in a reflowable format.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur

Sorry, maybe I'm not clear; what I'm asking is there OCR software that the colleges would have (COTS) that does direct MOBI output.