Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Warranty query ..

i'm just killing time til i get my already much loved (!) Cybook but i was wondering how the warranty works?

All the details now on the Bookeen site show that I purchased it (and paid for it) on the 31st of October with no reference as to when it was shipped.

My question is, does my warranty run from date of shipping to me or from 31st October? .. i'm hoping it's the former, not least because things i own seem to have a habit of breaking just 'after' the warranty period or just around it!

thanks for any info!
Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It states:
Bookeen standard Product warranty is one (1) year after date of delivery.
http://www.bookeen.com/shop/warranty.aspx
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
It states:
Bookeen standard Product warranty is one (1) year after date of delivery.
http://www.bookeen.com/shop/warranty.aspx
perfect .. thanks for taking the time Tribble
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
my pleasure
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
But aren't they forced to offer a two years warranty because of EU rights?
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
No, the thing they have to offer for two years is not called a warranty. A warranty is stronger and cover more things. But you are right that they have som responsibilities two years (or was this changed to three years recently?).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
I don't believe so. One year warranties are the standard in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe so. One year warranties are the standard in the UK.
Possible, but in the UK they are used to do things differently. Left hand traffic, no Euro's And they used to close pubs somewere early in the evening
So they can have other warranty regulations
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But we are, nonetheless, part of the EU . All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem to be an EU-wide regulation.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But we are, nonetheless, part of the EU .
Are you sure
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Some people in this country would like to pretend that we are still a world super-power. I would like to think that I am rather more "enlightened" in considering us to be a modern European nation.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/rights/gen_rights_en.htm

Quote:
Sellers of consumer goods within the EU are obliged to guarantee the conformity of the goods with the contract for a period of two years after the delivery of the goods.

Certain standards exist for assessing when conformity can be assumed and when not. If the goods are not delivered in conformity with the sales contract, consumers can ask for the goods to be repaired, replaced, and reduced in price or for the contract to be rescinded. The final seller, who is responsible to the consumer, can also hold the producer liable in their business relationship.

This is regulated in the Directive 1999/44/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 May 1999 on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees.

The Directive aims to harmonise those parts of consumer sale contract law that concern legal guarantees (warranties) and, to a lesser extent, commercial guarantees.

Member States can require consumers to inform the seller of the lack of conformity within two months after its discovery. A commercial guarantee must be clearly drafted and indicate what rights it gives on top of consumers' legal guarantees.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the Bookeen has to give a two year warranty in the EU then why can't they give the same in the US?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #14
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Although I'm not a french lawyer:
CODE DE LA CONSOMMATION

Article L211-12
(inséré par Ordonnance nº 2005-136 du 17 février 2005 art. 1 Journal Officiel du 18 février 2005)

L'action résultant du défaut de conformité se prescrit par deux ans à compter de la délivrance du bien.

Which means: "The action resulting from the defect of conformity is prescribed by two years as from the delivery of the good". Or, in other words... two year legal warranty, wherever the consumer lives.

Last edited by ricdiogo; 12-07-2007 at 04:01 PM.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
There was a quote from Michael Dehan at Bookeen on his interpretation of it.

http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/10...ncluding-html/

Quote:
Euro warranties vs. U.S. ones

European warranty is one year, but there is a European directive which describes “the principle of the conformity of the product with the contract” which is not linked to defects or malfunctions which is covered by a standard guarantee. According to the directive: “The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which becomes apparent within a period of two years.”

Let’s take an example, I say on my notice that my device supports PDF, but when I deliver it, it appears that PDF is not supported and I release no software upgrade to correct the issue. Then there is a lack of conformity between the device and its description; the customer can ask to get a device which works in conformity with the notice and this during two years.

For info our device does support PDF. As written in our website and packaging.
I wonder if this means that if my battery doesn't last for 8,000 page turns then is a "lack of conformity".

Last edited by Barcey; 12-07-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote