Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is the correct usage on the em dash?

Is the correct usage of the em dash...

1. word—word
2. word— word
3. word — word

One of them is correct and one is not. Which is it? I have seen different usages in different books. I'd like to make books I format at least consistent with the correct usage. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
I've always been taught #1. But I find what I've been taught doesn't mean much these days.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Here's what wikipaedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Em_dash#Em_dash
Old 10-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
I also believe that #1 (no spaces) is the correct usage. I think it also looks better.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
I also believe that #1 (no spaces) is the correct usage. I think it also looks better.
I just asked my wife who used to teach English in the UK and she said #1 word—word is correct.
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Interestingly enough, only number 3 does not get flagged by MS Word as misspelling. It is also what I find easier to read.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
The no-space version also hurts wrapping, since most programs treat “one—two” as a single long word. That's a significant issue, depending on screen size and font size. I always edit the HTML files I'm going to convert to IMP format to change [one][emdash][two] style to [one][space][endash][space][two] format for wrapping reasons.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Historically #1 is correct. I favor #3. I also favor only one space after a period at the end of a sentence. (Two if you are using a monospaced font.)

In modern practice #1 and #3 are correct. #2 is correct only when dealing with dates.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie

The Wikipedia article agrees with you on that (two spaces) as an alternative. So, what works . . ..
Old 10-13-2007, 03:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My understanding is that #1 is the strictly correct version, but personally I prefer the appearance of #3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #11
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...I'd like to make books I format at least consistent with the correct usage. Thanks.
If you're interested in consistency in the e-book world, #1 is what is used by Distributed Proofreaders, the primary source of Gutenberg texts, for what it's worth.
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
For what it's worth, my understanding of current standard usage (at least in the US) is that the parenthetical em dash is set without spaces on either side; for those who dislike the unspaced em dash, the en dash with spaces is the usual alternative.
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But for situations where you don't have hyphenation, #3 is the better solution as #1 can and does make lines have really poor spacing.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But you probably shouldn't use the em-dash if you go for #3, but the shorter en-dash instead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:46 AM   #15
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
The no-space version also hurts wrapping, since most programs treat “one—two” as a single long word. That's a significant issue, depending on screen size and font size. I always edit the HTML files I'm going to convert to IMP format to change [one][emdash][two] style to [one][space][endash][space][two] format for wrapping reasons.
If you use zero width non-joiners you can get the best of both worlds ie:

Code:
‌&emdash;‌
andym is offline   Reply With Quote