Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #16
borisb
Edge User

Such APKs are sometimes available outside the Market, posted by the publisher of the app or others. Doing a Google search for "<app name> APK" helps you find these (just be wary of sites that may do drive-by malware installs on your computer ).

I found the following: http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/handycalc. Not sure how current a version it is.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
janvangastel
Edge User

Thanks Boris, but alas, it didn't work out. I could install the app, but when I tried to open it, I got the message 'expired'.
I found another one and installed it, replacing the first. It was only a demo.

How can I uninstall it again?

Last edited by janvangastel; 09-19-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
janvangastel
Edge User

Already found how to uninstall.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
OncTech
Edge User

APK for HandyCalc (I uploaded this myself):http://www.mediafire.com/?kt7jsjdt3fqbkzi

I love this app but it's "almost more calculator than you can handle" as one review put it. be sure to consult the tutorials.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvangastel View Post
Thanks Boris, but alas, it didn't work out. I could install the app, but when I tried to open it, I got the message 'expired'
Sorry about that. I had downloaded it but didn't have the time to install it yet. OncTech to the rescue!

Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #21
janvangastel
Edge User

Thank you very much OncTech. It works!! I will have a look at the tutorials.

Jan.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
panegyric
Edge User

Id really like a reference managment app. I love papers for my mac but would go for something simpler.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
Chubulor
Edge User

The plots by handycalc are pretty underwhelming...gray on black? Seriously?

Droid48, which is available for free in the Edge App Store, is a much more versatile calculator...it can even do 3d plots, symbolic derivatives, etc. Pretty steep learning curve though...it's an emulator of a graphing calculator from the 90s that was notable for being extremely powerful for its time but also complicated to use.

It would be nice to have an easy-to-use plotting app that produced nice-looking plots, maybe even in color if we want to get really wild. If I ever get any free time I'll probably start working on one.

Last edited by Chubulor; 10-23-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #24
janvangastel
Edge User

Handycalc plots grey on black when you only have one plot, but uses colors for more then one plot.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #25
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Handycalc plots grey on black when you only have one plot, but uses colors for more then one plot.
OK, I was going off of the screenshot examples on the web. After installing it it seems to be a nice piece of software.

I'd still like the ability to do 3d plots and save plots as images, though. You can save plots and equations and stuff but it's in some proprietary format.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #26
janvangastel
Edge User

I use it (Handycalc) often and it works well. I also downloaded DROID48 and found the (almost 700 pages) manual on the internet at http://www.educalc.net/217486.page. It looks a bit medieval, takes some time to learn how it works and resolution isn't great, but it really does a good job.

Handycalc doesn't do calculus. Therefore I use 'Calculus tools' (and since yesterday DROID48). But calculus tools does'nt work very well on the edge and it needs some upgrading work to make it a really good app. It's nice that apps are free or cost only a few dollars, but I would be willing to pay 10-20 times as much for a really good math application. Mabe that's too much money for an app used on a mobile phone, but the Edge is much more computer like and needs more sophisticated apps.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
PickleFish
Edge User

Wolfram Alpha

Quote:
I use it (Handycalc) often and it works well. I also downloaded DROID48 and found the (almost 700 pages) manual on the internet at http://www.educalc.net/217486.page. It looks a bit medieval, takes some time to learn how it works and resolution isn't great, but it really does a good job.

Handycalc doesn't do calculus. Therefore I use 'Calculus tools' (and since yesterday DROID48). But calculus tools does'nt work very well on the edge and it needs some upgrading work to make it a really good app. It's nice that apps are free or cost only a few dollars, but I would be willing to pay 10-20 times as much for a really good math application. Mabe that's too much money for an app used on a mobile phone, but the Edge is much more computer like and needs more sophisticated apps.
Hi-
I know this is a relatively old post, but I'm relatively new to the forum. And it's my first chance to help someone else for a change, so I hope it's not too late to help.

Try accessing Wolfram Alpha online on the tablet: http://www.wolframalpha.com
It's an amazingly useful site for plotting functions and a lot more. It's very user friendly too... you don't need to know how to use Mathematica syntax at all.