Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
...So you can leave (I don't think Canada requires a passport for entry), but you can't go back.
Great idea!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #47
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Would you really want a phone that will only work in the US? Don't you ever visit other countries?
It is always possible that Verizon's iPhone will be one of their "global phones". Meaning it would have a multi band antenna and SIM slot (preloaded with a Vodafone SIM).

Quote:
I agree; data roaming charges are crazy. Best thing to do is to buy a local SIM and put it into your phone, but of course you can't do that with a CDMA phone .

Perhaps I'm way off base here, but isn't CDMA a dying technology? I was under the (very possibly mistaken) impression that GSM and its successors had taken over now?
Verizon is beginning to transition to LTE. Though it won't happen overnight. I mean god, they haven't even transitioned their entire network to 3G (though they have done a better job than AT&T).

Quote:
Oh yes, I know that Verizon are still a CDMA network . What I meant was why would someone sign up with Verizon when world+dog is now GSM? Is it simply that they have better coverage than GSM providers in some areas of the US?
Specifically Verizon has coverage in areas that AT&T doesn't at all, period. Like where I was living until a couple months ago. Technically there was T-mobile coverage up there, but T-mobile doesn't have remotely as many US subscribers as big V.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #48
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Oh yes, I know that Verizon are still a CDMA network . What I meant was why would someone sign up with Verizon when world+dog is now GSM? Is it simply that they have better coverage than GSM providers in some areas of the US?
CDMA does have better coverage in parts of the US (although not where I live). It is also used in Canada, Latin America, China, India, Japan, and a few other places in Asia. Although GSM is still the global leader by a large margin.

Another problem with GSM is (or used to be) that even the American phones might have GSM, they broadcast on different frequencies than in Europe and other places. Thus when I went to South Africa a few years ago (when I had a T-Mobile phone), I still had to rent a global phone because even though my phone was GSM and S. Africa also used GSM, my phone couldn't communicate because of the frequency difference.

I can use my iPhone in Europe with no problem - except that I need to turn off data or I'll get killed with charges..
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #49
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
T-moble USA uses the same bands as Europe. Just unlock your phone and put in a different sim card and you are good to go.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #50
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I just wish data plans were not so high for the newer phones (You can get a unlimited everything but only on an older smartphone for <$50 a month). Or that there was a iPod touch with the screen size of a Droid. Or that there were many price-competitive Android-based versions of the iPod Touch.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #51
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
T-moble USA uses the same bands as Europe. Just unlock your phone and put in a different sim card and you are good to go.
They didn't in 2003...
Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 AM   #52
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
They didn't in 2003...

And they still do not. The USA uses 800MHZ and 1900MHZ for GSM, and Europe uses 900MHZ and 1800MHZ for GSM. Most recent phones can be either automatically or manually switched between the USA or European radio frequencies. UMTS adds even more possible radio frequencies into the mix.

Last edited by Dave_S; 01-10-2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Fixed a 100MHZ typo concerning Euro frequencies
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
And they still do not. The USA uses 800MHZ and 1900MHZ for GSM, and Europe uses 900MHZ and 1900MHZ for GSM. Most recent phones can be either automatically or manually switched between the USA or European radio frequencies. UMTS adds even more possible radio frequencies into the mix.
Virtually all phones now are either triple- or quad-frequency, meaning they'll work world-wide. You'll struggle to find a single-frequency handset these days. All the major handset manufacturers sell world-wide, and it's easier for them to make phones that can be sold anywhere in the world.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I just wish data plans were not so high for the newer phones (You can get a unlimited everything but only on an older smartphone for <$50 a month). Or that there was a iPod touch with the screen size of a Droid. Or that there were many price-competitive Android-based versions of the iPod Touch.
I'm not sure, though, that there are many people who need "unlimited" data. I have a contract for 1GB/month on my iPhone. I use it all day, every day, as a mobile internet device, and I've never yet hit 300MB in a month; in a typical month I'll use around 200-250MB. Mind you, having said that, I don't use sites like YouTube; perhaps it's sites like that which eat data allowances!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #55
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
I'm not sure, though, that there are many people who need "unlimited" data. I have a contract for 1GB/month on my iPhone. I use it all day, every day, as a mobile internet device, and I've never yet hit 300MB in a month; in a typical month I'll use around 200-250MB. Mind you, having said that, I don't use sites like YouTube; perhaps it's sites like that which eat data allowances!
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...hone-users.ars

The "rumour" is that Verizon will offer an unlimited data plan for the new iPhone tomorrow.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #56
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers

Quote:
I think what eats data allowances is streaming Pandora eight hours a day. I use my iPhone for mobile internet a lot, maybe look at one or two youtube videos per day, and will tether my netbook once or twice per month for an hour or so - but I still don't go much over 300 MB, and I'm typically at 200-250, too.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #57
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Or watching internet video...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #58
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
I use a lot of data e-mailing photos from my phone to friends and family, especially while traveling. Snap, add a brief caption and send. An instant digital postcard. My sister-in-law sends snaps of her kids. I love that I get to see goofy moments of the little buggers immediately. It makes for moments of feeling connected even when continents apart.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 01-10-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I use a lot of data e-mailing photos from my phone to friends and family, especially while traveling. Snap, add a brief caption and send. An instant digital postcard. My sister-in-law sends snaps of her kids. I love that I get to see goofy moments of the little buggers immediately. It makes for moments of feeling connected even when continents apart.
And how much data do you use in a typical month, Maggie? You'd need to send one heck of a lot of photographs to use even a fraction of a GB
Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #60
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
And how much data do you use in a typical month, Maggie? You'd need to send one heck of a lot of photographs to use even a fraction of a GB
I use several GBs a month. I dunno how many photos I send and receive. Data-wise, I don't use my phone for much else other than photos, e-mail and a few YouTubes of the kids. I use GPS-based apps for searching stuff, but I usually use my iPad for the Web.

I don't track usage much. I bought unlimited data so I don't have to. I have unlimited data on both devices. I won't switch to any carrier unless I can get unlimited for near what I'm paying under grandfathered rates in the U.S. Overseas, I buy unlimited data without a contract.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote