Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's natural that Android should out-perform iOS, given that there are so many Android handsets available at much lower prices than the iPhone. It would be interesting to know how Android is performing in the top end of the market, where it's competing in the same price range.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's natural that Android should out-perform iOS, given that there are so many Android handsets available at much lower prices than the iPhone. It would be interesting to know how Android is performing in the top end of the market, where it's competing in the same price range.
That would be interesting, though it's also worth pointing out that even at the low-end Android phones are increasing in capability. Being cheap doesn't necessarily mean that the phones are low in performance. Sure, at the moment the low-end Androids are slower and less-capable than the current iPhone, but high-end performance ripples down.

Doubtless future versions of the iPhone will keep pace with the premium end of the Android hardware range, but if the low-end of the Android range is giving more than adequate performance albeit perhaps in a smaller (and to many more preferable) device and screen size, then surely it will be reasonable to count the low-end phones as competition?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Doubtless future versions of the iPhone will keep pace with the premium end of the Android hardware range, but if the low-end of the Android range is giving more than adequate performance albeit perhaps in a smaller (and to many more preferable) device and screen size, then surely it will be reasonable to count the low-end phones as competition?

Graham
Absolutely, yes; I wasn't suggesting otherwise for a moment.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for posting. In case no one mentioned it, it's pretty certain that Verizon is going to announce iPhone availability on Tues 1/11.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Apple once again on route to oblivion. The price point of the iphone is just ridiculously high, more than half of my acquaintances how own an iphone bought it as a "status" device. They just go out and show off with their phones.

Well done to Apple, for achieving such a marketing miracle, but how long can it last? When you can get a similar or better device for 20-30% less.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
Apple once again on route to oblivion. The price point of the iphone is just ridiculously high, more than half of my acquaintances how own an iphone bought it as a "status" device. They just go out and show off with their phones.

Well done to Apple, for achieving such a marketing miracle, but how long can it last? When you can get a similar or better device for 20-30% less.
The do seem to be able to keep the dream alive for the percentage of the market they own....but yeah how long?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I usually recommend mid range Android devices to my freinds & relatives instead of buying an Iphone with the argument that they already have the Ipod touch for the games so they can enjoy both OS.
Just today I was talking to one of them about some of the new android phones coming up suddenly she looks up and says you know I haven't used my Ipod for weeks and I don't even know where I kept it last.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
The danger that I see Android running into is that there are too many releases coming out and too much churn. People are frustrated with Apple for this and they're only releasing once a year. Techies and gadget lovers want the latest and greatest but the mass market doesn't like their phone being obsolete in 6 months.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #24
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
The danger that I see Android running into is that there are too many releases coming out and too much churn. People are frustrated with Apple for this and they're only releasing once a year. Techies and gadget lovers want the latest and greatest but the mass market doesn't like their phone being obsolete in 6 months.
That may be true, but it's nothing new in the mobile phone arena. New hardware and new capabilities have been showing up at that pace since before the iPhone came out. It's just the way that market works.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
I think the iPhone is a damned good device personally. Expensive, yes, but for me personally, worth every penny. I'm very happy that there are lots of Android devices many people prefer, but for me personally, the iPhone is what I like.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #26
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
These numbers do seem to be in dispute - according to Nielson, iOs is still ahead. Although there's no dispute that Android is surging. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20026975-37.html

The interesting thing to me is that, so far, in the US as well as Europe, both iOs and Android's gains are coming at the expense of existing smartphone OS's, like Symbian or RIM, and not so much at the expense of each other. It will be interested to see what happens once they are more directly competing.

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't underestimate the appeal of a status device. And I don't know how much iPhones cost where you live, but at least in the US, you can buy a 3GS for $49; the 4 costs $199 or $299. Equivalent Android phones aren't cheaper. (And by some definitions, there are no equivalent phones, if you want the highest resolution screen or an iPod).

But this market is still developing, with only about 1/3 of mobile subscribers having a smartphone.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #27
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
One of the strenght of android is having multiple device.
Low end, high end, with physical keybord or without... Making it posible for almost everyone to find the phone matching his needs and want. One size fits all don't really exist.

Google seams to be decised to slow down with updates, they have also beging to update the gapps independantly.
What need doing is a bit of a system "a la windows" with google providing update for everyone. And the manufacturer providing the only drivers to google. And of course, require manufacturer to realease the driver for each new version until unless the hardware acctually can't support it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #28
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
...but those numbers may be skewed in the US, as iPhone subscribers dump AT&T and move to Verizon.

There, fixed it for you!
Oh believe me there are plenty of existing Verizon customers who want the iPhone, in places AT&T doesn't even cover.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Oh believe me there are plenty of existing Verizon customers who want the iPhone, in places AT&T doesn't even cover.
Iphone numbers definitely will go up with Verizon. But long term it is no contest with a single device with a small screen against all those choices offered by Android.

And, at least here in Asia, Apple service absolutely stinks to high heavens.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #30
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
For me, Google reigns supreme when it comes to information. They're using that to the fullest right now in terms of integrating their usual services (that everyone knows and loves) fully into the Android platform. In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if that trumps everything for the behind-the-times folks (like me, who just joined the already-obsolete ranks of 3G with the low-end (possibly midrange? I dunno) Samsung Transform ).

Think about it, Google's web services are already used by so many (even those who swear by Apple). There is nothing analogous that Apple offers to anyone who is not already invested in Apple hardware. And for the mobile platform, the hardware doesn't seem to be as much of a factor as it is when it comes to PCs. Google, by making their services free, has ensured a ready and waiting customer base to tap into - use our phone and you an seamlessly integrate all your current productivity apps into your phone. Apple has this too of course (as does MS), but the difference is that Google is far more universal than either of those since it's hardware independent.

And all this, without locking down their hardware and software. I'm far from an expert in these matters, and as a relative layperson in IT matters, it seems brilliantly played I would think.

Google seems to have spent all this time quietly building up a near-monopoly when it comes to information intensive services. Hell, the people I know with iPhones still use Google maps for navigation or searching for businesses, etc. .
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote