Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
HarperCollins: 'Some heaviest book buyers no longer visit bookstores'

No surprises for anybody here, but it's interesting to see the acknowledgment from one of the big 6. Now if they'd start reasonable pricing.

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/...visit-bookstor via SF Signal
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well don't shed a tear just yet for the book industry, they don't say book readers don't purchase books anymore, they say book readers are increasingly turning to e-books ...
Anyways, could you shed some light on the darkness that surrounds me ? Which are the big 6 ?

Harper Collins I suppose but who else ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Penguin, Random House, Little & Brown, Simon & Shuster, and MacMillan, I think.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
"HarperCollins: 'Some heaviest book buyers no longer visit bookstores'"

Perhaps the doorways should be widened.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post

Great first post!!! Welcome and Karma for you!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Well don't shed a tear just yet for the book industry, they don't say book readers don't purchase books anymore, they say book readers are increasingly turning to e-books ...
Anyways, could you shed some light on the darkness that surrounds me ? Which are the big 6 ?

Here's a list of the big 6 with a bit more details, including imprints.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
This is what happens when the talent is brought directly to the people.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post

+1

I thought the same thing when reading the topic title. Even wondered if bookstores started to ban the little power-scooter things.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The article is about eBooks, but I think the statement would be just as true if eBooks did not exist. More and more, mail order is the way to go.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
And of course Kindle is mentioned as the ereader. Why do they have to mention a brand? Or at least the top ones.

I don't hate Kindle, it wasn't the right one for my needs (Sony fit perfectly) but I wish that it wasn't the main one mentioned when ereaders are brought up in news, whether newspapers or others.

I hope it does widen the door and lets the big six realize that they need to rethink how ebooks are formated, proofread, edited, pricing and anything else (what planet am I on, I think somehow I must have left Earth ).
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette55 View Post
And of course Kindle is mentioned as the ereader. Why do they have to mention a brand? Or at least the top ones.

I don't hate Kindle, it wasn't the right one for my needs (Sony fit perfectly) but I wish that it wasn't the main one mentioned when ereaders are brought up in news, whether newspapers or others.
They use Kindle because it is the most recognizable e-reader, at least here in the States. Before I came to this site I had no idea there were e-readers that were not a Kindle or Nook, so I'm guessing the average person won't know that either.

In fact, in the 4+ months I've had my Kindle, I have still not seen one ad (TV, online or otherwise) for anything other Kindle or Nook.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
A couple of years ago Sony ran some TV ads featuring Justin Timberlake, but I haven't seen anything recently.

Most Kindle TV ads don't even tell you what a Kindle is or does -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PERiTMZ626M

I don't really think the Kindle is so popular due to advertising as much as it's due to Amazon's ability to garner media attention.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
A couple of years ago Sony ran some TV ads featuring Justin Timberlake, but I haven't seen anything recently.

Most Kindle TV ads don't even tell you what a Kindle is or does -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PERiTMZ626M

I don't really think the Kindle is so popular due to advertising as much as it's due to Amazon's ability to garner media attention.
The Kindle, besides having a great design, is popular due to:

- Outstanding customer service
- Outstanding book selection and prices
- Outstanding purchase and deliverly system

No other ereader vendor comes even close to surpasing Amazon.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post

When you mention prices? Are you speaking of the prices for the ebooks?
Which is determined by the price that the publishers want out there (at least for new releases) that Amazon really does not have any say about?

I just don't see where this shows how much better Amazon is from any other vendor who sales the new release book for about the same price.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post

Sigh.

Not another one.

The Kindle, and Amazon, do have their flaws, as often discussed here. I'm not going to get into all that again.

Every e-reader and vendor has its strengths and weaknesses. No device is perfect, nor vendor, either.

I'm glad you like what you have. I wouldn't touch it with a stick, myself.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote