Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #241
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post

There's like 2 or 3 Android device companies who haven't caved to Microsoft's extortion and paid up for a license they don't actually need to buy, so finding a tablet that doesn't pay Microsoft is going to be difficult.
They may not NEED to pay Microsoft (for FAT file system support) but it's a very useful thing to have on a tablet if you do want to read external storage media.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #242
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
There's like 2 or 3 Android device companies who haven't caved to Microsoft's extortion and paid up for a license they don't actually need to buy, so finding a tablet that doesn't pay Microsoft is going to be difficult.
I really hope they do not pay for the FAT in Nexus 7 since it does not uses FAT in any way.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I really hope they do not pay for the FAT in Nexus 7 since it does not uses FAT in any way.
... which is of course one of the reasons that it offers neither an SD card slot, nor USB-OTG mass storage support. Someone earlier in the thread said, if memory serves me correctly, that the FAT licence fee is 25c per device? That's a very small price indeed to pay for the ability to be able to used external storage media.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #244
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
They have the option of using a different file system, thought the mass confusion that would ensue would probably cost a lot more than the licensing. But if they want to stand on priniciple...!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #245
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
They have the option of using a different file system, thought the mass confusion that would ensue would probably cost a lot more than the licensing. But if they want to stand on priniciple...!
I wonder if it will even be able to access FAT-formatted WiFi storage media like the NAS that Tommy mentioned? Or is remote file access "file-system agnostic"? Not something I've ever given a thought to before.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-12-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #246
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... which is of course one of the reasons that it offers neither an SD card slot, nor USB-OTG mass storage support. Someone earlier in the thread said, if memory serves me correctly, that the FAT licence fee is 25c per device? That's a very small price indeed to pay for the ability to be able to used external storage media.
Well, but that was not the reason at all according to the postings I cited. The guy I cited said that this was just an unimportant side effect.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #247
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wonder if it will even be able to access FAT-formatted WiFi storage media like the NAS that Tommy mentioned? Or is remote file access "file-system agnostic"? Not something I've ever given a thought to before.
They are accessible using samba or maybe nfs also. So the file system does not matter.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #248
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Especially considering that we (the users) could easily have this included for the same price.
Keep telling yourself that.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #249
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, what tompe said.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #250
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks. I thought it probably was, but better to ask.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #251
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Even leaving aside the FAT license, almost all Android manufacturers are paying Microsoft for patent licenses for technologies (Microsoft say are) included in Android, so it really will be difficult to avoid sending money Microsoft's way
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #252
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Even leaving aside the FAT license, almost all Android manufacturers are paying Microsoft for patent licenses for technologies (Microsoft say are) included in Android, so it really will be difficult to avoid sending money Microsoft's way
Those're the ones I meant - only a couple companies who make Android devices haven't caved yet on those.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #253
LarryT63
LarryT63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
what I'm saying is. unless you are on an extended vacation, how much video do you need to carry, before you go home and sync or download another movie(s) to replace it/them?
LarryT63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #254
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT63 View Post
what I'm saying is. unless you are on an extended vacation, how much video do you need to carry, before you go home and sync or download another movie(s) to replace it/them?
The answer will vary per person. That's kind of the point.
Do you realize the subtext of a question phrased the way is "I know the right answer is the amount I want, and anyone with a different answer is wrong."

And if you search the forums, you'll see I've asked the same question.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #255
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
At some point you are going to have to move beyond the belief that everyone who doesn't share your values is stupid.
There are many people who actually don't care about it.
Now because big bad Apple has clouded their minds, just because it isn't something they care about.
Getting less but not paying less, what a great deal . You really got me there. How could I miss that?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote