Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Should I get a Kindle 1

So I am in the market for an ereader again. I had the astak, but I given up on it, as I had issues, and even though it was under warranty I saw others saying when they got it back the problems occurred again so I just ate my losses.

Now I see local to me, there is a Kindle 3 (wifi only) for $110 with a case and a Kindle 1 for $85.

Kindle 1 seemes more appealing because of the Whispernet, but am I missing anything with going with the Kindle 1? Or would I be content reading ebooks on the Kindle 1? Right now I am using the Kindle app on my Droid.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Pros:
Shape of the Kindle 1 is more interesting than the graphite/white slab of the Kindle 3.
The Kindle 1 box is much better than the Kindle 3 one :P
You get CDMA Whispernet for the Kindle 1 whilst the Kindle 3 WiFi is WiFi only.
Replaceable battery and memory card slot on the Kindle 1 (From Kindlekitten's post)

Cons:
Older software on the Kindle 1 which doesn't get upgrades now.
Screen isn't as good on the Kindle 1. Slower refresh and lower contrast.
Kindle 1 is larger and heavier.
The Kindle 1 is CDMA only and won't work outside of the US.
The Kindle 1 doesn't have WiFi at all.

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-18-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the screen is not terribly different than a Kindle 2 (don't have the 3). the biggest drawback is possibly the page turn buttons. they aren't terribly bad, I got used to mine, and I was going to wait on a K3, but ended up with the K2 because the person I gave it to died. the one really nice thing about the K1 is the ability to replace the battery and having the memory card. for that reason alone I will always keep my K1 even though I don't use it, I send my "keeper" books to it.

just make sure that everything is in full working order before you complete the transaction, INCLUDING being able to register it as we have had some nightmares reported in here.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
K3 is much, much, much, much nicer in every way but whispernet. Don't buy the K1.

I wouldn't buy the used K3 either. It might be stolen. Just buy a new one from amazon, they're really cheap.
haroldgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

No not stolen at all. Guy was disappointed in K3. K1 is already deregistered and I think they want to upgrade and why they are selling that one.

Everything is in working order, and the K3 comes with a case he got.

The memory card thing may be the selling factor (plus Whispernet). Though I don't know how much whispernet is that big of a deal. I mean there is a bagel shop here at work with free wifi, so I can just go there if I want to download something (purchase on my phone, then go to shop to sync it).

and I rather 110 bucks for a 140 buck kindle witha 40 dollar case it much cheaper, and I get it in my hands right now, and not pay for shipping, or wait.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I'd get the K3 personally. If you're near a computer then you can always load in items via USB as well.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Go with the K3. K1 does not have collections and is just not as powerful.

I love Tavar, my K1, but I rarely use him in favor of Octavian, my DXG. I thinking of getting a K3 for travel.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The K3 is really a much better piece of hardware than the K1.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'd go K3 as well. My eyes would like the better contrast.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
rock
Addict

Yeah guys are selling me on the K3 lol.

I guess for 25 bucks more it is better to go with the better hardware huh.

I saw a nook too, but I think that is just out of the question lol.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Better hardware and a warranty.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
The Kindle 1 has some nifty things like the memory card but at this point - how long that eInk screen is going to last is a crapshoot.

Personally I'd take a K3 over it any day of the week.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
VerizonLover
VerizonLover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Pros:
Replaceable battery and memory card slot on the Kindle 1 (From Kindlekitten's post)

Actually, use can replace the battery in the Kindle 3, as shown in this video on YouTube. The video even tells you where to get replacement batteries.
VerizonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Of course Kindle 2 / 3 battery is subject to be easy replaced. I bought a replacement 1500mAh battery for my Kindle 2 for less than 20$ (incl. delivery).

Kindle 1 if used more than a 2 years will soon have capacitors leaked/dried, microcracks in the mainboard or in the device case, battery need to be replaced, may be SD card will have bad sectors soon if heavily used.

In your case it is not a big deal, only 25 bucks to save.

Of course, Whispernet is a big deal - why you don't go Kindle 3 Wifi+3G? It even have (at additional cost) lighted case. My Kindle 2 is 3G international and I am very happy with this.

Mine Kindle 2 is second hand too, but it was used only 2 months. I bought replacement battery in mistake - Kindle arrived with empty battery and I was shocked and bought a battery but then I realised that the seller had put a lot of books before sent and thus indexing was emptied the battery. So now i kept this battery sealed - brand new as a replacement.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Can you hold off until Black Friday before you decide? The nook WiFi is going to be sold new for $99. I would not be surprised to see Amazon meet that price for K3 WiFi. If they don't, you'll have only wasted a week of waiting.

I love my K1 but if you are only going to have one reader, I would put up the most current technology.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote