Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevilleagirl View Post
What you have described is exactly what I get but nothing shows on the pc,it just doesn't seemto acknowledge the presence of the story. If I hit enter once it waits and then goes straight to library menu, when i hit enter twice it does show the updating database please wait and then goes to the library screen again. Resetting didn't help. Nothing on the pc at all.I don't know what to do.
OK, so based on that, it sounds like the Story may be doing the right thing, but the PC is either not seeing the device or doesn't want to talk to it.

It may be a setting in your PC, or it may be the cable or USB port. But first, to help narrow down what's happening: do you have any other devices that connect via USB? Does this PC see them OK?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
grevilleagirl
grevilleagirl began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Only a camera and it works fine, haven't tried another computer yet will have to borrow someone's to find out. Thanks.
grevilleagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
grevilleagirl

Ok have just tried an old HP laptop that was given to me. It's never been used and everything on it would be so out of date it's not funny [no internet]. Nevertheless when I connected to the story sure enough the laptop screen recognized the story with blank screen showing story[E] so obviously it recognizes it as drive E. I used the usb hub and the cable that came with the story. So everything is obviously working from that end and it appears to be the pc but I DON'T KNOW WHAT. Unfortunately this laptop is not very good and flickers in and out so I can't really use it. Any more suggestions as to what could be upsetting my pc.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
grevilleagirl

Have just tried something else, start, control panel, printers and other hardware, add hardware, wizard comes up>next goes into search function then an option to yes i have already connected hardware or no. I started story waited until library came up plugged in usb to story entered connect remote device and then selected on pc the option yes have already connected hardware. Finally something shows up on pc screen. Very first item is iriver but with the yellow and black exclamation mark, Followed instructions which was basically just a troubleshoot but nothing helped and the exclamated iriver had then disappeared from the list. jUST WHEN i THOUGHT IT ALL MIGHT HAPPEN nothing.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #20
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, so it sounds to me like your Story is working OK, and so are the cables. The problem seems to be at your regular PC.

You said it comes up with a drive letter E, but when you try to put something on the Story it asks you to insert a disk? Perhaps it's doing what WinXP sometimes does, which is to assign a drive letter to a new device that's already in use.

Do you already have an E: drive (a CD or DVD drive, most likely) before you plug the Story in?

If you do, we've got to make Windows give the Story a drive letter that isn't already assigned to something else.

So:
1) boot up your Story, plug it in, connect it via USB,
2) Go to "My Computer on your desktop, right-click it, and choose the option "Manage"
3) In the dialogue that comes up, Click on "Disk Management" (you'll find it under "Storage"
4) In a few seconds, a list will come up on the right-hand side of the dialogue listing all the hardware devices on your system that have been assigned drive letters
5) The Story should be listed there, presumably with an E: drive letter assigned to it. Is there another device with the same drive letter?
6) Right-click on the Story, and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
7) In the dialogue that comes up, click on Change, and then in the drop-down box that comes up change the drive letter to the Story down the list to the next drive letter that isn't in use.
8) OK your way out of the dialogues.

Now, how are we doing?

(Oh, one last thing: when you disconnect the Story, are you in the habit of "stopping" the USB connection first? You really should. You double-click on the USB icon in the System Tray down in the bottom-right of your screen - the one that looks like a USB stick with a green arrow above it - then in the "Safely Remove Hardware" window click on the entry representing your Story and click "Stop". It'll then tell you it's safe to remove the device.)

Let us know how you do, yeah?
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
grevilleagirl

The only disks coming up are Disk 0 which is basic and Disk 1 for removable[E] no media. No sign of iriver. always disconnect through safely remove hardware usb icon not always there.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #22
MacEachaidh
Browser

OK, that "removable media" is probably the Story. Have you tried changing the drive letter anyway?

If that doesn't help, next step:

When you plug the iRiver in, and go into Device Manager, did I understand correctly that it has the yellow asterisk beside it? Click once on the device once (to highlight it) and choose remove. Remove it completely, shut down your PC and then restart it, and plug the Story back in, and see how you go.

(I'm trying to get the PC to recognise the Story afresh. I have one more suggestion after this, but it's a bit more involved.)
Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #23
grevilleagirl

The only reference i have seen to iriver was when i went into control panel, printers and hardware, add hardware. Wizard comes up press next it goes into search function and brings up the options yes have already connected hardware or no have not. Before hitting either option boot up story plugged in story and entered remote device connect. PRESS THE YES OPTION AND THERE IS THE IRIVER WITH A YELLOW EXCLAMATION MARK at the start of the list of installed hardware. Pressed next but shows hardware is working properly. Not my experience doesn't that been there is a problem. Under device manager it has always shown as usb mass storage and have removed and reinstalled numerous times but no good.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #24
MacEachaidh
Browser

OK, so if the Story isn't creating the E drive, do you know what is?

With the Story plugged in, if you right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Explore", when the window comes up, how many drives are showing? What is it saying the E: drive actually is?

Also, if you right-click on "My Computer" and choose Properties, and go into Hardware | Device Manager, is there anything at all in there with the yellow exclamation mark? Especially in the "Disk Drives" and "Universal Serial Bus controller" sections?

(Hang in there - I'm trying to narrow down why it's not responding to the Story correctly.)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #25
grevilleagirl

OK WE HAVE LOCAL DISC C NO PROBLEMS TO BE EXPECTED THEN YP-U2[d] WHICH IS A SAMSUNG MP3 THEN REMOVABLE DISC E. nOTHING SHOWING WITH YELLOW EXCLAMATION MARK UNDER HARDWARE.iF i PRESS REMOVE HARDWARE AND UNPLUG STORY THEN USB MASS STORAGE SHOWS WITH YELLOW EXCLAMATION MARK.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #26
MacEachaidh
Browser

Ah, OK, so your MP player is drive D.

When you went into "Manage" from my computer, what details did it give you about the device it had assigned drive E: to? If you right-click on it and get "Properties" what does it tell you?

And when you remove the Story, there's still an item in USB Mass Storage marked with a yellow exclamation mark? What happens if you click on that item and delete it, then restart your PC? Will the Story connect now?

One other thing: Under My Computer | Manage, did you try changing the drive letter? This will help reset the way the PC looks at that device; if it has put settings in your registry for that device already, they may be incorrect or misconfigured, but at the moment every time you plug the device back in again it just reloads those same settings. You have to make the PC make the connection completely anew.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 10-04-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
grevilleagirl

1.Says dell usb mass storage usb device.
2. No story doesn't start.
3. Yes did shange drive letter but no luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #28
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevilleagirl View Post
1.Says dell usb mass storage usb device.
Sorry, where is this? On the E: drive in My Computer/Manage?
Or in the Device Manager?
Other than your MP player, do you have anything else plugged in via USB?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #29
grevilleagirl

SHOWS DELL USB MASS STORAGE USB DEVICE UNDER E IN COMPUTER/MANAGE. uNDER HARDWARE IN DEVICE MANAGE HAVE UNDER DISK DRIVES: DELL USB MASS STORAGE USB DEVICE AND UNDER USB CONTROLLERS THE USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE. NOTHING ELSE CONNECTED VIA USB AT THE MOMENT, EVEN MP. iT IS JUST SHOWING UP AS D UNDER COMPUTER, BUT NO DEVICE /MANAGE. COULD THAT BE CAUSING A PROBLEM OR AM I JUST CLUTCHING AT STRAWS. AND IF I HAVE TO REMOVE IT PLEASE HOW?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #30
n0rd
n0rd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura H2O Ed.2
try the utility USBDeview by NirSoft (google for it, its freeware)
run it, in the "description" column you will find "iriver Story USB Device"
and on the "drive" column you find the assigned drive letters (must be 2 letters not used by other connected drive)

you may try to force xp to reinstall the driver
right click on "iriver Story USB Device" and select "Uninstall Selected Devices"

then disconnect/connect the iriver and wait for the installation of the driver
n0rd is offline   Reply With Quote