Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #31
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgeek View Post
Yup, my method only works for ePub books, but once you've made the changes to the ePub book, you can then use Calibre to convert them to Mobi, and they should display perfectly on the Kindle without the left and right margins
Have you actually successfully done this?
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #32
geekgeek
geekgeek doesn't littergeekgeek doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
Have you actually successfully done this?
Yes I have, so that's pretty strange!

Basically I had a bunch of ePub books with a huge left margin, and I was advised to use Sigil to edit the CSS stylesheets, which I did, and I then subsequently used Calibre to convert them to Mobi and transferred them onto my K3. The margins were indeed no longer there!
geekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #33
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Basically I had a bunch of ePub books with a huge left margin, and I was advised to use Sigil to edit the CSS stylesheets, which I did, and I then subsequently used Calibre to convert them to Mobi and transferred them onto my K3. The margins were indeed no longer there!
Hey! They just released the ource code for the kindle 3.This means we can adjust the margins to zero?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #34
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
On my Kindle 2, you can edit the default left/right margins. You don't even need to install any packages or jailbreak! I don't know if this will work for Kindle 3 or not, as I don't have one. But for earlier versions, hook the Kindle up to your computer and open the following file with your favorite text editor (e.g. notepad):
Code:
\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref
You will see a line like the following:
Code:
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=20
The default is 20 pixels (on each side). Change it as you desire; 0 does work if that is what you want. Once you have changed it, save the file, eject your Kindle, and restart it using the menu (Menu > Settings, Menu > Restart). Your margins should now have changed.
Thanks isotherm, it works just fine on my the Kindle3.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 AM   #35
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
Thanks isotherm, it works just fine on my the Kindle3.
I have tried this but it won't stick, just reverts back to 40 for me, odd...

This is the text I have

#User preferences for Reader Booklet
#Thu Sep 02 08:46:16 GMT+01:00 2010
FONT_SIZE=17
DICTIONARY=The New Oxford American Dictionary
LINE_SPACING=1
JUSTIFICATION=full
LAST_BOOK_READ=/mnt/us/documents/Hamilton, Peter F_/Evolutionary Void, The - Peter F. Hamilton.mobi
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40
FONT_FAMILY=condensed

Last edited by grizedale; 09-02-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #36
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:

So, the text on you K3 goes from bezel to bezel with no white margin?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #37
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
I have tried this but it won't stick, just reverts back to 40 for me, odd...
I tried it and it worked beautifully. Try this:

1) Go to Home on your Kindle (it is important that you have all your books closed)
2) Attach the Kindle to your pc, find the file \system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pre f and change the margins as you please.
3) Unplug the Kindle, go to settings and make a restart (do not open any book before the restart).

Now you should have the margin width you chose; changing font size, font typeface and line spacing doesn't reset the margins value. On the other hand if you change "words per line" it does reset the margin to the default value (40pixels).
Basically this has solved the problem for me.
Thank you all guys!!

Last edited by olis; 09-02-2010 at 03:55 AM.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #38
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:

1) Go to Home on your Kindle (it is important that you have all your books closed)
2) Attach the Kindle to your pc, find the file \system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pre f and change the margins as you please.
3) Unplug the Kindle, go to settings and make a restart (do not open any book before the reastart).

Now you should have the margin width you chose; changing font size, font typeface and line spacing doesn't reset the margins value.
On the other hand if you change "words per line" it does reset the margin to the default value (40pixels).
Basically this has solved the problem for me. Thank you all guys!!
Perfect, thank you, I had a book open is the reason it failed, soooo happy.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #39
geekgeek

Ok it doesn't go exactly bezel to bezel, but the resulting margin is more acceptable to me, perhaps I had misunderstood the meaning of removing the left and right margins.

Ok on the left is my original ePub file, on the right is the same file after editing with Sigil and conversion to Mobi. I now realise that there *IS* still a left and right margin, but I felt that it was small enough to be acceptable.

I am piqued now though, we can do bezel to bezel with no space between text and bezel?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 AM   #40
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:

I am piqued now though, we can do bezel to bezel with no space between text and bezel?
Yes, using the above method bezel to bezel is a reality. I have the margin set to 10 just to avoid the shadow of the bezel

Last edited by grizedale; 09-02-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #41
geekgeek

Cool stuff grizedale!

Thanks to olis, and isotherm, no more bezels!

Last edited by geekgeek; 09-02-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #42
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Brilliant !
Thanks, all
Karma on the way.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What a splendid find. I do find that no margin at all is too close to the bezel. 10 does seem good. This is on a Kindle 2i
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #44
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

3) Unplug the Kindle, go to settings and make a restart (do not open any book before the restart).

Now you should have the margin width you chose; changing font size, font typeface and line spacing doesn't reset the margins value. On the other hand if you change "words per line" it does reset the margin to the default value (40pixels).
Basically this has solved the problem for me.
Thank you all guys!!
That worked on mine too. I must have done something wrong the first time. Very cool. Setting to 10 looks good.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Yes, the Kindle LG WiFi 3 can eliminate all margins using the Text key. I have one eBook set that way and another not set that way. One uses the 5 way controller to set the number of words per line.

I only use AZW - Amazon - books however.
What exactly is your method? The one described above or something else?