Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
scrappnjoyce
scrappnjoyce began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Shut-down?

How does one actualyl shut down the reader?I went to Settings/advanced settings/device shut down and it says "Press MARK to shutdown this device" What is MARK?? Bookmark? I pressed bookmark and it seems to have... well, bookmarked the last page I was on without shutting down the reader. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Joyce
scrappnjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I thought it was bookmark. Did you try the circular button on the right?

I just use the slider button.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
The mark button is the button who serves to bookmark a page of a eBook in the reader.

At the button, from the left side one as the zoom button, the page advance and go back big button and then a small button (same size as the zoom one), this is the mark button.

Also, one can find it in the 505 user manual (UK version pages 8, 10 and 50).
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
The slide button does not shut down the reader, just puts it into "sleep mode".
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappnjoyce View Post
How does one actualyl shut down the reader?I went to Settings/advanced settings/device shut down and it says "Press MARK to shutdown this device" What is MARK?? Bookmark? I pressed bookmark and it seems to have... well, bookmarked the last page I was on without shutting down the reader. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Joyce
Shutting down the device is a multi-step process.
1. Go to Settings from the main menu. (Button 0)
2. Select "Advanced Settings" (Button 5)
3. Select "Device Shutdown" (Button 3)
A screen instructing you to press "Mark" will pop up. Press the bookmark button while this screen is showing to finish the shutdown process

The bookmark button is a multi-function button. If you press it once while you are viewing a book, it will place a bookmark. If you press and hold it while viewing a book, it will bring up a list of every bookmark in memory (not just the bookmarks for that book).

In other cases, the bookmark button functions as a confirmation button. You use it to confirm deletion when deleting a book directly from the device (as opposed to deleting it when it's connected to your computer), and you also use it to confirm shutdown.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
shadrock
shadrock began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Fledchen is absolutely right
shadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
scrappnjoyce
scrappnjoyce began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks all--

So do you think - now I feel stupid- that my battery has been draining so damn quickly because I have just been sliding the top button and not shutting down this whole time??
scrappnjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
So do you think - now I feel stupid- that my battery has been draining so damn quickly because I have just been sliding the top button and not shutting down this whole time??
No, that wouldn't be it (I do that and don't have a problem)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
No, that wouldn't be it (I do that and don't have a problem)
I agree with lilac. I've been using the slider to go into sleep mode for the past year and have noticed no decrease in battery life.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
As the others said, no. I'd suggest that you check that the music player's not playing, and if you're using memory cards, see if you can try without them and see if that makes any difference.

Other than that, copying books across other than via the Sony software might have an effect, as the first time they're opened (or the font size changed) the Reader needs to do some formatting which will drain the battery more than just reading.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote