Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #76
Colaveare
Colaveare began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I had that same issue also at some point.

I know this might sound weird but try doing the following.
Remove the author name completely from calibre.
Run script.
Then re-add the author.
Re-run script.

It did solve it for me when I had this issue with the apostrophe with an author.
Colaveare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #77
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Da_Jane: See if version 0.91 sorts your problems. I have reworked the routine that handles URL's so that it should now (I hope) correctly escape non-ASCII characters. To get it go to the first message in this thread.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #78
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
calibre2web catalog creation error

If a category name follows the following pattern:

"XXXXXX & XXXXXXX", ie: "Mystery & Crime", the resulting XML file will cause an error in Stanza, IE and Firefox.

The error is related to the ampersand in the title, and can be avoided by using "&" instead of "&"

Cheers

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #79
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Is there a reason that some catalogs fully download and others do not or why some ebooks have the download ability and others do not?
I found out, in my own case that having a "&" in a title or category, would cause that xml file not to load. Need to replace "&" with "&".

I had a number of catalog file that did not load at all, and there seemed to be no reason for it. Until I stumbled across this.

Cheers

Art
Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #80
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are right - not all special characters in tags were being handled. This is now fixed in the latest release.

N.B. If people have problems the fix to the Calibre2Web sscript is normally very easy - but I need to know qbout them to fix them!
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #81
artbatista
Groupie

There is a still a problem, the category page now loads, but when I click on the "Action & Adventure" link, I get:

http://tradewars.dnsdojo.org/images/Capture.PNG

This link has books where the tag is "Action/Adventure" and it works:

http://tradewars.dnsdojo.org/stanza/...Category13.xml

This one is "Action & Adventure" and it fails:

http://tradewars.dnsdojo.org/stanza/...Category20.xml

I believe this is the culprit at line 4:

<title>Action & Adventure</title>

That "&" should be "&amp"

Cheers

Art

Last edited by artbatista; 06-06-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #82
itimpi
Wizard

See if the version 0.93 I have now uploaded fixes your problem. It seems to be doing the correct thing with the test cases I tried.

If not, perhaps you might consider letting me have a copy of your metadata.db file (zip it to keep the size down) so that I can test against your data?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #83
artbatista
Groupie

Still gives an error when there is an "&" in the tag. ("Action & Adventure). It's better that it was. Originally, the categories page would not load at all. Now, it loads, but clicking in "Action & Adventure" fails to load that page.

http://tradewars.dnsdojo.org/images/Capture2.PNG

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
<generator>Calibre2Web v0.93</generator>
<title>Action & Adventure</title>
<id>urn:Calibre:Category20:</id>
<link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="http://www.example.com/catalog.atom" />
<updated>2009-6-7T10:43:46Z</updated>
<author>
<name>itimpi</name>
<uri>http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net</uri>
</author>

Here is a link to the metadata file:

http://tradewars.dnsdojo.org/stanza/metadata.zip

Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
See if the version 0.93 I have now uploaded fixes your problem. It seems to be doing the correct thing with the test cases I tried.

If not, perhaps you might consider letting me have a copy of your metadata.db file (zip it to keep the size down) so that I can test against your data?

Last edited by artbatista; 06-07-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #84
itimpi
Wizard

Thanks for providing the metadata.db file - it was much easier trying to re-create the issue with yours than me trying to add an appropriate test case to mine.

The version of Calibre2Web I have now uploaded fixes the specific problem you mentioned above. It was a trivial fix once I had finally located where the fix needed to go (isn't it always ). Let me know if any other issues surface.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #85
artbatista
Groupie

Outstanding!

It works now. I'll be on the lookout for any more problems.

Funny thing is, all this time I have read that the catalog load problems were due to bugs in Stanza, and have been pursuing the problem on their forums.

I just happened to stumble across this yesterday.

Thank you

Art
Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #86
itimpi
Wizard

The problem with using Stanza is that whatever the problem in loading a catalog it only one has error message. At least that is better than it was in earlier releases where it tended to crash!

My test is that if it fails in loading over a local WiFi link it is probably a problem in the catalog file contents, but if it only fails over the telephone network then it is typically a network issue.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #87
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
itimpi, any news on the (Python) rewrite? :)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #88
itimpi
Wizard

I ran into issues, and as the vbscript version works so well for me that I have not had a huge incentive to put a lot of effort into it. A significant requirement (for me at least) is that I want the result to run on a minimal linux system (my NAS box) under an Apache web server without using all the libraries that Calibre normally uses.

It is still on my list of "things to do" so I will probably have another look again soon. Sometimes when you come back to things, what was an issue at the time turns out to have a trivial solution.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #89
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I ran into issues, and as the vbscript version works so well for me that I have not had a huge incentive to put a lot of effort into it. A significant requirement (for me at least) is that I want the result to run on a minimal linux system (my NAS box) under an Apache web server without using all the libraries that Calibre normally uses.

It is still on my list of "things to do" so I will probably have another look again soon. Sometimes when you come back to things, what was an issue at the time turns out to have a trivial solution.
Hmm, how about coding it in PHP? Much easier to learn than Python and it works just fine for quick and dirty jobs, not to mention you'd be able to use it for dynamic page generation.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #90
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Note that the calibre-server no longer requires Qt/X to run, so you should be able to just patch it and have it run on your NAS box
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote