Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #76
ng7apoc
ng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo (Pre-Ordered!)
Interesting question, for me this has simply one answer - to get me into reading again!

I used to be a avid reader, always reading something but a few years ago after being seriously ill I lost the ability to concentrate on what I was reading, and take it all in. As someone who used to remember every detail and be fully focused on what I was reading this was a massive disappointment that led to me reading very little.

Things have improved a bit since then and the hope is that with my love of technology, the wide and varied choice of books all available instantly that I may, hopefully be able to start reading as I did before.
ng7apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #77
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I ran out of room for my books years and had resorted to yearly after dark drop-offs at my neighborhood library. Then we began to travel........

No room in the motor home for dtb. Then, one day, at Borders, my daughter inntroduced me to my Sony 505. I have been happily reading eBooks ever since.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #78
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Obviously, you need a new, much bigger house.
That's just for the books, right?
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #79
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I work in a small town in the summer with a very small library open 10 hour a week. No booksellers of any kind.

I got a Sony PRS-300 for 374.98 and even though the price soon went down dramatically I have never regretted it.

I don't hate paper books, but much, much, much prefer ebooks.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #80
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As many others have stated, space was one issue... I also had a lot of technical books as PDF's that I couldn't manage to sit in front of a computer screen long enough to read, so I wanted something more portable.
I tried several devices including a Handspring Treo 90 and the Franklin eBookMan until I found the RCA REB1100 (RocketBook) which was backlit and allowed me to carry around multiple books (especially after I added a 128MB SmartMedia card). I can't even remember where I got it, but probably some electronic surplus place. Again, as others have mentioned, I discovered FictionWise and Baen and began consuming fiction on it. It still didn't address my PDF needs, and the conversion tools were not that helpful. I was happy with the REB1100 and especially loved the built in dictionary, but I still needed a way to read PDF's...
While traveling, I saw an early Sony eInk device (probably the 500 or the 505) at Borders... I'd heard of them, but couldn't afford the high prices they wanted. I'd also gotten used to touch screens from the Treo 90, Axim X5, REB1100, and other devices... I eventually ran across a refurb Sony PRS600 on Woot... touchscreen, but not backlit... I bit the bullet and while it was a shift going from the REB1100 to the PRS600, I fell in love with it. It could actually do PDF, but it was a bit of a pain, so I was a LITTLE closer to THAT goal anyway...
I eyed the Kindles when they came out, but I liked the touchscreen and the more minimalist design of the Sony... I thought the keyboard made it too chunky and ugly... I also looked at the nook and disliked it for the same reasons as the Kindle.
I know the 600 had a bit of an issue with glare due to the touchscreen as well as some of the screens fading in direct sunlight, but those issues didn't bother me enough to make me upgrade to the 650, although when I saw a deal on the T1, I decided to upgrade...
I now have a couple of tablets to handle my PDF's, so I'm good on that score as well, although I use my T1 for most reading.

Last edited by hwlester; 09-25-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #81
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Smile

My family didn't get any dedicated e-readers until recent years, unless you count the Franklin portable KJV Bible thingy (with word game cartridge) we've had for well over a decade ( present). I heard about ereaders 2000-ish from the Rivenguild fan group, based on the Myst & Riven adventure games whose magical portals were moving images inside old books.

The Sony press release for the upcoming e-readers caught the group's imagination, and we could all see the potential. In fact, that was the same time period in which I was introduced to the Gutenberg Project, with lots of lovely old ebook classics I hadn't read in awhile, and many more totally new to me. Loved the idea, but the price tag meant I was destined to drool from a distance. :

I did my e-reading on computers until the last few years. DH is a reader too, and was having more trouble with the fonts in our beloved pbooks, so we prioritized getting him an ereader with big font choices. We went with Kobo first for him and my Mom. Mom's unit worked fine, but DH got a series of lemons Despite the issues, I could tell that being able to have plenty of books on tap was a winning idea for us, and my family gave me a Nook last Christmas which has become my constant companion. Now my kids are enjoying the same experience thanks to those cheap PanDigital Novels available.

I do enjoy my stacks of solid books, but they take up a lot of space and are getting pricier even 2ndhand, so being able to download old happy freebies is an awesome choice. There is a library here, but not everyone in the system has been all that trustworthy. The new check-out system creates plenty of proof when you take out a book, but virtually none when you've returned the materials. Very glad to have an alternative! Besides, they hardly have any classics.
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #82
kevorkian
kevorkian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
When I found out that e-readers existed, I began to seriously consider buying one because I recognised how much easier they would make switching from one book to another - I do most of my reading out of the house, and at the time I was slogging my way through some door-stopper fantasy series. It was bulky and weighty to carry around two 900+ page novels on a day when I thought I might finish one. I haven't looked back since.
kevorkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #83
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Papercuts, really, really bad ones. I would get them on every other page, so it didn't make me want to pick up a book.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #84
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowell002 View Post
I have donated or recycled all my paper books. LIBERATING!
UGH, I should do that... I really should... But I am not yet ready to let go. I still have a bunch I haven't read yet! Perhaps recycling/donating the ones I have, and keeping the ones I will read again and again (the Harry Potters for example and LOTR/Hobbit), and maybe sell the ones which are now considered antique or collectibles (eg; a 1925 edition of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam) .. I have no kids to pass all this on to, nor any reliies and much as I love the Sallies, I dont think thats an appropriate place to offload some of my books.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #85
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
That's just for the books, right?
A 90% book space, 10% reading and sleeping space. What else does anybody need?
(Just make sure it's near the woods for when nature calls.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #86
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
UGH, I should do that... I really should... But I am not yet ready to let go.
Same here.
They make such nice decoration!
(Plus I have a deep TBR list of pbooks.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #87
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
A 90% book space, 10% reading and sleeping space. What else does anybody need?
(Just make sure it's near the woods for when nature calls.)
I meant a new, bigger house for the books and continue living in the original house.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #88
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I got a PDA.
Nice and compact and I could take it everywhere.
It let me read anywhere anytime.
This. Nothing else.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #89
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I said why I first got one (it was a gift, and I was actually suspicious about whether I'd use it or would like it) but I didn't say why I kept it and do use it. I can store tons of books with almost no space, and if I go someplace where I'll be reading, I can bring all those books with me so I have tons of choices available. And I bring the store with me too if I want to buy a book.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #90
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
For me it was Baen Webscriptions. I saw what they were doing, and realized that my savings on books would pay for a Rocket ereader in the first year.

Thousands of eBooks later I'm on my 4th device, and considering whether current advances warrant another upgrade.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote