Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #1306
Pooh_
Enthusiast
Pooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with others

Device: Onyx Boox I62HD, Onyx T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaly View Post
By the way, I thought that after installing OTFM I could manage the hidden partition from my PC, this can't be done by any means, right?
No, but you can access the hidden partition using OTFM. Just double tap the ".." element few times and you will be there.

Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to edit shutdown.png and I've read around here that you can do this editing the zip update. I wonder if it is safe to "re-update" the firmware again to the same version just to edit this stuff.
I'd still like to know the answer to this.
Sure, you can edit firmware (for example remove shutdown.png and place your own picture on its place) and then reflash it.

But, much simpler, you can replace this picture using OTFM. Just use long tap or menu and choose Copy/Paste.

\usr\share\gui_shell\images\shutdown.png is used when your device is turned OFF.
\usr\share\system_manager\images\screen_saver*.png - these images are used when your device is in a sleep mode.

All images should have a 758x1024 resolution (for I62HD or I62ML models)
Pooh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #1307
Mhaly
Mhaly began at the beginning.

Device: i62 HD Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh_ View Post
No, but you can access the hidden partition using OTFM. Just double tap the ".." element few times and you will be there.

Sure, you can edit firmware (for example remove shutdown.png and place your own picture on its place) and then reflash it.

But, much simpler, you can replace this picture using OTFM. Just use long tap or menu and choose Copy/Paste.

\usr\share\gui_shell\images\shutdown.png is used when your device is turned OFF.
\usr\share\system_manager\images\screen_saver*.png - these images are used when your device is in a sleep mode.

All images should have a 758x1024 resolution (for I62HD or I62ML models)
Ok, thanks for your help.

What about the warning? What's so dangerous about replacing the shutdown.png?
Mhaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #1308
Pooh_
Enthusiast
Pooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with othersPooh_ plays well with others

Device: Onyx Boox I62HD, Onyx T68
Quote:
What about the warning? What's so dangerous about replacing the shutdown.png?
I think this is the warning about replacing the Boot image (it used when you are waiting while Onyx is turning ON). I don't know where it is placed (probably on another hidden partition or it can be embeded into some system file), and so, this may be dangerous.

I don't see any danger in Copying/Pasting few images. Just do not do things which you not understand.

Last edited by Pooh_; 02-20-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Pooh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #1309
Mhaly
Mhaly began at the beginning.

Device: i62 HD Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh_ View Post
I think this is the warning about replacing the Boot image (it used when you are waiting while Onyx is turning ON). I don't know where it is placed (probably on another hidden partition or it can be embeded into some system file), and so, this may be dangerous.

I don't see any danger in Copying/Pasting few images. Just do not do things which you not understand.
Ahh I see, I dont know why but I thought that the boot image was the same as the shutdown image, but yeah you must be right.
Mhaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #1310
miguel.decastro
miguel.decastro began at the beginning.

Device: onyx m92
Hyperlinks in stardicts in M92 1.8.1 20121113

Hi!
I've installed a host of stardicts in my M92. They work fine, except that when an entry contains a hyperlink, clicking on it doesn't send you to the right entry. Sometimes it seems to send you to the next one, sometimes to a fixed one, sometimes nowhere.
Examples:
Using the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary, the entry for was contains a link to be. Clicking on be, sends you to bynot to be.
Using Britannica Concise Encyclopaedia, the entry for Byatt, A. S. contains a link to Iris Murdoch. Clicking on it causes no effect.
I've checked these dictionaries with Golden Dictionary in my laptop. Links work ok.
Any suggestions?
miguel.decastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #1311
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Miguel, it's probably a bug in the m92 software
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #1312
miguel.decastro
miguel.decastro began at the beginning.

Device: onyx m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Miguel, it's probably a bug in the m92 software
Thanks iampiti. Is there a place where you can (un)officially report bugs for the m92 soft to get a fix?
miguel.decastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #1313
voyageusejvzc
voyageusejvzc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, onyx boox m92
I have a question about the functions before buying the M92. I read somewhere that you can use instant dictionary by pointing to a word with stylus when reading pdf files. Is it possible though to use joystick instead of stylus to search dictionary (like in kindle keyboard)? Since there are new firmwares, I do not know if this function is integrated. I personally prefer not having to use the stylus when reading.

Also, would firmwares of M92 work on the M92S ?
voyageusejvzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #1314
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
You can't select word with joystick when reading a PDF file. The joystick is programmed for different functions : move the page, zooming, validate, but not select a word.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #1315
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel.decastro View Post
Thanks iampiti. Is there a place where you can (un)officially report bugs for the m92 soft to get a fix?
You are in the right place.
Maybe, there a place in the Wiki...
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #1316
voyageusejvzc
voyageusejvzc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, onyx boox m92
I suggest that this can be improved in the new firmware. (This is a drawback for me deciding to buy M92 or not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
You can't select word with joystick when reading a PDF file. The joystick is programmed for different functions : move the page, zooming, validate, but not select a word.
voyageusejvzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #1317
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Hi Booxtor

I guess an Android release is coming isn't it ?
I have been waiting for a while for a new release that would have an all in one file that would include the latest changes in the new PDF reader
Is such a release close or it will take a while since the developers are focusing on the Android firmware?

thanks
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #1318
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Hi Booxtor

I have been waiting for a while for a new release that would have an all in one file that would include the latest changes in the new PDF reader
Is such a release close or it will take a while since the developers are focusing on the Android firmware?

thanks
Android was canceled/postponed for the M92. Instead, the current firmware will be enhanced.
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #1319
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Hi Booxtor

thanks

Hi,

porting of Android has been currently postponed because of some hard to solve issues. Most of work is already done, but the most annoying bottleneck of current version is the power management - the developers can not stop rapid discharging of battery. Even in suspend mode the battery is empty within of 3-4 days. As long as this is not solved it won't be released.
We decided to finish improvement of the current software first and then go back to Android. Unfortunately as a rather small company Onyx lacks on engineers to work in parallel on many tasks.
The first big task is implementation of multitasking. It is already in work for some weeks. Hope be able to present it soon (together with some other fixed issues)

Last edited by Booxtor; 03-01-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #1320
edmond
Enthusiast
edmond began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox C65 AG
Booxtor,

I am glad to ear that multitasking will be in the next firmware: it is a major improvement.

Is it possible to know if a better management of bookmarks will be implemented?
I mean: possibility to backup and recover them, possibility to edit them...
Is there a tentative schedule for the release of the new firmware?

In the meanwhile, thank you for your work: I am using the onyx boox every day for work (and my wife just for reading) and it is a a fantastic tool.
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote