Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #271
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironflute View Post
So I reset it, connected it to my Mac...
That's very interesting, I use a Mac as well, I'm wondering if it's a problem with Calibre on the Mac, did you copy all of your books/PDF's through Calibre or Finder?
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #272
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
So I messed with my Glo a little more this morning. After a paper-clip reset, I hit 'Library', and the menu popped up. Then I clicked "Books". It froze.

So I reset it, connected it to my Mac, deleted everything off the internal memory, threw on some PDF's of floor plans, and waited for it to rescan the memory. After it updated, I was able to browse the PDFs and open them all without problem.
So I added 8 more items, a mixture of mobi and epub. Now I have 19 items on it. Seems to be fine.

So the trick is to load 10 books on at a time. And pray.
Which is bullshit, but I have already sold my Kindle, so I'm stuck.

*sigh* 4500 books, 10 books at a time with disconnections in between so the Glo can assess whats in memory. Terrific.
I think your problem might lie with the MOBIs. I don't believe they are supported anymore with the Glo, and support with the Touch was spotty. If I have a weird problem with recent sideloads, I check to see if I loaded a MOBI, DJVU, or some other unsupported file format on by mistake, and quite often, I have. Deleting the file and power-cycling usually takes care of it.

You can always convert your MOBI files to EPUBs, you know.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #273
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
I think your problem might lie with the MOBIs. I don't believe they are supported anymore with the Glo, and support with the Touch was spotty. If I have a weird problem with recent sideloads, I check to see if I loaded a MOBI, DJVU, or some other unsupported file format on by mistake, and quite often, I have. Deleting the file and power-cycling usually takes care of it.

You can always convert your MOBI files to EPUBs, you know.
OK, I visited http://www.kobo.com/koboglo/techspecs/ and found this:

Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI
Text: TXT, HTML, XHTML, and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

So MOBIs are officially supported, and they do work sometimes. But they've usually given me headaches on my Glo and my old Touch, anything from stopping the other books I sideloaded with them displaying covers, to crashes and hangs of the kind you're experiencing. My advice is to ditch the MOBIs and see what happens. If you're happy, convert them to EPUBs and re-sideload them.

Another word of warning: if the firmware is corrupt because the MOBIs have kept crashing your Glo, you may need to do a factory reset.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #274
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI
Text: TXT, HTML, XHTML, and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

So MOBIs are officially supported, and they do work sometimes. But they've usually given me headaches on my Glo and my old Touch...
By the way, ironflute, I do think this is disingenuous on Kobo's part, even borderline deceptive. I'm pretty sure they know their MOBI rendering engine is flaky at best. One of the reasons I bought my Touch oh so long ago was that I could apparently dump almost any file format onto it and just read it, according to the ads. So if you feel cheated, I feel your pain.

But converting MOBIs to EPUBs is extremely easy with calibre, and Kobo's support for EPUBs is of course very good.

I recommend opening your Kobo's disk on your PC, sorting your ebooks by filetype, and mercilessly deleting any "forbidden" files.

Don't throw away your nice new Glo yet!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #275
ironflute
ironflute began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
That's very interesting, I use a Mac as well, I'm wondering if it's a problem with Calibre on the Mac, did you copy all of your books/PDF's through Calibre or Finder?
I have a Windows machine at home, where I've done most of my troubleshooting. I brought it to work with me today and had the same issues with Mac. The problems are platform-agnostic, definitely.

Quote:
I think your problem might lie with the MOBIs. I don't believe they are supported anymore with the Glo
It's listed as a supported format on the box and on the Kobo product page, so I expect to be able to use them. I've got over 2000 mobi files in my library. I'd rather not have to bulk convert them all. That's not a solution, that's a workaround. But I will if I have to... *sigh*

Quote:
Another word of warning: if the firmware is corrupt because the MOBIs have kept crashing your Glo, you may need to do a factory reset.
I do a factory reset between each attempt to figure out what's going on. Yeah, I know its like a 30 minute process. I'm just that thorough. I know what I'm doing
Yeah I'm not about to get rid of it yet. When I get home in about 15 minutes, I'm going to try overloading it with epubs and see if I can get it to crash (no mobi's at all). That'll tell me if mobi are the problem.
If that's the case, I know what my CPUs are doing all day tomorrow... and for the next 36 hours probably

Last edited by ironflute; 01-29-2013 at 07:04 PM.
ironflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #276
ironflute

Ok I can't get it to crash now with just PDF's, ePub's, CBR/CBZ's, and some RTF's. It *definitely* is the Mobi files.
I've even tried loading it down with about 350 books on first the internal memory and then the MicroSD card. No problems.
Now I know.

Time to batch convert 2486 files. O_O
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #277
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I have a Windows machine at home, where I've done most of my troubleshooting. I brought it to work with me today and had the same issues with Mac. The problems are platform-agnostic, definitely.
That is what I expected but good to have it confirmed
Quote:
It's listed as a supported format on the box and on the Kobo product page, so I expect to be able to use them. I've got over 2000 mobi files in my library. I'd rather not have to bulk convert them all. That's not a solution, that's a workaround. But I will if I have to... *sigh*
My success with mobi files have been mixed. I haven't tried that many, but some work perfectly and some are dismal failures. I haven't had the problems you are seeing. I think part of the problem is what is inside the file. My guess is that the older formats work OK, but the newer ones don't.

I'd be curious to see a few that seem to be causing the problems. If that would be OK, send me a PM to work out the details.
Quote:
I do a factory reset between each attempt to figure out what's going on. Yeah, I know its like a 30 minute process. I'm just that thorough. I know what I'm doing
You could have just logged out of the device. That creates a fresh database without anything in it. But, you would need to removed the troublesome sideloaded books first or they will just get added again.
Quote:
Yeah I'm not about to get rid of it yet. When I get home in about 15 minutes, I'm going to try overloading it with epubs and see if I can get it to crash (no mobi's at all). That'll tell me if mobi are the problem.
If that's the case, I know what my CPUs are doing all day tomorrow... and for the next 36 hours probably
Quote:
Ok I can't get it to crash now with just PDF's, ePub's, CBR/CBZ's, and some RTF's. It *definitely* is the Mobi files.
I've even tried loading it down with about 350 books on first the internal memory and then the MicroSD card. No problems.
Now I know.
That good. I have an SD card with about 500 PDF and ePubs I use for testing. Apart from the time it takes to load them when the card is first put in, it works fine.
Quote:
Time to batch convert 2486 files. O_O
Personally, I wouldn't do the bulk conversion. I would do them in smaller batches as I wanted to read them. At the very least do a few singly to work out what options you want to use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #278
ironflute

I've got the bulk convert running. At the rate it's going, it'll finish some time tomorrow during the day, so it's no big deal. I'll just finish reading the hardcopy of the ebook I'm in the middle of.
Thanks for the help. I'll watch this thread and contribute when I can help (and of course follow up when I get the Kobo's MicroSD card loaded successfully).
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #279
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Now I know.
You're welcome.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #280
ironflute

Having a problem with wifi, now. I can't get it to join a wireless network. I don't get any errors, but it never connects. I've tried WEP, WPA, WPA2, and no encryption. It acts like its connecting, then goes back to the Extras menu (It's trying to join a network when I start the browser). There's no IP address listed, so I know its not associating (or showing up in connected devices in my router).
Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #281
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any issues with the router? Sure that the DHCP pool has free addresses?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #282
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Angry

Quote:
Damn, hoped that was the problem!

Had "fun" this morning, was just about to leave for work and remembered I had noy synched my Glo for a few days and wanted to upload a few new reading achievements.

Sync went fine, so I closed the top menu and the area of the screen that shows the book content went completely black. Hit home, went back into the book and the Glo told me my book was 99% read, which was interesting considering I was only on page 63 of 500-odd. Figured I had the chapter bug so went to the table of contents and re-selected the chapter I was on, and it showed one blank page, and still said the book was 99% read.

Tried again and this time I got the folded corner icon on the blank page, so hit home, opened another epub and had the same thing, 99% read, all chapters had 1 blank page. CBZ files worked fine though, and after a paperclip reset things started working again.

This is my 2nd Glo (first had a screen problem) and to be honest I am past caring about getting it replaced again until a new firmware comes out (officially in the UK) If it's a hardware problem, that's preferable to knowing that Kobo have left us for so long with such a bad piece of software.

I took some photo's on my phone, but can't upload them from work. Will do it tonight if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Tachikoma; 01-30-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #283
ironflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any issues with the router? Sure that the DHCP pool has free addresses?
Definitely not my router. No other device is having issues and the Glo won't connect to the wifi at work either.

I'm beginning to suspect this is something specific to the browser though since it'll connect when I tell it to sync.
Or at least, the sync thinks it completes. I'm not gonna make any guarantees about that, the way things go with this firmware...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #284
revoid
revoid began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Definitely not my router. No other device is having issues and the Glo won't connect to the wifi at work either.

I'm beginning to suspect this is something specific to the browser though since it'll connect when I tell it to sync.
Or at least, the sync thinks it completes. I'm not gonna make any guarantees about that, the way things go with this firmware...
I've encountered the same issue. The problem is with the browser I believe... I don't know the fix
revoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #285
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoid View Post
I've encountered the same issue. The problem is with the browser I believe... I don't know the fix
Try connecting through Settings, then launching the browser. Works for me.