Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
azzywazzy
azzywazzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Red face Hi and Overwhelmed!

Hi everyone

My name is Arianne from the UK! I don't own a device yet - in fact I'm finding the whole experience slightly overwhelming - weird as I normally consider myself quite tech-savvy. I'm thinking about getting a Bebook Neo, but I'll wait to see what the initial feedback is from people once they start shipping.

Anyway - can anyone advise me where to start? There's so much information here but there's almost too much. I'm a bit snowed under when it comes to looking at software to use, and hearing people talking about formatting and re-formatting books and scanning their own stuff.

I'd like to be able to:
  • Scan in some of my own books
  • Be able to read pdfs on my ereader (I knit a lot, and it would be brilliant to be able to tote knitting patterns around so I can read and knit at the same time )
  • Be able to annotate (I read a lot of German language books and it's handy to be able to make notes on unusual translations etc
  • Understand all the different ebook formats and what's good/bad about each one...

Where on earth do I start? At the moment I'm just feeling really which is annoying me as I want to get back into reading (haven't done much in years due to lack of space and time) but the hubster and I are trying to change our lifestyles to give us more time and money for the things we like to do and I figure reading more is a good place to start

Sorry for the ramble - any help would be massively appreciated.
azzywazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Hi Arianne and welcome to MR from a fellow Brit.

In terms of which one to get, have you seen this page on the Wiki? It will at least show you which can handle PDFs, which can allow you to annotate etc at a glance.

Following that, my suggestion would be to physically try out as many of your short list as you can. The preference for look and feel of these devices does seem to be a very personal thing, so nothing beats a hands-on look.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Arianne and welcome to MobileRead. You should also check out our Which One Should I Buy? section.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzywazzy View Post

I'd like to be able to:
  • Scan in some of my own books

I found a thread with some information..
    Have you EVER wanted to scan that old book?

• Be able to read pdfs on my ereader (I knit a lot, and it would be brilliant to be able to tote knitting patterns around so I can read and knit at the same time )
  • Be able to annotate (I read a lot of German language books and it's handy to be able to make notes on unusual translations etc

MR Wiki for both of the above in the
    E-book Reader Matrix

• Understand all the different ebook formats and what's good/bad about each one...

Also in the MR Wiki in E-book formats
For formatting you can explore using Calibre and Kovid, the creator, frequents the forums here. We even have a dedicated Calibre forum.

I think one of the first things to figure out is what you will be using it for the most.
Older books, Public Domain books, best sellers, library books....

It's all very much a personal decision when getting a device. No device is perfect, but there are those that come very close to doing what we need / use the most. I was lucky in my gift of a Sony 505. It fits me perfectly.

I hope this helps to get you started on your decision making process.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Arianne, welcome to MR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
...my suggestion would be to physically try out as many of your short list as you can. The preference for look and feel of these devices does seem to be a very personal thing, so nothing beats a hands-on look.
+1 for Bilbo's suggestion--if you can, try it before you buy it. And buy from a place with a liberal return policy so that you can return it without penalty if it doesn't doesn't end up being satisfactory.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The elephant in the room that we are all dancing around is PDF. Find a reader that is comfortable for you to read books on, and carry around a xeroxed page or two with your knitting pattern.

None of the ebook readers will be satisfying for reading patterns from a PDF. All it takes is one chart or picture, and the ebook readers go bananas.

On the other hand, you are going to love reading books electronically.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
azzywazzy
azzywazzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Hey everyone

Thank you so much for all of the help and advice. I really appreciate the pointers on the best place to start.

DixieGal - I had a feeling pdf would be the problem What can I say, I want the moon on a stick. I totally agree with what you've said and it might well be best to carry a print-out with me. It is the least important feature to me. I'd much rather be able to annotate so I can pick back up on languages again.

My plan so far is to wait for the Neo and the Pocketbook 302 to both come out and see what the hands-on reviews are like. I downloaded Calibre last night and have started to download lots of bits and pieces. Getting some good recommendations from the board here, discovering Smashwords and a few other places in the process. In the meantime might try downloading Stanza for my iPhone and reading from that.

Waiting to purchase my first e-reader is going to be a killer!
azzywazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hi Arianne, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome-12.gif
Views:	253
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	45201 (clicky)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
hello and welcome to MR!!! Make sure to check out the lounge whenever you get a chance.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #11
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello azzywazzy and welcome to MobileRead!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote