Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Stephen King on J.D. Salinger

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/01/28/...-j-d-salinger/

Quote:
Salinger’s death may answer one question that has intrigued readers, writers, and critics for nearly half a century — what literary trove of unpublished work may he have left behind? Much? Some? Or none? Salinger is gone, but if we’re lucky, he may have more to say, even so.
I understand the intrigue, but if Salinger didn't publish it during his life..maybe he wanted it kept unsaid. I guess his trust will decide.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/01/28/...-j-d-salinger/

I understand the intrigue, but if Salinger didn't publish it during his life..maybe he wanted it kept unsaid. I guess his trust will decide.
Agreed. He was a notoriously private person. If he didn't see fit to publish the works in his lifetime, I don't think it necessary to raid his life after his death just to make some cash.

And does anybody else find it a bit irksome that Stephen King is commenting on Salinger? I mean, it feels like Britney Spears talking about Chopin. Completely the wrong person to approach for an opinion on arguably one of the most influential writers of the last hundred years (not the most popular).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
It's not unknown for people to leave materials only to be published after their death, to be fair.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
It's not unknown for people to leave materials only to be published after their death, to be fair.
Not unknown, yes, but with what we know of Salinger, highly unlikely.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
J.D. Salinger: "Keep Your Hands Off My Legacy"

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...#ixzz0e8Bkljdb
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I think what King was trying to say is that he intends to bury Salinger in a pet sematary.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
There is a line between business and literature that people like King better not cross.
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Wow...such unreasonable venom directed towards Stephen King.

Stephen King is a regular columnist for EW and so it was appropriate for him to comment on the passing of a literary legend.

The comparison to Britney Spears is quite demeaning...given the dark tone of his work and his considerable commercial and literary recognition, perhaps calling him Trent Reznor would have been more appropriate. You may not like Trent, but he has talent.

My take on it is that Mr. King was trying to express that it was a shame to lose such a distinctive voice. He was acknowledging that it was a shame that someone who had made such a mark on culture with such a small body of work had not chosen to share more of his work with the world (since there are suggestions that he did quite possibly continue to write after he withdrew from publishing).

King was also tipping his hat towards other authors whom we lost far younger, with a smaller body of work but who seemed destined for a tremendous legacy had we not lost them so young.

Not that Stephen King needs to be defended. He is one of the best-selling authors of the 20th and 21st centuries.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Does best-selling = best quality?

Seems to me to be more of the VHS system of the literary world? :P Not the best choice available, but good enough for the masses I admit to wishing that he'd stopped writing much earlier in his career when his work was still original (IMHO). He's not as bad as John Grisham, though, who I feel wrote three great original novels, and a succession of disapointing rehashes of those first three.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Sorry, Stephen King is better than a Britney Spears. If you want to use the musical analogy, I'd say he is a Michael Jackson in the horror genre - very talented and very popular. He really did a lot for popularizing the horror genre and some of the films based upon his books have been classics. Carrie, the shining, the green mile etc.

In all likelihood Salinger's estate will attempt to cash in on any manuscripts, for better or worse. I'll be reading whatever works are published and evaluating them on their merit, not hype.

Last edited by fugazied; 01-31-2010 at 04:14 PM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
Wow...such unreasonable venom directed towards Stephen King.

Stephen King is a regular columnist for EW and so it was appropriate for him to comment on the passing of a literary legend.

The comparison to Britney Spears is quite demeaning...given the dark tone of his work and his considerable commercial and literary recognition, perhaps calling him Trent Reznor would have been more appropriate. You may not like Trent, but he has talent.

My take on it is that Mr. King was trying to express that it was a shame to lose such a distinctive voice. He was acknowledging that it was a shame that someone who had made such a mark on culture with such a small body of work had not chosen to share more of his work with the world (since there are suggestions that he did quite possibly continue to write after he withdrew from publishing).

King was also tipping his hat towards other authors whom we lost far younger, with a smaller body of work but who seemed destined for a tremendous legacy had we not lost them so young.

Not that Stephen King needs to be defended. He is one of the best-selling authors of the 20th and 21st centuries.
One analogy that should never be made is comparing talent like Trent Reznor to Stephen King. Reznor is amazing, he's a pioneer, a risk taker not only in his music but in the whole approach to music. King is nowhere near as good as Reznor and never will be. He's a popular author, sure, he's a best-seller, but so are Dan Brown and James Patterson. Can you imagine Dan Brown writing a piece on Salinger?! And my analogy was apt, because King is not in the same league as Salinger, and he never will be. Maybe if they'd approached Haruki Murakami or John Irving the piece would have made more sense.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #12
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
J.D. Salinger: "Keep Your Hands Off My Legacy"

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...#ixzz0e8Bkljdb
It's funny that they think it will go PD in 2080. There will never be a PD again, not in the US of A anyway.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #13
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
One analogy that should never be made is comparing talent like Trent Reznor to Stephen King. Reznor is amazing, he's a pioneer, a risk taker not only in his music but in the whole approach to music. King is nowhere near as good as Reznor and never will be. He's a popular author, sure, he's a best-seller, but so are Dan Brown and James Patterson. Can you imagine Dan Brown writing a piece on Salinger?! And my analogy was apt, because King is not in the same league as Salinger, and he never will be. Maybe if they'd approached Haruki Murakami or John Irving the piece would have made more sense.
Yeah... I have to agree on the reznor thing. I would say a better comparison for King is Rush (). It has its fans but the reality is that it's 99% formulaic, always waaaaay too long, and with only a rare entry that's worth hearing twice. And despite all those aspects, both King and Rush have their True Fans and always will...
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
It's funny that they think it will go PD in 2080. There will never be a PD again, not in the US of A anyway.
Sadly, I tend to agree. The public domain is gone, and not just in the USA.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I can easily imagine him writing a book to prove that J.D. Salinger is descended from Mary Magdalene and Jesus of Nazareth.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-01-2010 at 06:21 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote