Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
stoduk
stoduk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle Paperwhite V2
Image issues with Kobo Mini (converted kindle book to epub)

Hi Folks,

I have just bought a Kobo Mini (just £29 at the moment!) and wanted to get a travel guide to take on a trip with me. The cheapest option for the ebook is amazon, which means converting the kindle file to an epub - I am giving this a trial run with the sample of the book, and I'm having some problems.

The issue is with larger images (maps most often) where I can just see the top left corner of the image.

Is there some setting I should be using to avoid this problem?

Manually editing the CSS to reduce the image size seems to work - but obviously that isn't practical to do for a whole book

I (naively?) assumed that selecting a matching "output profile" in the "page setup" tab during conversion would force scaling of images like this - have I misunderstood? [I had to select Kobo Reader as the nearest option, though it has a slightly lower resolution than Kobo Mini so that should be fine]

TIA,
Anthony

Calibre version: 0.9.24 and 1.1 (I updated to check if it was fixed)
Device: Kobo Mini
Book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Madagascar-B...dagascar+bradt

The screen resolution of the mini appears to be 800x600, though some of the height seems to be lost to margins (not sure what resolution, appears to be 8mm at top and 9mm at bottom, of 101mm - so effective resolution of ~665x600).
stoduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
stoduk
stoduk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle Paperwhite V2
FWIW I've hacked this to "work" by changing the CSS file for all images - limiting the size to 700x600 (its a 800x600 screen, but has top + bottom margins, so 700 was about right), while maintaining aspect ratio.

However, this all seems like something Calibre should be doing - else why does it ask what device to output for?!? Anyone got any experience? Could it be some CSS (specifying a very tall/wide image) that the Kobo Mini is handling rather literally? Perhaps other devices would let you scroll to see the whole image, it doesn't seem possible on this..
stoduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The output profile resizes actual image files, it does not touch css. There is no way to automatically change size specifications in css.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, image size, kobo mini