Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #31
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I looked at Touchmouse in the app store. It does allow you to control you PC or Mac from the iPad. You need to install a software on the computer. Sounds interesting if you have connected the computer to the TV.
Yes. I browse wikipedia articles on my laptop with Opera tablet version as I keep my laptop on corner of the table and wires extending all over the tabletop are frustrating.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #32
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
I keep my Calibre library in Dropbox and like the fact that I can access all the books in my library at any time. I find that I can navigate through the 1300 author folders very easily because there is an index tab (ie letters a-z on right of screen can be highlighted).
I would like to use my Sugarsync account for my library as it offers a great deal more free storage. However, it doesn't have an index tab which means scrolling through screen after screen to reach an author folder.
Does anybody have a solution?
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #33
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Skype has it's new application for iPad. Very neat interface.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #34
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I bought an app called Due this week-end. I may be the last person to discover it, as I found it in the "popular apps" section of the app store I think. It does seem very useful, and as some of the comments say it does two things that iOS should do out of the box: reminders and timer. On my Mac I use Calendar to remind myself of repeating tasks such as changing my contact lenses, but on the iPad it's close to useless since all it does is display the reminder once on the locked screen, and that's all. Maybe with the new OS it will work better. Anyway, with Due you can very easily create reminders. And it also came in handy today as a timer, since for some mysterious reason Apple seems to have removed the Clock app from the iPad. I've already had to buy a World clock app to find out what time it is in Florida before calling my sister.

As I said, I only bought it this week-end, but so far I'm liking this Due app. Easy to use and very useful.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #35
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Simplenote - plain text work notes synched across iOS devices and desktop, no Dropbox required.
Dropbox - for everything else that Simplenote doesn't cover...
Kindle app for books - nice and easy. Stanza for some older 'legacy' books.
InformantHD for calendars - great sync with Google calendars and shared with the rest of the family.
Taptu, in preference to FlipBoard - I just prefer how it works.
BBC News app,*BBC iPlayer app.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #36
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is not really an app - in fact it's a book disguised as an app - but it's really, really worth the money. It's called Tips & Tricks - iPad secrets, and it has more useful information than the $15 book I bought from Amazon. The only annoying thing is the page turning animation (with matching sound, if you please), but it's only a minor annoyance. This book has taught me several invaluable tricks, such as tapping the top bar to go back to the top of a page. Very useful on the forum!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #37
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
TEDTalks is a nice app for those who want a little brain food. Streaming video of short talks by interesting people from all over the world. Check out the renowned website for a taste.

http://www.ted.com/
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #38
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
TEDTalks is a nice app for those who want a little brain food. Streaming video of short talks by interesting people from all over the world. Check out the renowned website for a taste.

http://www.ted.com/
Yes, lots of interesting stuff there. And on iTunes U also. At the moment I am watching a series of short videos on science by prof. Russel Stannard. Some time ago I followed a course on critical reasoning from Oxford university. Both very interesting.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I mostly use my iPod touch as a streaming audio device, so internet radio apps would be my favs: AOL Radio - TuneIn Radio - HiDef Radio - Radio.com - iHeartRadio - etc. I also like listening to audiobooks, so I use either Audible or the built-in Music app.

I hate iTunes, so it's only used for apps and audiobooks; and they must be free or I pass them by.

I don't carry my touch on a day-to-day basis because it's too big, but I would take it with me on vacation (stuffed in a small camera bag). Travel apps and net access would be great tools to have while away from home.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #40
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Havent tried it yet, but echoecho sounds interesting. If you are trying to meet up with someone it tells/shows you where they are.

Other apps do this but they broadcast your location. Echoecho let's you ping someone from your contact list and it will temporarily turn on gps to find a location and send it, then turn it off. Helps manage battery.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #41
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I mostly use my iPod touch as a streaming audio device, so internet radio apps would be my favs: AOL Radio - TuneIn Radio - HiDef Radio - Radio.com - iHeartRadio - etc. I also like listening to audiobooks, so I use either Audible or the built-in Music app.

I hate iTunes, so it's only used for apps and audiobooks; and they must be free or I pass them by.

I don't carry my touch on a day-to-day basis because it's too big, but I would take it with me on vacation (stuffed in a small camera bag). Travel apps and net access would be great tools to have while away from home.
For travelling I can recommend Trip Adviser for planning trips, Yelp! for recommendations of just about any kind of restuarant and places to see, and Urbanspoon strictly for restaurants. I found Yelp! especially useful when I vacationed in Puerto Rico.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
For travelling I can recommend Trip Adviser for planning trips, Yelp! for recommendations of just about any kind of restuarant and places to see, and Urbanspoon strictly for restaurants. I found Yelp! especially useful when I vacationed in Puerto Rico.
Thanks for the recommendations. I already have TripAdvisor and Yelp. Urbanspoon looks interesting, so I downloaded it. I'll try it out sometime.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #43
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Hmmm... I just downloaded Yelp to give it a try... It couldn't recognize my location so I had to point it to it on the map, but it doesn't know about the 2 restaurants within 500 m of where I live. I searched for Istanbul, where I'm going next week, and it didn't recognize the name. Then I made a search for restaurants in Paris and found 20. I guess the app must be useful to someone, but that's certainly not me.

Update: for Paris, Urban Spoon gives me a choice of three cities in the U.S. Double hmmm...

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 09-08-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Hmmm... I just downloaded Yelp to give it a try... It couldn't recognize my location so I had to point it to it on the map, but it doesn't know about the 2 restaurants within 500 m of where I live. I searched for Istanbul, where I'm going next week, and it didn't recognize the name. Then I made a search for restaurants in Paris and found 20. I guess the app must be useful to someone, but that's certainly not me.

Update: for Paris, Urban Spoon gives me a choice of three cities in the U.S. Double hmmm...
Works great over here in the US. Maybe they want you to live here.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #45
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Works great over here in the US. Maybe they want you to live here.
Yes, that's probably it

By the way, it seems my iPad is suddenly lost and doesn't know where I am!!! Strange, I don't remember this happening before, though to be honest I don't use the location services very often. I guess it's feeling cross because I forgot it at work yesterday and wants to punish me.