Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #16
knewbie
knewbie began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N95 / Now PRS-505SC
Just a Thank you ...

I have been using JE-Comics for some time and the lack of batch was just too daunting. hours at a time...

I also never got comiclrf to do its job on zip and rars and subdirectories at the same time, and the cbr2pdf script was killing a 4*2.4GHz PCfor some reason...(incessant IO ? all 10 manga volumes decompressing to memory at the same time and swap actually being full ? ..urghh )

After a few successfull tests I just launched your script on 389 mangas for the coming long holidays and now I can go to sleep (almost) certain everything will be done when I wake up...

Thank you 8)

(Sony PRS-505, Ubuntu Hardy Heron amd64, Q6600 4*2.4 GHz + 4 Go Ram)
knewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #17
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
You're welcome. I hope the script worked without flaw with all your mangas.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
knewbie
knewbie began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N95 / Now PRS-505SC
It worked almost flawlessy. I had a few rars containing other rars that I discovered in the morning, and some sub-subdirectories in the rars, but I am now done fixing it.

3.5 Gb mangas, the Hugo prize winner books of the last 30 years + many others... I won't hope it rains and I have to stay inside, but I see the prospect bothering me less and less 8)

Also I won't be installing the new firmware before AFTER the holidays. With my luck I'd brick it 8p
knewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Great script! I've got it churning through some archives now. How about an option to rotate double-wide pages, rather than halving them?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #20
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would also be helpful to include some command-line tests for dependencies. I had to restart twice as the script exited since I didn't have ImageMagick installed, then libtiff. Having to restart after installing libtiff was especially annoying because the script decided it had to re-optimize all the images again. Even if the tests aren't included in the script itself, it might be a good idea to post them here. Different distros of Linux come with different packages, so it can be easy to forget whether one has them on a specific machine.
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #21
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Sure, no problem. I'll see to these changes as soon as I have the time, which will be starting next week.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Also, more graceful error handling would be appreciated. I left it running overnight on a batch of directories, and it got stuck on one (after optimizing the images, it couldn't open one of them when it was time to create the PDF) so it quit altogether. It would have been nice if it could just have spit out an error message (or saved it for the end of the run, or dumped it to an error log), and continued with processing the other directories.

Not complaining-- it's still a very useful script. Just offering constructive suggestions.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #23
IceHand
Linux User

I'll see to that too. You can change this already by removing "set -e" from the script (it's right at the beginning). Actually I didn't want to remove this yet, because this way the script is safer. I don't know what could go wrong with the script, but if something goes wrong, the script will safely exit. Especially in some stages of development I was very glad I had this option activated.

But as soon as the dependencies will be checked, I will make this option optional

And thanks for all the suggestions, I don't take them as complaints.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #24
stevy
stevy began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3 512Mo
Hi,
could you put in the description this element :
for ubuntu, install libtiff with : sudo aptitude install lidtiff-tools

For the next users
Thanks for this great script
stevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I did comment out set -e in the script and most of my zips were processed correctly. (The others were skipped.) Thanks!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #26
IceHand
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I did comment out set -e in the script and most of my zips were processed correctly. (The others were skipped.) Thanks!
What errors did you encounter by the way? Did you have some corrupted archives or something like that?

And I'll probably release a new version this weekend.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I don't know what caused the errors. The images all got processed-- it quit on building the PDF. I haven't had time to go in and process the errant archives by hand to see what's different about them.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #28
IceHand
Linux User

I just released a new version, which includes better error handling and a check to see if all necessary programs are installed.

I haven't added the rotate double pages option yet. Would you want the images to rotate left or right?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #29
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I'd prefer counter-clockwise, myself.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #30
stevy
stevy began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3 512Mo
hello,
since the update of the cybook
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28805

i forgot to mention that it seems to me that the visual quality of the comics that i have converted with your script, icehand, are reduced.
Any idea ?
stevy is offline   Reply With Quote