Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kindle Books Germany is now live

It would be interesting to hear what the books selection looks like and how the prices compare to other book stores.

http://www.amazon.de/kindle-shop-ebo...&tag=ebkblg-21

Last edited by ProfCrash; 04-21-2011 at 08:21 AM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I hope they start having French books soon.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
belum2aj
belum2aj began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
pls, let there be a goog german<->german dictionary!!
belum2aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Henry Flower
Henry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
The prices on the front page are horrific! Amazon won't let me see the prices for other books because of the country I'm in - are they any more reasonable?
Henry Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
It would be interesting to hear what the books selection looks like and how the prices compare to other book stores.

http://www.amazon.de/kindle-shop-ebo...&tag=ebkblg-21
I spot checked a few of the English titles against Kobo (since Kobo will only now quote me prices in euro) and some are cheaper (one by 3 euro cents) and some are more expensive than Kobo. Like their selection of p-books in English, it's a bit limited, but perhaps that will change over time.

And, DMB, they do have French titles (3782, to be precise) but the selection isn't all that interesting just yet.

I wonder if Amazon.fr will start selling e-books now?
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
I spot checked a few of the English titles against Kobo (since Kobo will only now quote me prices in euro) and some are cheaper (one by 3 euro cents) and some are more expensive than Kobo. Like their selection of p-books in English, it's a bit limited, but perhaps that will change over time.

And, DMB, they do have French titles (3782, to be precise) but the selection isn't all that interesting just yet.

I wonder if Amazon.fr will start selling e-books now?
That's what I meant. They advertise Kindles on amazon.fr, but very halfheartedly, and push them as platforms for books in English. I want to be able to buy French ebooks for Kindle without having to convert from ePub.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am assuming that a role out in Germany probably means that there will be a role out in other countries sometime in the near future but who knows.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by belum2aj View Post
pls, let there be a goog german<->german dictionary!!
I just checked the dictionaries available for the Kindle on amazon.com...God, why is the selection so poor ? I was tempted to switch from Sony to Kindle due to the ability of the latter to add dictionary, only to discover there is no French dictionary, no German dictionary, no French to German etc. Almost everything is from or to English translation dictionary, plus OED, etc. Basically what I already have with my Sony eReader. It seems to me dictionary lookup is one of the most obvious advantage of eReading, but I guess publishers don't get it, or the market is too small.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I just checked the dictionaries available for the Kindle on amazon.com...God, why is the selection so poor ? I was tempted to switch from Sony to Kindle due to the ability of the latter to add dictionary, only to discover there is no French dictionary, no German dictionary, no French to German etc. Almost everything is from or to English translation dictionary, plus OED, etc. Basically what I already have with my Sony eReader. It seems to me dictionary lookup is one of the most obvious advantage of eReading, but I guess publishers don't get it, or the market is too small.
Amazon includes an American dictionary on Amazon.com, a British Dictionary on Amazon.co.uk and now the "Duden Universalwörterbuch" on Amazon.de
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #10
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Amazon includes an American dictionary on Amazon.com, a British Dictionary on Amazon.co.uk and now the "Duden Universalwörterbuch" on Amazon.de
You mean that these are the default dictionaries on the Kindle itself depending on where you buy it, or that they are sold on the different stores ?
On amazon.de, I tried searching for "Duden Universalwörterbuch", and no result in the eBook section came out : "Ihre Suche nach "Duden Universalwörterbuch" ergab in der Kategorie Kindle-Shop keine Treffer."
And I still would want German to French for example, and I wonder why publishers don't put more eBook dictionaries out.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm guessing because I've not seen the German site yet, but I have seen the publisher contract for Kindle Germany where there's the option for a lower sales commission: So I think titles will carry the same $2 loading as in the UK, but not the $4 loading imposed on sales outside the favoured territories of USA, Canada, UK, Eire and now Germany. Outside these territories, Amazon/Kindle also claims a penal 70% sales commission on recommended retail cover price, by the way. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
sorin
Connoisseur
sorin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I saw that amazon.de have kindle 3 for sale, i'm asking if the people which are in in a country from europe but not in germany can buy the ebook reader, i believe is much cheaper than amazon.com because they don't have to pay taxes.
sorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:30 AM   #13
Papi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin View Post
I saw that amazon.de have kindle 3 for sale, i'm asking if the people which are in in a country from europe but not in germany can buy the ebook reader, i believe is much cheaper than amazon.com because they don't have to pay taxes.
I tried on amazon.de with my address (in France), and it said it wouldn't deliver to my address. It's not cheaper anyway, since us dollar is very low compared to euro right now, so for a Kindle 3G + cover with light, it would be :
- on amazon.de 190 + 60 = 250 €
- on amazon.com :
Items (2): EUR 177,45
Shipping & Handling: EUR 19,22
Total Before Tax: EUR 237,20
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: EUR 0,00
Import Fees Deposit EUR 40,53
Order Total: EUR 237,20
Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast
nitrocuadam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello people. I have a question.
I am living in Germany. If I buy my kindle from amazon.de will I be able to switch to english to english dictionary instead of German dictionary?
You got any idea?
Thanks
nitrocuadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
Henry Flower
Henry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocuadam View Post
Hello people. I have a question.
I am living in Germany. If I buy my kindle from amazon.de will I be able to switch to english to english dictionary instead of German dictionary?
You got any idea?
Thanks
I would expect so, though I can't promise that Amazon won't get funny ideas into their heads. On my UK Kindle, I can buy any dictionary I like from the Kindle store, and I have the option of setting it as my default dictionary.
Henry Flower is offline   Reply With Quote