Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
coke_o
coke_o began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Here is the pic of how the text looks on my nook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	64397  
coke_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

It would be better to look at the ePub before it is converted by calibre as calibre adds its own strange looking CSS styles. But from what you showed the only thing that I see is the white-space: pre statement. Try changing it to white-space: normal. Also, unless you like monospace text I would delete the font-family: monospace; statement.

Here's a link to a website that discusses the white-space CSS propeties: http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_text_white-space.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke_o View Post
Ok so here's what I got. The .css file has the following:

@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; .calibre {

display: block;

font-size: 1em;

margin-bottom: 0;

margin-left: 5pt;

margin-right: 5pt;

margin-top: 0;

padding-left: 0;

padding-right: 0;

page-break-before: always

} .calibre1 {

display: block

} .calibre2 {

display: block;

font-family: monospace;

margin-bottom: 1em;

margin-left: 0;

margin-right: 0;

margin-top: 1em;

white-space: pre

}

Can any of this be causing the text not to wrap? If so, what can I edit? As soon as I figure out how, I will post a pic of how the book looks.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-09-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #18
coke_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It would be better to look at the ePub before it is converted by calibre as calibre adds its own strange looking CSS styles. But from what you showed the only thing that I see is the white-space: pre statement. Try changing it to white-space: normal. Also, unless you like monospace text I would delete the font-family: monospace; statement.

Here's a link to a website that discusses the white-space CSS propeties: http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_text_white-space.asp
Alright, so I tried removing the "font-family: monospace;" line and changing "white-space: pre" to "white-space: normal" and when I go to close the file, I get a window that says "Sigil currently cannot save files of type "css". Please choose a different format."

If I ignore this and go back to the "Tweak ePub" window on Calibre and click on "Rebuild ePub" nothing changes. Well, the text doesn't look monoblock, but it still doesn't wrap. If I choose "Tweak ePub" again, the "font-family" goes back to monospace and the "white-space" goes back to pre.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Window 1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	64451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Window 2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	64452  

Last edited by coke_o; 01-09-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added screen shot of the windows.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Don't use Sigil if it causes a problem. You can use Notepad in Windows or the equivalent simple editor in Mac.

I think Sigil is more of a project modifier rather than a simple editor, so it probably is not good to use in this particular case. Although standalone Sigil would be good.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #20
coke_o

Quote:
Don't use Sigil if it causes a problem. You can use Notepad in Windows or the equivalent simple editor in Mac.

I think Sigil is more of a project modifier rather than a simple editor, so it probably is not good to use in this particular case. Although standalone Sigil would be good.
Ok, so I made the changes on notepad and saved them. However, now the file looks like it lost it's paragraph structure. It's like there aren't any paragraphs, just continuous text. Any ideas on how to remedy this?
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Ok, so I made the changes on notepad and saved them. However, now the file looks like it lost it's paragraph structure. It's like there aren't any paragraphs, just continuous text. Any ideas on how to remedy this?
Are all the words now on the page or is it still running words off the right side of the page? If possible post another screenshot.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #22
coke_o

Quote:
Are all the words now on the page or is it still running words off the right side of the page? If possible post another screenshot.
All of the words are on the page now but the paragraphs are no longer separated. Its as if all of the text was one long paragraph. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	64736  
Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
All of the words are on the page now but the paragraphs are no longer separated. Its as if all of the text was one long paragraph. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Sorry, but it looks like that book is so terribly formatted you would have to spend days making it look presentable. The publisher apparently hard-coded line breaks, hence the words going off the right side of the page. If the publisher cannot use simple HTML then they really shouldn't publish. i would try to get a refund if I was you.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #24
coke_o

Quote:
Sorry, but it looks like that book is so terribly formatted you would have to spend days making it look presentable. The publisher apparently hard-coded line breaks, hence the words going off the right side of the page. If the publisher cannot use simple HTML then they really shouldn't publish. i would try to get a refund if I was you.
Ok, thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
hwp314
hwp314 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
EPUB too wide?

If you are converting from word and your pages are too wide, make your margins narrower. It is the quickest and easiest fix!!!
hwp314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #26
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
IMHO it looks like a format issue to me. This is what I would try if it was me.

Convert the epub, to a txt file using calibre. Once converted I use Edit Pad Lite to open it, its free.

http://www.editpadlite.com/

Go to the top of program, Click on extra, select remove blank spaces. Close and save. Then convert the repaired txt file back to epub.

Had a epub that look just like that. Thats how I fixed mine. Hope that helps.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote