Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
WWII Novels: Wouk or Shaara?

Opinions, please. I'm trying to decide which set of World War II novels to read first--Herman Wouk's Winds of War and War and Remembrance; or Jeff Shaara's Rising Tide, Steel Wave, and No Less Than Victory.

I've read some Wouk (Marjorie Morningstar is an all-time favorite), but I've never read anything by Shaara. I've been reading some WWII history recently, and I want to switch to fiction for a bit.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Jeff Shaara has continued to write a number of sequels that his father, Michael Shaara, started.

One of his father's Civil War novels, "The Killer Angels," won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

If you haven't read that one, then I would read that first.

(If you're already familiar with all this, then please ignore.)

Here's some more information about Jeff and Michael Shaara:

http://www.jeffshaara.com/michael_shaara.asp

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Read Wouk's The Caine Mutiny, one of the great WWII novels, instead. The Winds of War is just soap opera in comparison.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Read Wouk's The Caine Mutiny, one of the great WWII novels, instead. The Winds of War is just soap opera in comparison.

The Winds of War is quite readable - but pales in comparison with the powerful writing in The Caine Mutiny.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

I want to stick with WWII for now, though the Civil War novels are a temptation.

I've read Caine Mutiny, and agree that it's a great book.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
What about James Jones' From Here To Eternity and The Thin Red Line?
Or Battle Cry by Leon Uris.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Or Norman Mailer's great WWII novel, "The Naked and the Dead."

(On my previous post, I didn't read carefully enough what you wanted, and mentioned the Civil War.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I'm looking at the Wouk and Shaara sets because I want a fictional overview of WWII; I've previously read a lot of fiction based on specific settings or events of WWII (e.g., Jones and Uris), and will save additional such recommendations for later.

Dr. Drib, Norman Mailer makes my head hurt.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Based on your last post (a fictional overview of WW II), then I suspect that Jeff Shaara is your better bet. I don't know that I would call him a great writer, but he does a craftsman like job on most of his books and they are fairly readable.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm looking at the Wouk and Shaara sets because I want a fictional overview of WWII; I've previously read a lot of fiction based on specific settings or events of WWII (e.g., Jones and Uris), and will save additional such recommendations for later.

Dr. Drib, Norman Mailer makes my head hurt.
I believe that the Wouk novels would give the better overview.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Do you prefer the American perspective, or are you keen on others, as well?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Do you prefer the American perspective, or are you keen on others, as well?
What do you have in mind?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What do you have in mind?
I really enjoyed Evelyn Waugh's "Sword of Honour" trilogy, but that's from a Catholic Englishman's perspective. It's not so much a review of the facts of the war, but more of a general feeling from living among certain events. "Fires on the Plain" by Ooka Shohei was a novel about the disintegration of the Japanese Army in the Philippines while being pushed back by the Americans. It touches on the Samurai unwillingness to surrender, and is affecting, but rather grim.

Edit: Whoops, neither seem to be available as ebooks from Amazon. I had read them a long time ago, and assumed they would show up. :P

Last edited by rkomar; 07-06-2013 at 07:40 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I really enjoyed Evelyn Waugh's "Sword of Honour" trilogy, but that's from a Catholic Englishman's perspective. It's not so much a review of the facts of the war, but more of a general feeling from living among certain events. "Fires on the Plain" by Ooka Shohei was a novel about the disintegration of the Japanese Army in the Philippines while being pushed back by the Americans. It touches on the Samurai unwillingness to surrender, and is affecting, but rather grim.

Edit: Whoops, neither seem to be available as ebooks from Amazon. I had read them a long time ago, and assumed they would show up. :P
Thanks, I'll keep them in mind for the future, especially the Evelyn Waugh one, as generally I'm more interested in the European theater than the Pacific theater.

Paper books or e-books; it doesn't matter.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
This is more post WWII, but I really enjoyed Leon Uris' Armagedon.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote