Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Your Collection

I was over in another thread and thought this would be a fun idea.

Everyone has a collection of physical media somewhere in their house or in a storage shed. Something they can go back and look at or forward to at any time.

So what's your prized possession? Would you ever sell it? Or would you ever get rid of the "collection" you currently have in favor of more tech-savvy toys.

Would you shred your library and just digitize it all?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I'll start.

My prized possession is a 1934 hardback copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula. The binding is starting to fall apart and the pages are yellow and brittle with age.

I found it when cleaning out my grandmother's closet after her passing several years ago. I think it's a beautiful piece of nostalgia. I've never even so much as opened it for fear of damaging its frail body.

My second choice would be the original DragonLance Chronicles trilogy. They were reissued for the first time in hardcover several years ago. For the holidays I got a signed set of first editions.

I don't think I could ever part with my book collection, or my DVD collection. They've already traveled through two states and three moves.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have a signed first edition of 'My Experience of War' by General John Pershing.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I don't think I could ever part with my book collection, or my DVD collection. They've already traveled through two states and three moves.
With me, it's my extensive "Doctor Who" collection. It's just always been a part of my life, and I can't imagine being without it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Having grown up with parents who are both collect-a-holics and who live in a house which looks more like a museum than somewhere to live, stuffed to the brim with antiques (junk to me) which you are not allowed to touch, being forced to spend tedious weekends when I was young trawling around antique fairs, shops and the like ... it has rather put me off seriously collecting anything.

I do love my gadgets but I don't actually collect them as I keep on selling old gadgets to pay for new ones. So 'collections' of anything don't mean much to me.

Unfortunately hubby is also a bit of a collect-a-holic and doesn't seem to throw much if anything away. He collects shoes, coats, aftershave (which he had to build a whole custom shelf for in his double wardrobe) and books which is why I now love ereading devices!

Seems like most people just love to collect things.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I now own only one physical artefact of culture. A 1970's paperback detective Novel my (recently deceased) grandfather gave me. Everything else is now either in storage, donated to charity, given away or destroyed. The digital life is the way to go.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I've got a lot of comic books from the 90's that I'm holding on to so that when everyone else is lamenting about hteir mother throwing away their (insert priceless artefact), i will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Not much of a retirement plan, but what can I say...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
For me, this falls into three stages.

Stage 1. Don't accumulate any more physical stuff. Doing this is coming along.

Stage 2. Dematerialize what I have. In progress.

Stage 3. Get rid of the leftover physical items. This is harder. Since I have a place for most of it already, I don't feel a pressure to get rid of things properly shelved. Then, in addition, there's the write-off costs. I have several hundred fine edition books. I might get a quarter of the costs back, more likely an eighth. I'd rather keep the splendour....

Now a have a few signed editions that I would like to keep anyway (signed E.E.Smith Lensman books, for example), but those number less than 50.

I guess it boils down to - if I move I'll sell, but not until then.

(add on - Once I dematerialize an item and have it properly backed up, my attachment to the existing physical item drops dramatically. To quote A.C.Clarke in 2001. "As one Dave Bowman was destroyed, another Dave Bowman became immortal.")

Last edited by Greg Anos; 12-19-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I was at the John Hopkins University’s annual JohnCon Anime convention three years ago. A vender was selling his old extra hardbound books. I picked up a first edition Dune by Frank Herbert for $3.00, that and my Dune Encyclopedia are not going anywhere.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
So what's your prized possession? Would you ever sell it?
With me, it is my ever growing collection of Yank the Army Weekly magazines from WII. No, I would never sell them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vol1no1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	41582  
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I just took the last of my pbook collection of over 1000 titles to the used bookstore. I have kept some "antique" hb books that I either inherited from my grandmother, or purchased for myself. Now, I only collect art supplies and clothes.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
My middle name ("Wood") comes from my maternal grandfather. I recently found a group of books I had as a child with bookplates lettered by him. This is the only surviving examples I have of his lettering. I have scanned the plates and now use it for other items.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote