Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
Which reader best for PDF

I read fiction + non fiction (legal free ones from site that distributes it freely) books that are all on ebook. I don't mind converting to another format as long as it ain't a hassle.
I need a ebook reader that will do this for me.
Basically, top e-ink technology that won't hurt your eyes.
I like the Sony but don't like the restrictions on it..
I don't need mp3/wifi etc that will inflate the prices of an ebook reader...need a cheap no frill one..would sony be my best buy?
What i do not like is on the review how when you flick through pages the screen blanks out for 1/2 a second/...that is soo annoying
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best reader for reading the average non-DRM PDF is the iRex iLiad due to higher resolution, larger screen size, and better software available for reading PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post
I read fiction + non fiction (legal free ones from site that distributes it freely) books that are all on ebook. I don't mind converting to another format as long as it ain't a hassle.
I need a ebook reader that will do this for me.
Basically, top e-ink technology that won't hurt your eyes.
I like the Sony but don't like the restrictions on it..
I don't need mp3/wifi etc that will inflate the prices of an ebook reader...need a cheap no frill one..would sony be my best buy?
As Jon says, the iLiad is really the only sensible choice if A4/Letter PDFs are important to you. They just cannot be displayed well on a device with a 6" screen such as the Sony, Gen3, etc.

Quote:
What i do not like is on the review how when you flick through pages the screen blanks out for 1/2 a second/...that is soo annoying
Have you actually SEEN an eInk reader yourself, "in the flesh"? You'd be the only person I've ever met who finds it "annoying" having actually seen it! You'd be amazed at how many people jump to ill-informed conclusions based on what they read in "reviews", very few of which are written by people who've USED the device for any length of time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I agree with HarryT, the black screen when you turn the page isn't annoying at all... you get used to it VERY quickly.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I saw a demo on uTube of the Cybook and that was the criticism that reviewer had. Such a small thing to pick out for such a great device. I hardly even notice the screen change. It's amazing how some reviewers single that out as a big deal.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
mikecook
Enthusiast
mikecook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Sony Reader, Kindle, and others.
Quote:
It's just the same as what happens with a p-book. Personally, I don't look at the [paper] page when I'm turning it, therefore it also blanks out ;-)
mikecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

David, if you find the back for 1/2 sec to be annoying, then you won't like ANY eink device. Sorry, but you'll have to look for something else. They all do it and always will.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
David, if you find the back for 1/2 sec to be annoying, then you won't like ANY eink device. Sorry, but you'll have to look for something else. They all do it and always will.
I'm not sure about other readers, but with CyB you can choose either blink or gradual transition. I tried both and remained with blink

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
davidw89
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best reader for reading the average non-DRM PDF is the iRex iLiad due to higher resolution, larger screen size, and better software available for reading PDF.
Great device but it retails for $1000 AUD here :/..and it has some stuff i don't need like wifi..any chance of a more affordable product, something like $300-$400AUD?

Wait so if i get the Sony one it wont read PDF properly even if i convert it?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It'll read PDF as well as any other 6" eInk display will, which is only "properly" if you've re-authored it to a suitable page size, otherwise it'll be trying to display an A4/Letter page in a ~A6 area.

If you can get convert them to HTML or RTF, then they can easily be converted to a reflowing format which works well, but if only PDF, no, not well.

(Note the cost of the screen has a major impact on the cost of device.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You can try pdflrf to convert the PDF to something easier to read But if that will be good enough or not, I cannot say. But it does make the PDF better. But better enough is up to you.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Wait so if i get the Sony one it wont read PDF properly even if i convert it?
Convert to what? Sony's LRF format?

If you can do a decent conversion, that's an option, but many PDFs convert poorly if at all.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
davidw89
Connoisseur

No convert it to pdflrf
Old 10-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
ranma172
ranma172 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Hello,

I'm also interested in an e-ink reader for PDF's.

I know there are readers that let you read PDF's in landscape mode but, are they good enough?

Which one would you recommend?

I don't mind scrolling down. The most important thing is that I can read PDF's without any problem (directly or through conversion).

I'd buy the Iliad but I think it's too heavy (and expensive). There are (cheaper) readers around 7 ounces (=200 grams) or less.

(Note: I know PDF's were designed for printing, but they are too popular; I have lots of documents in that format.)

Thank you very much,
ranMa

Last edited by ranma172; 10-15-2008 at 10:47 AM.
ranma172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I’m sorry, but you say you have a Cybook - is this true or are you just thinking in getting one?

If you have it, haven’t you tested it with Pdf already?
If not and if you want an example with the Cybook check this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30562
It gives an idea of what to expect.

To recommend: would recommend the Iliad, and if not the Cybook but with the Pdf reflow text of the Sony as an option (besides it’s own zoom), so one could choose what way he/she would like to use… of course this second option does not exist today…

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote