Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
booksnsocks
booksnsocks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Angry Frustrated!- Sending books to Kindle, Think it's a Calibre issue

oh lordy, ok, let me see if I can get help here. To try to get covers to show up on my kindle fire, I did what the manual recommended:
"You can work around it by going to Preferences->Output Options->MOBI output and setting the “Enable sharing of book content” option. If you are reconverting a previously converted book, you will also have to enable the option in the conversion dialog for that individual book (as per book conversion settings are saved and take precedence).

Note that doing this will mean that the generated MOBI will show up under personal documents instead of Books on the Kindle Fire and Amazon whispersync will not work, but the covers will."

And then it started sending everything as a document, which I decided I didn't want, so I un-clicked that option, deleted all the MOBI files i had converted and reconverted them with that option deselected.
The issue is- now when I do the "send to kindle" option, the authors still are not showing up correctly. Instead of automatically putting the correct author's name, it is showing my name, or the author of the previous file I sent using the program.

I am thoroughly confusing the guy from Amazon that I am talking on the phone with, is this possibly a Calibre issue?

booksnsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
booksnsocks

to clarify, once I clicked "enable booksharing", the "author" part of the send to kindle app automatically read my name, and then when I manually typed in each author's name, it would remember the previous author. But since I load many books in succession, not all with the same author, this is problematic unless I want to manually change it each time. which I really dont.

I thought unclicking it might change that, but I'm having no luck. Is it a metadata thing?
Old 10-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Use the AZW3 format
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This is a metadata thing, and the send-to-kindle application will insist on doing its own thing.

You can always use the email option within calibre itself (under the Connect/Share toolbar icon), which will allow you to email the books using your email account. You will have to add your email address as allowed in your Amazon account settings. emailing the book will use only the metadata in the file.

Note that when adding books to your online Personal Documents, Amazon will post-process the book and make covers work regardless (and override the sharing setting). Also, you cannot send an AZW3, if I remember correctly they will simply convert it to the legacy MOBI format.
People have had luck emailing a dual-mobi, but then covers disappear.

Personally, I've always found it easier to directly sideload everything.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
booksnsocks

Thank you for your responses- and helping me find this thread again. I asked for help again before receiving the next message from the moderator telling me where my thread was, so I had no idea it still existed. His first message to me said he had deleted my double posts (plural), so I didn't realize that any answers might still be available.

I am truly sorry for cross posting, it was not, and is not my intention to spam, nor to aggravate people. I am very very very new to the forum thing (as in, I haven't been on one before) and am nervous and trying to do the right thing, and am doing my best with the information given to me. Thank you for everyone's patience as I learn.

As to my problem- if this is a metadata thing, any idea why it suddenly changed? I've never struggled with this before. I wonder if using an older version of Send to Kindle might help?
And in terms of emailing books to myself- why would that help? I would have to get them from my computer to my kindle somehow anyway, right? So how would that bypass the Send to Kindle app?
I'm sorry it's not clicking in my brain- this girl is frazzled trying to figure it out!

thank you again-
do you think it would be best for me to just edit each author as I send each book? Is that the best fix for my issue?
Old 10-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Simply use the email feature integrated in calibre. Instead of send-to-device or save-to-disk (which I assume you are using to export from calibre and open them in Amazon's Send-To-Kindle app) simply select the following option in calibre:

Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-send-to-email.png
Views:	363
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	130115

You will have to enter your email info into calibre, in Preferences ==> Sharing ==> Sharing books by email. calibre will login to that email address and send the email with the books from there.
And enter in the list of email addresses you would like be able to email to. Specifically, your send-to-kindle address, usually your_account_name@free.kindle.com

You will also have to enter your email address in as allowed, at http://amazon.com/manageyourkindle
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote