Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Sigwolf
Sigwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
metadata.calibre on Kindle keyboard

I recently had a screen failure on my kindle keyboard and had to have it replaced. To keep my data intact, I copied the document folder from the old kindle to my computer, then copied that to the new kindle. When I connect the new kindle to calibre, it shows the same number of books that I had on the old device, and shows them 'in library', so everything looks good.

The only discrepancy comes when looking in the root directory of the new kindle. One of the files calibre places there, 'metadata.calibre' is only about 300kB, while the file on the old kindle was about 900kB. Why would there be such a large difference in file sizes when both kindles have the exact same books? More importantly, is this going to cause any problems in the future?
Sigwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That fileis what calibre uses to cache metadata. In your case since the file was recreated from scanning the kindle, it does not contain thumbnails of the covers (these are only present if yuo send the file from calibre to the device).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Sigwolf

Thanks, Kovid. Will the lack of thumbnails have any negative effect now, or in the future? Can I, or should I, copy the metadata.calibre file from the old kindle to the new since the books are still the same at this point or is there device specific information there as well? Or should I just leave it alone and not worry about it?

Thanks again for the quick reply and help.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, they wont cause problems. You basically will not have covers in the device view in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Sigwolf

FWIW, I think I was able to correct the situation by just resending all the books to my kindle from calibre. That way, all the bookmarks/notes/etc., I copied from the original kindle were retained, and metadata.calibre also had all the information. I don't know if there was an easier way to do it, but it seems to have done the trick...