Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #61
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrko View Post
Dear Booxtor,

Reading your replay was a bit of amusement I think "veracity" has nothing to do with both my question and your answer. I would rather say that "probability" is the issue which is behind our little chat here. Let me explain my point of view:

1. Interestingly, it was Onyx itself who quite recently changed the availability date of black version of M92 - from March to May.
2. A common thinking then could be as follows - In rare instance, your business (as distributor) will be able to place the new product on the market prior to Onyx (as manufacturer). But it would be a bit of odd, unusual.
3. In the theory, such an odd state of affairs can be explained in at least two ways:
(a) delivery to your business will also be moved from March to May, because first batch of the new product is delayed.
(b) first batch of the new product has been already produced and contracted to be delivered to distributors (including your business), but after that Onyx discovered some flaws on the technical side of the first batch, and is going to quietly solve this problem before second batch will be made available, thus creating this interesting discrepancy: you will deliver first units in March, while Onyx will deliver first units in May.

Regards,
Marrko.
I got you.
I guess the reason of delay by onyxboox.com must be explained by owner of the shop. We dont know about any kind of problems by manufacturer with M92B. The "out for shipping" of our first batch was confirmed yesterday. And the next batch will be delivered in 3 weeks (is already in production)
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #62
Marrko
Marrko began at the beginning.

Device: eSlick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I got you.
I guess the reason of delay by onyxboox.com must be explained by owner of the shop. We dont know about any kind of problems by manufacturer with M92B. The "out for shipping" of our first batch was confirmed yesterday. And the next batch will be delivered in 3 weeks (is already in production)
So, onyxboox.com is not onyx site?
Marrko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #63
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Hey.
A few days ago I paid and booked my M92 Black Onyx, for shipment to my home in Spain.

Can you confirm if it will be available for March 26?

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #64
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
Hey.
A few days ago I paid and booked my M92 Black Onyx, for shipment to my home in Spain.

Can you confirm if it will be available for March 26?

regards
Yes!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #65
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Yes!
Thanks for the info.
I guess in 4 or 5 days, as of March 26, I come to my house.

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #66
rmrmg
rmrmg began at the beginning.

Device: (M92)
I decided to buy M92. Now, the question is color: black or white?
I heard black is better because it make illusion of whiter eInk what increase reading comfort. Is the difference really visible? Is there any other pro or cons of black version?
rmrmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #67
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Maybe you can have a look at a kobo touch first in a local store? There is also a black and a white version of the kobo touch and this device has the same display technology as the M92.

I decided to buy a white one, because the black margin irritates my eyes, when there is not at least half a centimeter padding between the contents on the display and the dark border. I confirmed this impression with a black kobo touch in a local electronics store. With a white margin it looks more natural to me when the lines of text reach till the edge of the visible area of the display.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #68
2Steam
2Steam began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
I am really confused about the discussion about 'better readability' of the black eReader. I accept the black frame as a matter of individual taste.
However if readability was better with black frames, all books and newspapers would have black frames. But I only know black frames from condolence cards.
2Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #69
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Angry

I've searched the net for pics and interestingly i found several readers in black, which had a small white inner frame.
What makes me worry about the white M92, is that it's whiter than the ePaper. I could imagine reading outside in sunlight could be worse compared to the black frame.

Obviously the best solution would be a frame with the same color as the epaper's "background". But this would sell not well because of the strange greyish white, i guess. So we have such a wonderful highly advanced technology and because of the impression in advertisements the benefits are diminished by marketing aspects.
As an engineer, this hurts the most because the main principle of good engineering - form follows function - is more and more neglected by marketing considerations.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #70
Booxtor
Booxtor

It is actually very subjective. I prefer black frame. As a matter of fact the eyes are permanently adjusted by surroundings. It is just more pleasant for me to see (sence) the background whiter (even though I have to sacrifice margins in some documents). I have tried to read from white framed screens - just not my thing.

PS: If some one is thinking about to buy M92 with white frame - hurry up. Right now we have last two dozens of M92 matt white in our stock and aren't going to order them in the next future.

Last edited by Booxtor; 03-23-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #71
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
As an engineer, this hurts the most because the main principle of good engineering - form follows function - is more and more neglected by marketing considerations.
I always like it when people know what they are talking about: form follows function is a design principle, not an engineering priciple.
That would be something like: function follows form - as is applied by Apple in an exemplary matter.

As for the color of ereaders: they come in all shapes and sizes, even red and blue - so the choice seems to be pretty subjective ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #72
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
It is actually very subjective. I prefer black frame. As a matter of fact the eyes are permanently adjusted by surroundings. It is just more pleasant for me to see (sence) the background whiter (even though I have to sacrifice margins in some documents). I have tried to read from white framed screens - just not my thing.

PS: If some one is thinking about to buy M92 with white frame - hurry up. Right now we have last two dozens of M92 matt white in our stock and aren't going to order them in the next future.
Why would you not reorder them if they are selling well? :S
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #73
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
I always like it when people know what they are talking about: form follows function is a design principle, not an engineering priciple.
I'm talking about engineered design.
Design decisions have more and more become pure marketing decisions. These days marketing is overruling engineering. The better solutions very often are ruled out because of pure marketing aspects: instead of the principle that form is secondary after the best possible functionality, this has been perverted into design being everything.
Quote:
That would be something like: function follows form - as is applied by Apple in an exemplary matter.
Good engineering is about the best result and quality, not about the highest profit!
Engineering means finding a solution. Therefore ALWAYS the functionality has priority and afterwards the design, the form.
So to me it seems you have no clue what engineering is.
Quote:
As for the color of ereaders: they come in all shapes and sizes, even red and blue - so the choice seems to be pretty subjective ...
Well, i think it is undoubted that physical paper gives the best reading experience. And it's border has the same color as the background of the text.
Now since ereaders are available in all colors and forms, you should have no problem, to name me a product that offers a frame with roughly the same color as the epaper, so that the eye can adapt on the brightness of the background and must not accomodate when reading at the borders.

Oh wait, there is none?
Not a single eReader on the whole market, that offers the best frame color for reading? Because marketing has taken over everything, the first impressions, the look on a photo or presentation has become more important than the functionality and the results are products that are MUCH worse than they need to be.
Marketing people are good in talking up worthless BS, but they are not clever enough to explain big ergonomic advantages that are vastly superior to a "cool" looking design.

Last edited by Defenderland; 03-23-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #74
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
Good engineering is about the best result and quality, not about the highest profit!
Engineering means finding a solution. Therefore ALWAYS the functionality has priority and afterwards the design, the form.
So to me it seems you have no clue what engineering is.
You see, in our business (industrial machinery) I have seen companies with superior engineering go bankrupt one by one. Products that are well engineered are often too costly, the additional benefits that a customer gets from a great product over a "good enough" product are not enough. The is no payback for the extra cost.

What really matters is sales. What good is the perfect product when nobody wants to buy it? Marketing people have to make the final decisions on products, the focus must be on "what can I sell at what price". Engineers that try to be artists striving for perfection have ruined many a good company. If gimmicks are what sells, engineers HAVE TO design gimmicks.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-25-2012 at 03:57 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #75
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Sorry for offtopic, but I cannot help.

The reality of consumer driven economy is even more sad...

Friend of mine who works in advertising company made a consumer testing for one international producer of ketchups. The group of consumers blindtested taste, quality, etc. of different kinds of ketchup (in the range from superior quality to garbage with not much tomatoes and plenty of additives). The winner of the 'contest' was the lowest quality, the looser the highest quality!!!!!!!!

No wonder that producers produce garbage food and sell it for superior quality prices at our market. Consumers wouldn't buy the quality product, because it wouldn't taste them...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote