Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
flyingtablet
flyingtablet began at the beginning.

Device: none
can frequent USB charging damage the battery?

I have lots of PDF papers to read and I often find related papers that
I want to upload to Kindle DX.
However, DX does not allow download of PDF through whispernet.
I have to use USB.

But the moment I plug in the USB cable, it starts charging.

I think the battery's lifespan also depends on charging cycle (even
if not complete charging)

Any comments?
flyingtablet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wouldn't worry about it. You are not going to affect the battery life in any dramatic way. Also, some will tell you what you are doing it BETTER for it, and some will say it is WORSE for it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Well the Sony PRS-505 did not come with a power cord, you had to buy it separately. I know we are talking about the Kindle but the only way you could charge the PRS-505 if you did not buy the cord was through USB and that's how I charged mine for the 1st 3 months of ownership with no problems. Also, most readers you have to connect them to a computer to load material by USB so I don't think you should worry. Only the Kindle has Whispernet to load data at the moment, so all other manufactured readers has been doing fine so far, even though they have to be connected to load data and charging while you do so; you actually gaining a benefit of rarely charging when you load content via USB.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
KeithH
New to e-reading
KeithH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle? (2? / DX?)
I agree: opinions vary. Here's mine:

NiMH likes deep cycle, but lithium likes shallow; i.e. charge frequently to prolong Lithium battery life.

Lithium can handle MANY more shallow charges versus deep, so don't let it run down any lower than necessary.
KeithH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No, it does not. Li-Poly is fine with partial charges.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It will be fine, lithium batteries are pretty robust. It's different to most laptop batteries where those batteries do need special management to avoid the battery getting a memory and holding only small amounts of power.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote