Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What Novel Would you like to see win the Hugo Award For Best Novel?
Anathem - Neal Stephenson 11 34.38%
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman 5 15.63%
Little Brother - Cory Doctorow 10 31.25%
Satan's Children - Charles Stross 4 12.50%
Zoe's Tale - John Scalzi 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Awards bring new (to me) authors to my attention.

The Graveyard Book? Seriously? Sure, it was an entertaining piece of fantasy but not, um, award winner material to me.
Why not award winning? Do you mean that award winning books must satisfy some criteria about content?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #47
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Yes, it must be outstanding to me. Satisfied? Or am I not allowed to express the opinion that The Graveyard Book was just "okay?" That's all it was for me. Could have been written by Dean Koontz, as if Odd Thomas was not at least as good...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #48
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it must be outstanding to me. Satisfied? Or am I not allowed to express the opinion that The Graveyard Book was just "okay?" That's all it was for me. Could have been written by Dean Koontz, as if Odd Thomas was not at least as good...
OK. Personally I think that award winning quality is not the same thing as me liking it. I have read books I have thought is award winning quality but they are not just to my taste so personally I think they are only OK.

And since I make this distinction I thought other did it also and was curious about what was missing from The Graveyard Book.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #49
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Okay, that's a fair question -- The Graveyard Book's plot was (IMO) too predictable and the prose was mediocre, even a bit stilted. I felt the text drew attention to itself, did not disappear as a medium.

Stephenson's works also frequently draw far too much attention to the medium but I forgive that more because he tickles my funny bone and stimulates my imagination, while often educating me simultaneously. He'd be annoying if he wasn't so clever and, perhaps, his books would be even better if he accepted more editing to remove clever phases.

I do enjoy Gaiman. I defend my enjoyment of American Gods and Anansi Boys (lesser of the two to me). To me their uber-plain text was a breath of fresh air.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #50
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
the prose was mediocre, even a bit stilted. I felt the text drew attention to itself, did not disappear as a medium.
I thought the prose style was intentional and I thought it worked. I think a prose style that draws attention to itself can enhance the work but I have friends that do not like it at all when the text do not disappear so I understand your point of view.
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #51
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I too thought the prose was intentional and added to the book's atmosphere. Personally, I liked the style. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but the beginning where the man Jack brings a knife that leaves wet was perfect. One of Gaiman's strengths is his ability not only to tell a story but to create an atmosphere -- Mirror Mask is an excellent example.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #52
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
You know, Little Brother was the only one of those that even came close to being what I'd consider a Hugo award nominee based on the kind of challenging, exploring and fairly unique stuff that used to get nominated. What in the world happened?

edit: And I'm not really trying to be provocative I like the authors that are nominated. I've read good things by all of them and I've heard 3 of them are extremely nice folks and haven't heard anything bad about the ones I don't know about. I guess I've just noticed a difference all of a sudden.

Last edited by wayspooled; 07-22-2009 at 10:50 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #53
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You are not provoking anything at all. Read back to the beginning of this thread, and you will see that more than just you and I were very disappointed in this year's nominees. But last year when they were first published, things all around the world were going to heck in a handbasket, and music and lit always mirror such things. I haven't seen any evidence that this year's crop of new stories is going to be any better. Except for Little Brother, in my opinion, the rest were just the best of what was available.

Usually, being labeled a Hugo nominee or winner made it something I had to read. In fact, when the list came out this year, I got ahold of all of them, books, novellas, short stories, introductions, and post-it notes, and read them all. They were very discouraging politically and none really moved me. I'm wondering what will happen next year when the list comes out?

Last edited by DixieGal; 07-22-2009 at 11:05 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #54
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
They were very discouraging politically
Discouraging politically?

What does that mean?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
You know, Little Brother was the only one of those that even came close to being what I'd consider a Hugo award nominee based on the kind of challenging, exploring and fairly unique stuff that used to get nominated. What in the world happened?
After now having read all the novels I placed Anathem first just because I thought it was the only novel that was really science fiction and the only novel that was challenging and tried to do something different.

Adam Roberts kind of agree that the the quality of the nominated works was low:

http://punkadiddle.blogspot.com/2009/07/hugos-2009.html
Old 07-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #56
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
After now having read all the novels I placed Anathem first just because I thought it was the only novel that was really science fiction and the only novel that was challenging and tried to do something different.

Adam Roberts kind of agree that the the quality of the nominated works was low:

http://punkadiddle.blogspot.com/2009/07/hugos-2009.html

Thanks for the link! When he gets down to suggesting his picks for next year, I added them to my TBR list. I want to start with Palimpset.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #57
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Discouraging politically?

What does that mean?

- Ahi
Does anyone know what DixieGal meant? She is note likely to answer me, as I believe she does not see my posts.

- Ahi
Old 07-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #58
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Does anyone know what DixieGal meant? She is note likely to answer me, as I believe she does not see my posts.
I would guess that it mean that the books political "message" or stance does not agree withe the readers opinion.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We can choose not to read such books, of course. Eg, I avoid John Ringo's more recent books for that very recent, although I enjoyed his earlier books, before he started writing political manifestos, rather than SF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #60
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I would guess that it mean that the books political "message" or stance does not agree withe the readers opinion.
Oh, ok. That makes sense.

I've actually had something similar to Harry's experience with Niven's more recent books. Certain parts and short stories seem like thinly veiled and somewhat simple-minded propaganda, very much at the expense of the creativity and ingenuity I've come to expect from the author.

- Ahi