Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Taantric
Taantric began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Nook Color
PRS-505 -- What happens on the device after disconnecting from sync session?

I love my new ebook device, but it is clear as light that Sony made some really retarded design decisions in the whole managing your ebook library process.

- I have 16GB SDHC card on to which I have loaded approx 7GB of ebooks (14000 books in PDF format).

- I copied the books over to the SD card using the sony software.

- As soon as I disconnect my device from the USB, the circling arrows icon comes on and sits there circling till the battery runs out.

- what in shiva's name is the device doing? and why does it have to do it every time you disconnect it from your PC?

/warning rant incoming --

Dear Sony,

Before you released a firmware update which "Allows SDHC cards with a capacity greater than 4GB", did it occur to you morons that your device + book management software is utterly incapable of managing more than a few books at a time? Or the fact that a flat file structure + reindexing after each sync is possibily the worst way you could have designed the whole process?

It is quite obvious no one in Sony Reader team bothered to actually test the scaling of the device and library software. Please spend some of your billions and hire some designers with an IQ > 40 to come up with all the use cases and then test them.

Sincerely

An angry customer

/end rant
Taantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
ZOMG 7gb of documents? I don't think the reader is designed to handle more than 300 documents efficiently.

What I presume the reader to be doing post-disconnection is that it scans the entire internal memory + external memory, reading document meta-data and adding them to media.xml or something. So I am not really surprised that your reader is taking infinitely long to parse the data.

And with regards to the support of large memory cards, i think it's more for mp3s than documents.

Last edited by SurgE; 08-14-2008 at 02:13 AM.
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
And with regards to the support of large memory cards, i think it's more for mp3s than documents.
Given how quickly the battery runs out when listening to MP3s I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taantric View Post
I love my new ebook device, but it is clear as light that Sony made some really retarded design decisions in the whole managing your ebook library process.
I have been a little surprised by Sony's design decisions here too. When you disconnect the reader from the computer it will rebuild the internal book/music/picture database. This is fairly CPU-intensive and given that you have 14000 books (!) on it, it appears the battery runs out before it can finish.

For reference, I currently have some 800 books on it, which leaves me with a 2-minute wait at disconnect. At around 1500 books the wait for the reader to re-index after disconnect became something like 15 minutes. So I scaled down a little and use multiple smaller storage cards which I swap out.

I too dream of carrying around an entire library on the reader, however, without a file/folder based manager (rather than a database which rebuild on every cold boot) I don't see this happening.

Which does make the Memory Stick/SDHC design decision (for a total possible storage space of 8+32=40 Gb) a bit strange, huh? For now, I've made good alternative use of the storage space by loading lots of manga and other comics, they eat space like crazy.

But in the long term, unless someone develops a file/folder manager to replace the original Sony db manager, you are SOL with extremely large collections. The best advice I can give is to spread it out.

ps. I have also read reports that the SDHC implementation on the reader might not be all that stable.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote