Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I prefer holding the naked device so I use a zippered sleeve to carry it around in relative safety. http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-LEGACY-...ref=pd_cp_pc_3
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I prefer holding the naked device so I use a zippered sleeve to carry it around in relative safety. http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-LEGACY-...ref=pd_cp_pc_3
I used sleeves for several years prior to the PW (the magnetic on-off feature drew me back to book-style covers). Sleeves are great,but often provide inadequate protection from other items you may be carrying in a backpack or bag. I came to prefer zippered hard cases where possible instead, and used this one for two years with a Kindle Touch. The Paperwhite also fits just fine in it:

http://www.amazon.com/iGadgitz-Paper...dp/B0064JEXUY/
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 AM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I still carry my PaperWhite in the slipcase that was included as part of the prize from the Winter 2012 Contest. I've not had any trouble with it and it even has a hard plastic insert (between the inner and outer lining of the case) that helps protect the screen. Click

Last edited by crich70; 02-11-2014 at 03:43 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I still carry my PaperWhite in the slipcase that was included as part of the prize from the Winter 2012 Contest. I've not had any trouble with it and it even has a hard plastic insert (between the inner and outer lining of the case) that helps protect the screen. Click

That's the homepage. Can you please direct us to the exact product?

I, too, use a Waterfield type of case to carry my Kindle Paperwhite 2, although just a bit too large for that model. I originally purchased the case for my Kindle 2, which was perfect fit.

These are excellent products.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's the homepage. Can you please direct us to the exact product?

I, too, use a Waterfield type of case to carry my Kindle Paperwhite 2, although just a bit too large for that model. I originally purchased the case for my Kindle 2, which was perfect fit.

These are excellent products.
Sure, here you go Dr. Drib.
Kindle Slipcase
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Time to train your 2 yr old not to toss books LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #22
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I have a Fintie Folio that I got from Amazon for $9.99. It's a very nice case. Highly recommended, especially at that price.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've been reading the old threads and am confused about something. I've just received this case from ebay.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-THIN...item337dff279b

Sorry for the long url.
I can't remember if this is the case which needs to be filed down at one corner in order to remove the reader easily. The other thread, refered to above, became a bit confusing as to which case the members were refering to.

I'm amazed at how small this is compared to the Sony supplied case for the 505. Is this because the paperwhite is a lot smaller than the 505?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #24
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Just got my PW today with the Amazon $39 case (purple) - looks great, very sturdy, good protection (important for a klutz) - glad I got it! I would recommend it.

(Still checking out the PW, but so far, so good).

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #25
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
Hello,

I used to have an Oberon case for my Kindle Keyboard... but the Kindle Keyboard recently broke and is out of warranty. It randomly reboots and sometimes will not exit the screen saver mode. So sad.

So I ordered a Paperwhite.

Any case recommendations? I LOVED the Oberon Design Case, but It's so expensive that I can't justify buying another one for the Paperwite...

I want case that will protect the Kindle and the screen well. I have a toddler who may accidently, you know, throw it. The oberon was sufficient as it is thick leather that fully covered the edges of the device. I don't want to have to take the kindle out of the case to use it. I want something that looks good as well.

Any recommendations?

Help appreciated!
Well, you can always do what I plan to do. I will probably be getting a Paperwhite this year. I love my Kindle3 Oberon Design cover, too, and I don't think there is anything else out there quite like it except for the new Oberon covers - which I cannot afford, either. So, I am going to modify my Oberon cover to fit the Paperwhite.

I can't imagine it will be that difficult, just sew in some leather loops (facilitated by the use of a leather punch and waxed thread,) or even a mix of leather and elastic loops. These loops, placed at the corners, will hold the Paperwhite securely in the cover, your eReader will be nicely protected and you get continue to use your beautiful Oberon cover!

Works for me!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #26
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Well, you can always do what I plan to do. I will probably be getting a Paperwhite this year. I love my Kindle3 Oberon Design cover, too, and I don't think there is anything else out there quite like it except for the new Oberon covers - which I cannot afford, either. So, I am going to modify my Oberon cover to fit the Paperwhite.

I can't imagine it will be that difficult, just sew in some leather loops (facilitated by the use of a leather punch and waxed thread,) or even a mix of leather and elastic loops. These loops, placed at the corners, will hold the Paperwhite securely in the cover, your eReader will be nicely protected and you get continue to use your beautiful Oberon cover!

Works for me!

Holly
Holly--others have used industrial strength Velcro on both the case and back of the device in place of going to the effort of stitching in new loops. That might be a quicker, easier option.

That said, the size difference is pretty dramatic. When you get your PW2, you'll see what I mean. It's so much more compact, it fits better into smaller purses and even into large pockets, places that the K3 never would. You lose that size advantage if you stay with the larger case.

I gave my K2 Oberon to a K2 user, and just have an actual Oberon journal as a travel journal instead--picked up secondhand but unused on eBay for a lot less than new. (You could easily convert the K3 case to hold a notepad or bound notebook...) Having a smaller, lighter PW case this time around has been lovely!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #27
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
Holly--others have used industrial strength Velcro on both the case and back of the device in place of going to the effort of stitching in new loops. That might be a quicker, easier option.

That said, the size difference is pretty dramatic. When you get your PW2, you'll see what I mean. It's so much more compact, it fits better into smaller purses and even into large pockets, places that the K3 never would. You lose that size advantage if you stay with the larger case.

I gave my K2 Oberon to a K2 user, and just have an actual Oberon journal as a travel journal instead--picked up secondhand but unused on eBay for a lot less than new. (You could easily convert the K3 case to hold a notepad or bound notebook...) Having a smaller, lighter PW case this time around has been lovely!
Darn! Excellent point about the size difference, Victoria. I, obviously, did not take that into consideration - well, I knew the PW was smaller, but, sight unseen, didn't realize it would make that much of a difference. Repurposing the Oberon Kindle 3 cover as a journal cover is a great suggestion; thank you for the idea!

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 02-19-2014 at 03:10 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #28
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Although I still haven't received the actual PW (still being prepared for dispatch, this is taking ages), the case I linked to is worth a look. I bought the brown one and I'm impressed by the sturdiness of the cover. This will prevent heavy cat paws from damaging the screen, so no need for a hard cover like the ecaddy ones.

I'll have to read through the long old thread again to find out which case needed filing down at one corner to facilitate easy removal of the reader. Apparently it was impossible to get the reader out of one of the cases without lots of panic!

I've just re-read the old thread, the one I've bought isn't the one which needs to have a corner shaved. That's the one mentioned by the OP in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197726

Last edited by BookCat; 02-19-2014 at 04:42 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I ordered this one on eBay

The color ones look like the exact same one as the one I have in black now, with the cutout for the Kindle logo, but the black one pictured here also covers this logo, as far as I can see.

I've ordered it because my current one has a dirty spot on the inside of the flap. I probably put it onto the table with the flap folded backward while the table wasn't entirely clean.

The reseller where I got my current case is not on eBay anymore.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-19-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #30
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm looking at cases now and am probably going with this simple hardshell. This article on The Wirecutter was informative. The Sparin case seems identical to their pick, minus the branding on the inside cover. These cases are lighter and IMO better looking than the official cases.

I was hoping to find a flip-cover that could serve as a stand, but there aren't many options. This iGadgitz case seems like the best, but it looks bulky and over-engineered. Something identical to those hardshells but hinged at the top would work fine. A lot of my reading with my PW2 so far has been using a large binder clip as an improvised stand.

I'm just looking for minimal screen protection and a few more ways to hold (or not hold) the thing. I might just modify the Sparin case with a picture-frame-style kickstand. I had a Nook Color case with one of those, and it worked well as both a stand and a handle.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, cover, paperwhite, protection