Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
joshi
joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle All
Question Add extra keywords in titles of Kindle books to boost sales?

I am toying with the idea of adding extra words to the titles of my Dad's books.
These are existing works that have all been published previously in the last 20 to 50 years. I newly scanned and published them to Kindle earlier this year.

My question is simply I want to boost sales and one way to do that is to have more words in the titles. Some of the books existing titles are simply one word, so I am hoping it can have a significant effect.

Anyone think this is a good / bad / otherwise idea?

The books are of literary significance. My Dad is the author Clifford Irving:
[Link removed - MODERAT0R]

Your thoughts please?

ps. The works are mostly fiction

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-29-2012 at 06:33 AM.
joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Don't change the titles of existing books. That will just confuse people who are familiar with his books.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I haven't tried it with Amazon, but aren't your keywords based on your tag cloud and not your title?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It must be nice to be the son or daughter of a writer. I think I would have liked that.
Just wondering why your dad does not take care of this himself ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
It must be nice to be the son or daughter of a writer. I think I would have liked that.
Just wondering why your dad does not take care of this himself ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Irving
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could add some words to the title like it was done with the print version of
Fake: The Story of Elmyr de Hory the Greatest Art Forger of Our Time
The original one-word-title "Fake" is shown on the cover next to it.
($ 245.45 for a used book?)

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I think there may be an Amazon TOS issue, but I can't recall the portion specifically, about adding non-title content to the title space. If you mean to change the titles of the books themselves, I'm sure that's different.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
According to the ISBN user manual, a new ISBN is required if you change the title of the publication.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
Though they usually miss it anyway, it is actually against the Amazon 'rules'

Also, I think it's a little low for a respected author.

But do what you gotta do, if it helps, no biggy.

Last edited by jarrahloh; 12-02-2012 at 05:26 PM.
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Longer titles are generally good, but that doesn't mean they should be complicated and hard to remember. Try at least to get the title idea at the front of the title.

Consider
"Real Success, the trials and tribulations of a defrocked priest trying to make a go of it in High End NY Real Estate."

"Real Success"

"The trials and tribulations of a defrocked priest trying to find Real Success in High End NY Real Estate."

or being cute and catchy in the media:

"Defrocked in High End."

Last edited by frahse; 12-02-2012 at 02:14 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
joshi
joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle All
Thank you for the input.

These are my dads suggestions per my request (with my notes following in brackets):

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF HOWARD HUGHES : A Billionaire's Confession of a Bizarre Life
(This addition may be pushing it since currently this Fictional work is in 'Biographies & memoirs' category?)

JAILING : The Prison Memoir of Novelist Clifford Irving
(Cover picture shows: JAILING: The Prison Memoirs of 00040, AKA Clifford Irving)
Which I prefer and would simply add the word 'Novelist', is this cool with Amazon I wonder?

TOM MIX AND PANCHO VILLA : A Historical Romance of Mexico and the Old West

FAKE! : The True Story of the Greatest Art Forger of the 20th Century
(I just changed to same as hardback edition: Fake! The Story of Elmyr De Hory, the Greatest Art Forger of Our Time)

TRIAL : A Texas Courtroom Thriller

FINAL ARGUMENT : A Florida Courtroom Thriller

THE ANGEL OF ZIN : A Novel of Nazis, Death Camps, and the Holocaust

DADDY’S GIRL : A True Story of Multiple Murder, Incest, and Texas Justice
(This is already done as it exists in Hardback like this)

DIABLO VALLEY: A Saga of Empire in the Old West

THE SPRING : A Colorado Courtroom Thriller

BLOOMBERG DISCOVERS AMERICA : A Jew’s Dangerous Journey through the Old South

I REMEMBER AMNESIA : An East Hampton Courtroom Thriller

Please let me know your thoughts on this?
Especially No.1

Best,
Josh
joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
RaphaelOKeffe
RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RaphaelOKeffe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The best way to go about this is to just switch your description up and add very highly targeted keywords to the description to attract more traffic to your website.

Don't change the title up though that is bad. Once you have your title your stuck and you don't want to compromise your title for keyword stuffing.
RaphaelOKeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Since Irving confessed to the fake biography of Hughes and was sentenced to prison for almost 2 years for fraud, then I think Irving should take advantage of this 'negative' part of his life.

"THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF HOWARD HUGHES" now says nothing 41 years later and resonates in no way with Irving's decision to commit fraud.

I think it should be retitled to take 'advantage' of this aspect of his crime, if one can think of it in that sense.

Perhaps even repackaging "Jailing" with the "Autobiography" [if those two are related] - ALONG WITH ANY NEWLY WRITTEN THOUGHTS ABOUT THE CRIME - would be an interesting marketing ploy.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-18-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
cathalmc
cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cathalmc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's an interesting idea, but its logical conclusion is that every book would be called 'The Romantic Adventure Mystery of the Lost Wizard Zombie in the Tomb of Fantasy Vampire Treasure'.

Which keywords were you thinking of ...?
cathalmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Since Irving confessed to the fake biography of Hughes and was sentenced to prison for almost 2 years for fraud, then I think Irving should take advantage of this 'negative' part of his life.

"THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF HOWARD HUGHES" now says nothing 41 years later and resonates in no way with Irving's decision to commit fraud.

I think it should be retitled to take 'advantage' of this aspect of his crime, if one can think of it in that sense.

Perhaps even repackaging "Jailing" with the "Autobiography" [if those two are related] - ALONG WITH ANY NEWLY WRITTEN THOUGHTS ABOUT THE CRIME - would be an interesting marketing ploy.

Don
I like Don's idea. More specifically, I like the idea of repackaging into new editions with added value - new content. Even if you did this for only one book, successfully marketing the new edition would increase exposure (and sales) to the other titles without having to change them.

But it has to clearly be a new edition, with adequate new content to justify it. In other words, sufficient new content that it would be interesting to those who owned the original work. Otherwise it's just a very transparent marketing ploy.

Simply re-titling the existing works is not a good idea. It can get you caught up in issues with retailers and readers. As someone else already mentioned, ISBNs are tied to one format of one named title anyway, so trying to slip a new title into an existing edition is bad form and can get you de-listed.

So my next question would be - does your father currently hold rights to all formats? If not, which ones are you in a position to work on? Look at what you've got and look for ways to make them fresh. Autobiography, Hoax and Jailing make an interesting bundle, yes?

Is there a journalist or respected blogger that would be interested in doing a retrospective piece? Does your father have any unpublished bits that could be released in a clever manner?

There's lots to work with here. So much interesting stuff, and such an interesting man! Don't fuss about titles - think bigger!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keywords, kindle, literary, promotion