Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
Can anyone tell me if keyboard shortcut can be turned off or not?
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
Can anyone tell me if keyboard shortcut can be turned off or not?
You can change the preference for it to other keystrokes or Nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tidy shrotcut.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	86603  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #18
seanos
Zealot

Do you mean the word ‘Nothing’? If I choose Clear, the shortcut appears to be gone, but comes back the next time Sigil is started.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you mean the word ‘Nothing’? If I choose Clear, the shortcut appears to be gone, but comes back the next time Sigil is started.
Clear

Does the same here (Sigil 5.1 on XP SP3)
Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Because when you click Clear, you are clearing the edit box and your custom shortcut. Since you've cleared the custom shortcut, the default shortcut will be used.

If you want to avoid using the shortcut, just change it to something harder to press accidentally.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
seanos
Zealot

That's not the way most programs work. You have every right to do it that way, but I think you should expect people to be puzzled. Usually a null or empty setting means just that. Making up some weird key combination seems a little crazy or at least non-intuitive.

There are other commands listed that don't have shortcuts. How does that work then?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That's not the way most programs work. You have every right to do it that way, but I think you should expect people to be puzzled. Usually a null or empty setting means just that. Making up some weird key combination seems a little crazy or at least non-intuitive.

There are other commands listed that don't have shortcuts. How does that work then?
I am with you. This interface is strange.
Why have a Reset (which copies the default) and let this happen anyway, if there is a default value and the field was left blank?

BTW I did manage to set it to Ctrl+Alt+6 (not too much chance I will fumble that one )
Old 05-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Sounds like something worth looking into a bit more.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Sounds like something worth looking into a bit more.
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #25
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
User's problems with Tidy go a long way back, and Sigil is greatly improved in recent versions. I still occasionally have odd codes inserted without my asking (with Tidy turned off); the most common ones by far are inserting codes for < or > in strange places. Of course the < or > then appears unexpectedly and must be eliminated. In proofing, if I notice the problem, then I search all files for the added code and usually several locations are found, and can easily be deleted. If Sigil indicated there was an error, then I could have manually corrected it, but the cause of adding the < > is never noted by Sigil. I think they are added when I've corrected all the errors found by Sigil, and there is a final error noted at the very end of the document. I'm unable to find a cause at that point, so I must choose automatic correction - voila! Probably the < > are added somewhere.

Last edited by bobcdy; 05-20-2012 at 05:31 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is after editing in Sigil, I clean up the "pretty formatting" using Notepad++. It's very easy to fix.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JSWolf. I've used Notepad++ some time ago, but now use UltraEdit. How do you clean up an epub with Notepad++? Can it be incorporated as a plub-in into Sigil, or can Notepad++ directly open/save epub books?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Notepad++ is ONLY for Windows

That leaves out MAC and Linux
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Using Notepad++...

With the contents of the ePub (just the OEBPS) directory unzipped from the ePub, go into the text directory and you can load all of the contents of the Text (XML files) directory in one go into separate tabs. Then you can search/replace across all of the tabs to fix what needs to be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #30
bobcdy
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Using Notepad++...

With the contents of the ePub (just the OEBPS) directory unzipped from the ePub, go into the text directory and you can load all of the contents of the Text (XML files) directory in one go into separate tabs. Then you can search/replace across all of the tabs to fix what needs to be fixed.
Thanks. I'll give this a try - it looks like an excellent way to edit all the files. When I want to do this, I've used the old version of Sigil that has a single file. Then it's simple to load all the material into a text editor, correct it, and reload it back into the Sigil. However, it doesn't work very well with really complex, large epubs, and I think I'll prefer your method.