Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Autumn Corvus
Autumn Corvus began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
semicolons swapped with commas in tags?

Hi, I was curious why in the metadata tags a semicolon is used where it would seem a comma is more appropriate, e.g. 'biography, philosophy, Wittgenstein; Ludwig'. Is there a reason why it needs to be this way, and if not is there an easy way to bulk reverse them?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this. Calibre's an amazing program!
Autumn Corvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
In the tags field, a comma is used as the tag seperaor.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Corvus View Post
Hi, I was curious why in the metadata tags a semicolon is used where it would seem a comma is more appropriate, e.g. 'biography, philosophy, Wittgenstein; Ludwig'.
The are three reasons a semicolon would be in a tag:

1. The metadata downloaded had a semicolon in its tag.
2. The book purchased had the tag with a semicolon in it.
3. The user placed the semicolon in the tag when adding when adding a tag to calibre.

Calibre has nothing to do with the semicolons being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Corvus View Post
Is there a reason why it needs to be this way, and if not is there an easy way to bulk reverse them?
There is no reason any tag requires a semicolon. Personal preference is the only reason to use them. I'm betting you can use the bulk metadata editor search and replace feature, but my skill set doesn't extend to writing the solution for this problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre replaces commas in a tag with semicolons because as itimpi said, the comma is the character that separates one tag from another. If calibre did not, then the tag 'biography, philosophy, Wittgenstein; Ludwig' would end up as three separate tags, 'biography', 'philosophy', and 'Wittgenstein; Ludwig'
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Calibre has nothing to do with the semicolons being there.
Calibre replaces commas in a tag with semicolons because as itimpi said, the comma is the character that separates one tag from another.
Learn something new every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If calibre did not, then the tag 'biography, philosophy, Wittgenstein; Ludwig' would end up as three separate tags, 'biography', 'philosophy', and 'Wittgenstein; Ludwig'
I thought that was the point of swapping a comma with a semicolon. To make sure "Wittgenstein, Ludwig" is treated as one tag as "Wittgenstein; Ludwig".

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-26-2011 at 06:27 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I thought that was the point of swapping a comma with a semicolon. To make sure "Wittgenstein, Ludwig" is treated as one tag as "Wittgenstein; Ludwig".
"Wittgenstein; Ludwig" was never at risk.

The OP wants *one* tag containing all of "biography, philosophy, Wittgenstein; Ludwig'". Calibre cannot store a tag with internal commas, so calibre changes them to semicolons. I suppose it could just as easily change them to the word THERE_WAS_A_COMMA_HERE, but I suspect that would be less useful.

Last edited by chaley; 02-26-2011 at 09:45 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Autumn Corvus
Autumn Corvus began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
No in the hypothetical situation there's three separate tags, I just don't understand why it isn't 'biography; philosophy; Wittgenstein, Ludwig' instead of the other way around, doesn't look right to me. It's not a big deal though, if that's how the ereaders read the tags I'll have to live with it, I was just curious if it's necessarily so or can be changed without breaking tag functionality.
Autumn Corvus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comma, metadata, semicolon, tags