Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
eisegesis
Banned
eisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enough

Device: huh?
Download ebooks, docs, etc. from personal website

Can anyone create a website (similar to Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, etc.) from which you can directly download files to the Kindle (for free), while using the Kindle browser?

In other words, let's say I have all my documents, ebooks, etc. on my website and I'd like to be able to use the 3G connection on the Kindle to download any of them at anytime. Can I do what Project Gutenberg has done with their website or do they have special permission from Amazon? Would it be abusing the free 3G?

(note: I posted this in the sticky thread area, but poohbear_nc suggested I post it in this section - thanks!)
eisegesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
calibre allows you to run your own content server, as far as i understand - however it has to run on your computer in order for the content server to be running ... so this homebrew solution is one option..not sure of any other...
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
So far as I can tell if you have the ability to run your own web server and can setup links to download files from it via http you should be fine. Naturally you would want good security and you would not want to give access to other people to ebooks that you do not have rights to, Amazon ebooks or ebooks from other pay sites. So far as I can tell you could also give open access to those ebooks that are in the public domain but I'd be very cautious about public domain ebooks from sites like here or Project Gutenburg.

Basically if you have the skills you can do it for your own access and pleasure but you might run into serious issues if you open your site to the public.

I'm still considering whether it is worth the work or not.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
eisegesis
Banned
eisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. I also am debating whether it is worth the effort.

While browsing a website on the Kindle, is there a way to right-click on a link and do a "Save target as..." and basically download it to the kindle? (sorry, but I left my kindle at home so I can't experiment at this time!)
Old 09-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Currently you cannot download PDF from a website using the browser. But if it is MOBI, PRC, AZW, TXT it definitely works over 3G or wifi. That's how Magic Catalog and Feedbooks guides work: they launch the browser and download to your documents folder.

calibre Content Server works as well, but it is a lot simpler to use over wifi on a local network. Otherwise you have to navigate firewalls and such. Again, however PDF is disallowed (as are most file types).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
eisegesis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Currently you cannot download PDF from a website using the browser. But if it is MOBI, PRC, AZW, TXT it definitely works over 3G or wifi. That's how Magic Catalog and Feedbooks guides work: they launch the browser and download to your documents folder.

calibre Content Server works as well, but it is a lot simpler to use over wifi on a local network. Otherwise you have to navigate firewalls and such. Again, however PDF is disallowed (as are most file types).
So the browser knows what type of file it is that you are trying download (based on the file extension, I suppose). Thanks for the additional info.

When will someone develop a more functional browser app using the kindle development kit?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisegesis View Post
Can anyone create a website (similar to Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, etc.) from which you can directly download files to the Kindle (for free), while using the Kindle browser?
Yes. It works very well.
A friend of mine has his ebooks on a private web page running on his home server. It's not hard at all.
(It's not a fancy web site; just a list of folders and files, but that's all that's needed anyway.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I havent played with it much but I'm finding a little trouble downloading directly using the web browser.

Using the Calibre content server I get prompted and download the ebook fine (adds to my documents folder, all is well).

Using a website created with Calibre2Opds (I think makes a better website, more browseable with the Kindle) I get a page full of obscure characters when trying to download an ebook (like it has tried opening the file inside the browser).

Using just a directory listing of the webserver to download the ebook (no funny filenames/space) I get the same page full of obscure characters.

Each test has been done with a .mobi so no issues there. Currently for me Calibre Content Server is the winner. Yet to test sites such as Baen and Gutenberg.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
I've uploaded ebooks to my Google Docs account, and once I found the right mobile version of the site to use, I'm able to download them just fine.

I've also put ebooks in my personal webspace at my university and that worked fine, too.

Last edited by vermontcathy; 09-03-2010 at 12:19 PM.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Rave
Rave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I get a page full of obscure characters when trying to download an ebook (like it has tried opening the file inside the browser).
Same here :/ I've written a small Kindle friedly website for my public domain book conversions, but all I got are these obscure characters inside the browser...

Why does it work on gutenberg and other websites? They use the standard link tags like <a href="file.mobi>Link</a>

Did you found any solution yet?

EDIT: Now it works I had so set the MIME Types on the server...

Create a .htaccess file which contains the fallowing text and place it in the folder in which the website is located.

Quote:
# mobi
AddType application/octet-stream .mobi

# prc
AddType application/octet-stream .prc

Last edited by Rave; 09-12-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Rave is offline   Reply With Quote