Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
Using my JBL as a "GPS"

Thought I would share this, which I'm sure you all have already considered, but in case you hadn't...of course any ereader could do this but the small size of the JBL in fitting in a coat pocket helps...

Being blind, (and err umm broke, couldn't afford an ereader and a gps) I have difficulty in getting around, especially when getting out of the suburbs and into the "city" where the street signs hang over the streets/traffic and I have difficulty in seeing them... or they do not have street signs at every intersection

But I also want to try and be "independent" and not run to a friend to get to a new appointment every time...

So I use my favorite internet map site, use the get directions feature set to the walking or public transportation mode and take a screen shot, crop etc then export the image to the JBL and I have a reference that really helps

Before I had the JBL the map site really saved me, I was going from memory (not always a good idea doh) and was thoroughly lost but having used the map sites traffic (or satellite?) version of my route really blown up, I had noticed a parking lot where the cars came right up to the sidewalk, no "bumper stones" or grass just bam right to the sidewalk, and that visual cue let me find my way, so if you know a low vision person who is trying to retain their mobility, suggest that they scout their route thoroughly beforehand (then put a picture of it in their JBL!)

and yes I could print the map but remember broke ink = $ and stored in the JBL will not get wrinkled etc
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Nice idea, tomereader. I will try using my JBL as a notes repository. Should come in handy.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I've already started using my JBL to carry the manuals for my camera, external flash and two "smart" battery chargers and to carry a list of the books I've entered into calibre so far (real e-books and image PDFs scanned from p-books; 'tis incomplete but once I finish my scanning project, I'll have the list available whenever I'm in a used bookstore). I also put my personal address/phone book on the JBL.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I had some map routes loaded in my jetbook last year when I drove from Fargo ND to KS, then the next day on to Dallas.

Made finding the guys house I was looking for in KS really really easy.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Pinnacler
Pinnacler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomereader View Post
So I use my favorite internet map site, use the get directions feature set to the walking or public transportation mode and take a screen shot, crop etc then export the image to the JBL and I have a reference that really helps

Before I had the JBL the map site really saved me, I was going from memory (not always a good idea doh) and was thoroughly lost but having used the map sites traffic (or satellite?) version of my route really blown up, I had noticed a parking lot where the cars came right up to the sidewalk, no "bumper stones" or grass just bam right to the sidewalk, and that visual cue let me find my way, so if you know a low vision person who is trying to retain their mobility, suggest that they scout their route thoroughly beforehand (then put a picture of it in their JBL!)
Wow... what an incredibly smart thing to do. :-) I have to commend you on that idea. It seems a lot time consuming though, so I'd probably stick to using the GPS software on my cellular phone. Pending on the type of phone you have, you can use a lot of GPS systems for free. One that comes to mind that I use a lot on my HTC TouchPro is the Google Maps. I especially like the Google Latitude program where you can see where your friends are and vice versa. Me and a friend of mine use it all the time when we go for walks in different directions to meet back up later.
Pinnacler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

me broke no phone

me LIKE tap water and ramen noodles umm umm good

actually I was lucky only took 25 months from last paycheck to first ssdi check, got in without having to appeal (the lucky part)

I read that the kindle g3 devices can be "hacked?" to use the built in gps that amazon tracks them with to display to google maps showing location and route

edit -> http://ezinearticles.com/?Using-the-...ion&id=4865775

Last edited by tomereader; 09-25-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added link to using kindle as gps
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Thank you tomereader for sharing. I had been debating with myself for about a week now on wether or not to purchase the sale priced Libre Pro from Borders as a second eReader.

Your post pushed me over the line to make the purchase. I'd rather carry around an electronic note repository than notebooks and paper scraps in my purse any day!

Thanks again.

Last edited by SonDan1; 09-24-2010 at 12:09 PM.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I've already started using my JBL to carry the manuals for my camera, external flash and two "smart" battery chargers and to carry a list of the books I've entered into calibre so far (real e-books and image PDFs scanned from p-books; 'tis incomplete but once I finish my scanning project, I'll have the list available whenever I'm in a used bookstore). I also put my personal address/phone book on the JBL.
Awesome uses. Thanks for sharing.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
tomereader
Zealot

If I could do it again I might have gone with the regular JetBook (I had purchased the JBL before it could read library books) which would have let me have _two_ free library sources mp3 audio books and the newly updated ADE support (I discovered that overdrive mp3 audio books from library didn't seem to have DRM like the WMA audio books, BIG statistical sample, 2 downloads on friends mp3 player)

BUT in reality, I need to hear traffic while out on the streets and do have two NLS book players (the old tape, new digital) in house to hear books from....

But in the months of research I had found so few players that could play 2 library formats...

For the price isn't the JBL amazing, having SD slot, auto page turn, LARGE fonts etc?