Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #91
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
“The new LCDs don’t affect your eyes,” Mr. Taussig said.
What kind of oxymoron statement is that? If LCDs (and other backlit displays) don't affect my eyes, then I shouldn't need a stronger prescription every few years.

Quote:
“Today’s screens update every eight milliseconds, whereas the human eye is moving at a speed between 10 and 30 milliseconds.”
Still sounding like a marketing guy. He left out the part about the screen being backlit. The days of the old flickering screens died many many years ago.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #92
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Sharpen your war axes people! There's a good discussion this morning on Slashdot on which e-reader is the best. There are already posts related to eye strain ...

(m-reader ducks for cover)
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #93
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
In my opinion, a good ereader causes less eyestrain than paper.
What? Maybe if you're reading a 500-year-old manuscript, then yes, an ebook reader will cause less eye strain. Otherwise, there's no contest, paper wins every time in terms of contrast.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #94
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackau View Post
There should be no arguement over which screen type cause eye strain.
LCDs with backlight and frequent refresh rate causes eye strain. The major issue is the toll on eyes' ability to focus.

The savior is E-ink screen, it does not strain our eyes.

In my experience, the experts and technology blogs aren't very helpful on this issue. Personal experience has shown me that what you're saying is perfectly accurate. I don't see how LCD could be used advantageously in a dedicated ebook reader. Aside from eye strain, there's the whole battery life issue: Serious readers don't want to be recharging every four hours.

Quote:
So a 11 inch E-ink grayscale ereader with 1Ghz processor, powerful enough to process pdf with fast zoom and browse, weight under 200 gram is my dream ereader.
Damn right! Let me add: this dream ereader should cost under $300 and have an open architecture. I've been waiting 10 years for it, and I think I'll have to wait another 5 or so.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #95
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
What kind of oxymoron statement is that? If LCDs (and other backlit displays) don't affect my eyes, then I shouldn't need a stronger prescription every few years.

Still sounding like a marketing guy. He left out the part about the screen being backlit. The days of the old flickering screens died many many years ago.
Absolutely agree.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #96
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
That's called aging.

Most people with eye problems need stronger prescription every few years regardless of their viewing habits.

I just don't get why this topic is always so hostile. Read on whatever feels good to your eyes and let others do the same.

I don't see why e-ink diehards have to be so defensive, or others have to rant about how (insert different screen tech/new gadget) will lead to the death of e-ink.

There's plenty of room for all kinds of devices using e-ink or other reflective technology as well as LCD, OLED, pixel QI and other screens so everyone can find something that fits their needs.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #97
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
OK, quick question then. Have there been any (presumably recent) empirical studies that compare paper, eInk / epapers, LCD's, and CRT's, in terms of both eyestrain and reading comprehension?

The only studies I've seen so far are a bit older, were mostly paper vs CRT, in which CRT's fared poorly with both eye strain and reading comprehension.
Going by my own personal experiences I've read books off of CRT monitors, LCD (monitors, PDA and smartphone) and eInk and that's the order they are in decreasing amounts of eye strain after prolonged reading.

I find eInk to be by far the best technology for actually sitting down and reading books which entails focussing on text over a prolonged period as opposed to say using a browser on a monitor where you are constantly looking around the screen and away from it.
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #98
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-eyes View Post
Going by my own personal experiences I've read books off of CRT monitors, LCD (monitors, PDA and smartphone) and eInk and that's the order they are in decreasing amounts of eye strain after prolonged reading.
Sorry, but that doesn't qualify as an objective, scientific, empirical study. Anecdotes like this are not reliable evaluations... and not what I asked about.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #99
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
What? Maybe if you're reading a 500-year-old manuscript, then yes, an ebook reader will cause less eye strain. Otherwise, there's no contest, paper wins every time in terms of contrast.
For a given font family and size, I'd agree. But I can change these on my electronic device.

(And I should add that many paperbacks far less than 500 years old have pretty poor paper/font/text size characteristics.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #100
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
I needed a stronger prescription every two years from my 17 to 23 years. Now I work as a software engineer and I spend my whole day in front of a triple-screen PC (two LCD and a CRT screen), and still my sight is now somewhat stable: last time I had to change eyeglasses was 6 years ago.

According to my oculist, my sight defect was linked to the growth hormone, and from 17 to 23 years of age that hormone has a peak; always according to him, staring to a strong light source can cause damages to the eye, even permanent blindness, but LCD and CRT are too weak to do that kind of damage. He also pointed out that "your sight works by staring at light: the light reflected by objects. If you see something it's because it reflects light at you" (approximately these were his words).

The fact that you need a stronger prescription every few year could be linked to simple aging of your eye and reduction on your cornea's flexibility... it depends on what kind of sight defect you have.

Now, I have to say though that I do prefer e-ink to read, usually. But it's not because of eye strain as much as battery duration, similarity with paper, and the fact that it doesn't produce almost any heat (read with your laptop on your legs, and your nuts will tell you what I mean :P )
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #101
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher
LJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litter

Device: Astak EZ Reader (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
The glossy screen doesn't matter when it's lit up unless you're in direct sunlight or something. In normal lighting conditions you won't notice it's glossy when it's lit up, just like the iPhone or other glossy screen LCD screen devices.

But the thing I like about the article is that it acknowledges that every screen type has it's pros and cons for reading.

Something the "if it glows it blows" crowd here doesn't seem to acknowledge. All have their pros and cons, and what's best for you will depend on your typical reading conditions, what you need out of your device etc.

I love my Kindle, but I get annoyed to death with all the "if it glows it blows nonsense" and saying devices like the iPad can't be used as readers because of the screen tech.

Every screen type has it's pros and cons, everyone's eyes and typical reading conditions are different. There's just no need for people to talk in such absolutes, rather than just simply stating their own opinion that they only want to read on e-ink.
Screen technology is very important if not the single most important element in any digital reading device so to dismiss it is foolish imho. eInk is a far better screen tech to read than a LCD or LED backlit display, it mimics paper pretty well. Even if you don't notice the glare or see the gloss it is still affect you over long periods of time. In the extreme that is like saying I don't believe in gravity because I can't feel it until you walk off a cliff and then you notice is all a sudden, I know thats extreme but I wanted to reinforce my opinion against this notion you need to see something to have it affect you.

With that said the iPad will be a great device for newspapers and magazines for its color display and reading in short bursts, for reading novels I don't think it will compete with a real eInk display, it will do it but I am betting after hours of reading you will notice your eyes strain or you just won't be able to handle reading for that long. Thats why I am getting both, one for book and the other for subscription based material and web surfing.

LJ Miehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #102
Demas
Connoisseur
Demas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Notion Ink Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Miehe View Post
Screen technology is very important if not the single most important element in any digital reading device so to dismiss it is foolish imho.
Nope. Form factor is.

Otherwise you'd stick to books... which have paper "displays" as highly esteemed by reflection display advocates. Imagine an e-reader "monitor" that provide perfect paper experience... but is chained to a desktop, with a power cord, in sizes no less than 23". You wouldn't care about such a device.

e-ink is a compromise of readability, affordability, form factor, and battery life... if the compromises it chooses makes you happy, terrific, but that's far different from saying it is empirically superior for readability where other technologies elect a different balance of compromises to enhance that.
Demas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #103
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-eyes View Post
Going by my own personal experiences ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Sorry, but that doesn't qualify as an objective, scientific, empirical study.
They never claimed it did. Is your complaint that they wanted to participate in the discussion, but did so outside of the restrictions you have determined should be in place?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #104
LJ Miehe
Empirical Philosopher
LJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litterLJ Miehe doesn't litter

Device: Astak EZ Reader (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demas View Post
Nope. Form factor is.

Otherwise you'd stick to books... which have paper "displays" as highly esteemed by reflection display advocates. Imagine an e-reader "monitor" that provide perfect paper experience... but is chained to a desktop, with a power cord, in sizes no less than 23". You wouldn't care about such a device.

e-ink is a compromise of readability, affordability, form factor, and battery life... if the compromises it chooses makes you happy, terrific, but that's far different from saying it is empirically superior for readability where other technologies elect a different balance of compromises to enhance that.
I will have to give you that correction to my point, now after thinking about it, is form factor and the portability is the most important but the screen technology is the second most important element of a eReader device. eInk beats LCD/LED hands down, at this point it does not compare when you are trying to emulate paper.
LJ Miehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #105
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demas View Post
Otherwise you'd stick to books... which have paper "displays" as highly esteemed by reflection display advocates.
It is a good display, but as far as "screen technology" goes, paper in pretty poor: it takes more and more space the bigger the book is, it does not allow any kind of modification, in fact, for every piece of content, you have to buy a new "screen"

Quote:
Imagine an e-reader "monitor" that provide perfect paper experience... but is chained to a desktop, with a power cord, in sizes no less than 23". You wouldn't care about such a device.
It would be a nice computer monitor, still

By that reasoning, I could say that battery life is still more important: Imagine the perfect screen, the perfect size... but with a battery that lasts 1 minute, and needs a 4-hour recharge. Or I could say it's general "toughness": Imagine the perfect device, but that has to be handled with gloves in a dust-free atmosphere...

At the end of it, all factors are important, but the screen is probably the most directly involved in the usage the device is intended for.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote