Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
HarperCollins to follow Macmillian in price fight with Amazon?

In this article here Rupert Murdoch has been quoted in expressing his displeasure at what Amazon are doing with respect to ebook prices:
Quote:
"We don't like the Amazon model of selling everything at $US9.99," Murdoch said when asked about electronic books during a conference call with analysts on Tuesday.

"They pay us the wholesale price of $US14 or whatever we charge," he said. "But I think it really devalues books and it hurts all the retailers of the hard cover books."
The question is: Will HarperCollins (under Murdoch's control) follow Macmillian in price fight with Amazon?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
R.I.P. $9.99 ebooks
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Already a thread here

Perhaps we could merge them?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Ah good old Murdoch, the man clutching at straws trying to squeeze more money out of us for his empire (goodbye news sites when he starts charging).

I personally feel this will blow over in time. Anyone can set a price on a service/good, but in the end it is only worth what people will pay for it. I for one would be happy to pay these prices IF I could lend my ebook, sell my ebook after reading it.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I personally feel this will blow over in time. Anyone can set a price on a service/good, but in the end it is only worth what people will pay for it. I for one would be happy to pay these prices IF I could lend my ebook, sell my ebook after reading it.
I agree that value is dependent on rights. If the publishers can figure out how to implement lending, selling, and donating - then their proposed pricing model makes sense.

Without those rights, their proposed pricing model for eBooks will get NO money from me. Used or borrowed paper books are too compelling, available, and cost effective.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert