Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #1
Worried Me
Worried Me began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Global
Putting a PDF Book onto Kindle

Is there anywhere I can find instructions on how to put a PDF file onto Kindle ? I have two books on Adobe Digital Editions. One I downloaded free from somewhere about 12 months ago. I have put that onto my Kindle no problems. The other one I purchased from ebooks .com I have tried several times to put it onto the Kindle and keep getting a message on the Kindle screen saying
" your Kindle has encountered an unexpected error. If the problem persists please restart your Kindle from the Menu and try again. I have done this several times with the same result each time . The last time I tried the Kindle sort of froze. Any idea what I am doing wrong or as I asked can you point me to where I can learn about loading onto. Also how long should it take to download these files? I am running XP Thanks

Last edited by Worried Me; 01-18-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Worried Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Adobe Digital Editions pdfs do not work on the Kindle if they have DRM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
Worried Me

Sorry Daffy....what is DRM ?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Something publishers believe they need but customers don't want.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
Worried Me

Thank you . I have looked it up and now know what it is . How do I know that it is on the book I purchased ? I will not read it on the Adobe as it is very poor quality I think. If it is not feasible to try to put PDF books onto Kindle I don't think I will waste my money buying more and will just stick with Amazon
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried Me View Post
Sorry Daffy....what is DRM ?
Sorry, I went to sleep after I posted.

Jonas777 gave you link with information but for a quickie reply for anyone else reading... DRM is Digital Rights Management. It way of encrypting content so that it's use is limited in some way. In this particular case ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) ebooks can only be read on readers that can handle the encryption. Most of the ePub ebook readers can read ADE (not all but most). Those same readers cannot not handle the encryption on Kindle books.

The only way at this point to level the playing field is to remove DRM, which may be illegal depending on where you live and your comfort level. Once DRM is removed books can be converted to be used on just about any ebook reader.

We are not allowed to provide instructions on removing DRM as it is against site policy. If you choose to go that route, Google will be your best friend (but start by searching the MobileRead forums for hints).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote