Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
phunkysai
phunkysai began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Certain hyphens being removed on HTML to ePub

Hi,

I've been converting HMTL files to ePub using Calibre, and then transferring them to my iPod Touch to read on Stanza. The problem is, certain dashes are being removed. Hyphenated words seem to make it through ok such as "one-hundred" but sentences where there is a long dash, breaking up the sentence, such as: "When you recover - and there is no "if"; you wouldn't be there if they didn't know they could fix you - you're still in the army" are being removed.

If I take the original HTML file and use Stanza's desktop converter and convert to epub, all of the dashes survive the transferal.

I sent the epub file that Calibre created to Lexcycle, and this was there response:

"I don't see the dashes when I open the xhtml document in Safari. Since Stanza uses the same renderer as Safari, that's a good browser to preview how documents will look in Stanza.

The problem is that your dashes are being represented by decimal 151, but you have declared that your document's encoding is UTF-8. 151 is em dash only for the windows-1252 (i.e. "latin1") encoding. You could fix this by using the proper UTF-8 encoding for the em dash (decimal 8212). But the easiest solution would be to just represent it using the HTML entity encoding of "—", which will allow you to bypass any character encoding issues altogether."

Hopefully that will help with fixing the conversion issue? I don't know...

I've also attached the original HTML file for analysis...
Attached Files
File Type: rar test.rar (31.1 KB, 252 views)
phunkysai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
in the calibre convrsion optiond for this book specify th encoding as cp1252
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
phunkysai

ok I did that, and the hyphens are back, but it also added a new character.

Before every one of those hyphens I'm getting a capital A with a carrot over it. It looks like this:

"When you recoverA- and there is no "if"; you wouldn't be there if they didn't know they could fix youA- you're still in the army"

NOTE that the example above is not showing the little carrot accent over the capital A since I can't type it in this text box.

thanks for the help....
Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Will be fixed in the 0.6 release
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
phunkysai

You're the man!
Advert