FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Sony Ebookstore: US only books, and books with formatting problems

Hello all.

1) I'm in Canada, and there's a book I really want:

Anathem, by Neal Stephenson

But, on sony's ebookstore, it shows the book is available in "US Only". I've never seen this before, and I bought 33 books so far through Sony's site.

Is there any way I can somehow get this book? The hardcover book us available in stores here... but who wants to get that crazy old paper version?!?

2) I bought, from Sony's store:

The Sunrise Lands, by S. M. Stirling

This book has many words that have a space in them... at least one every 2 pages (often more than one on a single page). I find it very distracting. Is there anything I can do about this... like get a refund? I stopped reading it because it was too annoying.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
Hello all.

1) I'm in Canada, and there's a book I really want:

Anathem, by Neal Stephenson

But, on sony's ebookstore, it shows the book is available in "US Only". I've never seen this before, and I bought 33 books so far through Sony's site.

Is there any way I can somehow get this book? The hardcover book us available in stores here... but who wants to get that crazy old paper version?!?
I am not sure about the second question, but about the first question, how about purchasing microsoft reader (lit) version from fictionwise and strip DRM and convert to LRF? Sounds like a lot but it takes less than one minute. Additional benefit is that you will have no-DRMed book in the end.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Hello all.

cut

2) I bought, from Sony's store:

The Sunrise Lands, by S. M. Stirling

This book has many words that have a space in them... at least one every 2 pages (often more than one on a single page). I find it very distracting. Is there anything I can do about this... like get a refund? I stopped reading it because it was too annoying.
If you're talking about a large number of words that have spaces in them, like this: teleg raph

then I would say you have a poorly formatted book. You have the right to point this out to Sony and ask for a refund, in my opinion.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If you're talking about a large number of words that have spaces in them, like this: teleg raph

then I would say you have a poorly formatted book. You have the right to point this out to Sony and ask for a refund, in my opinion.

Don
That's exactly what I have, so I will try. Thanks.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
That's exactly what I have, so I will try. Thanks.
Please let us know how you get on - if you fail then maybe we can all bombard them with "how dare you" messages

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
For what it's worth, I've complained to Sony about a poorly formatted book before. It took them several weeks to review the problem. They finally sent it back to the publisher and told me that I'd get an email when the publisher had fixed the problems and re-uploaded the book. In the interim, my account was credited for the price of the book. I never did get that email from the publisher...
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I also had the same problem with the Sunrise Lands, the Scourge of God seems to be formatted a little better, but the "N" and "-" everywhere is still kind of annoying. They also seem to have a problem with the section breaks of character POV. It just kind of happens without a break in text or anything to let you know that there was a switch.

I emailed them too about it, hopefully we'll get some results....wish I didn't have to jump through hoops to email them though.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote