Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
incogneato
incogneato began at the beginning.

Device: none
Your privacy is at risk with certain e-Book Readers!

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/12/e-book-privacy

Totally not cool. I think everyone should e-mail them and complain, but that's just me. I wonder if they have some built in program that turns on your wireless without your permission to send info when you have it disabled permanently?
incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by incogneato View Post

Totally not cool. I think everyone should e-mail them and complain, but that's just me. I wonder if they have some built in program that turns on your wireless without your permission to send info when you have it disabled permanently?
Do you have a credit card, mortgage, bank account, library card, store loyalty card, or have you ever ordered subscribed to a magazine? Holy crap, your privacy is at risk!

At least have some perspective here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

You are kidding, right?

sony still tracks ebook purchase on their ebook store site....and this info is available to any law enforcement agency that wants it.

People.......you all gotta take off those tin hats!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Am I the only person that doesn't care about privacy? I understand where people are coming from with Orwellian visions but why should I care if Amazon monitors what I'm reading? A
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
FYI this has already been discussed in another thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66451

I don't see all that much more additional cause for concern than purchases made via credit card, but to each his own I guess....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
FYI this has already been discussed in another thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66451

I don't see all that much more additional cause for concern than purchases made via credit card, but to each his own I guess....
Hysteria is a growth industry, especially when you mix in paranoia.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You are kidding, right?

sony still tracks ebook purchase on their ebook store site....and this info is available to any law enforcement agency that wants it.

I think the author of the article is pro-sony. There is a big green No: for tracking of purchases (only on their ebook store). Yet B&N get a big red Yes:. How are the two different? Either way you are buying ebooks from their bookstore, so a big red Yes: should exist for each of them.

Now also compare the difference with sony and the others with "Can they keep track of book searches?" Bah. I personally find keeping track of my searches handy, nothing worse than a week later thinking "Now what was that book I was looking at?".
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I think the author of the article is pro-sony.
That would be odd, because the EFF has been pretty critical of Sony's DRM policies in the past. They don't tend to play favorites with corporations.

I think it is just a poorly researched/presented chart.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
incogneato
incogneato began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think you naysayers are missing an important point in that chart: info on everything in your e-Book reader can be sent to these companies. Obviously no one is going to give a crap if some company knows that you buy lots of books from author X. I know it's standard procedure to criticize EVERYTHING on the internet, but at least read the freakin' link before replying.
incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Rob G.
Enthusiast
Rob G. doesn't litterRob G. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Personally, I'd be more worried about the company that sold CDs that installed root kits on your computer (and at the time of the link didn't have a WiFi reader) than the other guys, but I guess that's just me. I'm still not convinced that they could read the files on my Kindle, nor am I convinced they'd want to.
Rob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I think you naysayers are missing an important point in that chart: info on everything in your e-Book reader can be sent to these companies. Obviously no one is going to give a crap if some company knows that you buy lots of books from author X. I know it's standard procedure to criticize EVERYTHING on the internet, but at least read the freakin' link before replying.
So, perhaps the author should know the new devices and should begin to put YES at Sony column after PRS-900.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
And if companies like Amazon and B&N didn't keep track of your purchases then people would be in an uproar if/when it came time to redownload already purchased content. Can't win everyones approval.

Can't wait for the next article about ebook privacy to come around "Which companies use your credit card details to process your purchase transactions". I can see it now.
Amazon: Yes: Everytime you purchase an ebook.
B&N: Yes: Everytime you purchase an ebook.
Sony: No: Only when using their ebook store.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
That chart compares only three devices and two softwares. That seems a little bit odd for a "Buyer's Guide". If the EFF want join the privacy-debate, they will have to do a little bit more research imho.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Frankly, your privacy is at risk when you purchase physical books or if you use your public library. Libraries are required to keep track of what books you have checked out and turn those over to federal authorities if asked. And they aren't allowed to tell you. I believe it is part of the Patriot Act.

Privacy is a complete illusion at this point.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
But I look good in my tin hat
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote