Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #586
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Nice to see the DX's are now only $199, but the eInk is a generation behind and laggy compared to what the latest offerings are
That *is* why it is sold for only $199.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #587
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
That *is* why it is sold for only $199.
Agreed. At this point though, we're getting desperate. It is a bit annoying that there aren't any sanely priced devkits for the 13.3" screens, let alone even being available.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #588
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yup. I wouldn't consider the Sony because it is way too expensive. hmmmm Sounds familiar...
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #589
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Seems the link is case sensitive. Earl
Thanks, I knew that but forgot. All of the characters in the wiki except the first one are case sensitive.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #590
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Agreed. At this point though, we're getting desperate. It is a bit annoying that there aren't any sanely priced devkits for the 13.3" screens, let alone even being available.
People's expectations about what a sane price would be are based on prices of devices that are sold in far larger numbers and heavily discounted.
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #591
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The screen costs more than LCD so devices with Pixel Qi would have higher prices (or lower profit margins for the manufacturer).

Consider the reaction to the price of the Sony device. Consumers want a variety of things from their devices, and the technology to make them exists, but that doesn't mean that the consumers would be happy with the prices.
Yes, I agree. In my case, now that you've shown me this technology, I would love that some company/manufacturer used the Pixel Qi technology in some 8''+ tablet with pen input, preferably... This would be something like the best of two worlds! I understand the cost, but I would pay the price if it was built with reasonable hardware (and software), built for taking notes and with good performance, at least, on the web (which e-ereaders can't do very well).

In the Digital Paper case, I'm willing to pay what Sony asks, because it is really good, built for the task I require. And yet, I think if it was capable of displaying colours (like if it incorporated Pixel Qi), the price would be more acceptable.
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #592
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
People's expectations about what a sane price would be are based on prices of devices that are sold in far larger numbers and heavily discounted.
I've gone through quite a few dev kits here for various electronics parts over the years (not referring to the populist items like RPi's / Arduinos) one gets used to the costs associated with such things.

For eInk-13.3" I was thinking in the range of $1200~$2000, the controller side is already a well defined system so far as the ARM+storage/interfacing+OS goes. I'm not sure if the actual screen controller had to change a lot in this incarnation ( though given that there's a Indigogo controller purporting to support 6, 9 and 13" displays it doesn't seem like there has been ).

I agree, dev kits are obscenely expensive for the mfg'er to initially develop, but that's usually a bit of a loss-leader to draw in the designers.

I dare say I'm just a bit biased/twitchy because of my intense need for such a device
Old 04-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #593
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Any information on an European release date?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #594
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
A new article about Digital Paper.

I am definitely looking to get one of these devices. I can't wait for more details to be released!

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1865944
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:03 AM   #595
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I am very interested in this one, but I think I will skip due to the price.. 5-600$ and I would snatch it, but 1100$? Ouch!

Also, I do consider the resolution quite low for such a large screen these days.

Hopefully they'll drop in price in the second generation.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 AM   #596
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'll be in Tokyo for a few days, so I'll probably check it out in Sony's showroom. If there is anything you are particularly curious about list your questions here.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:14 AM   #597
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

I'd be greatly interested if there's a devlopers kit for this unit. Really REALLY hoping for a way to use it as a remote / 2nd display - will be glorious to finally have my wife able to write again.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #598
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'll ask about a SDK
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #599
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I am very interested in this one, but I think I will skip due to the price.. 5-600$ and I would snatch it, but 1100$? Ouch!

Also, I do consider the resolution quite low for such a large screen these days.

Hopefully they'll drop in price in the second generation.
The 13.3" MacBook Air has a lower resolution.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #600
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
The 13.3" MacBook Air has a lower resolution.
Exactly. And it has a crappy LCD display.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote