Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Basilicum
Basilicum began at the beginning.

Device: none
poterm and tty

I have been going through the forums and I installed the poterm pro application for my 912. It is great software, and I have a question:

I expected that poterm would provide a tty of the software keyboard and the screen, either full screen or windowed. Just like xterm on Linux.

But, the software keyboard only pops up when you enter a command through the command menu of poterm.

Is this the intended way poterm works, or did I something wrong with the setup ?

On start of poterm, it complains "can't acces tty; job control turned off".

When I execute the command tty, poterm/pb answers "not a tty". Would this explain that the way of inputting characters into poterm/pb ?

Moreover, I thought, when you have a tty on a xterm, you can execute programs like vi or sed. They are available in busybox on the pb. Could there be a way to this approach ?

Hoping to hear from you . .
Basilicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
poterm just collects commands, executes them with the system() call, and displays the results in the window. As you saw from the messages, it is not a tty, so you cannot run stuff like vi that needs a real tty to operate properly.

I'm not sure what you mean by the command menu of poterm. Perhaps my old version doesn't have that. I pop up the keyboard by pressing the OK button (the round one inside the keypad). That is the standard way in most Inkview applications.

If you want something better and have WiFi available, you can use the utelnetd app for logging in remotely from your PC and getting a full terminal session that way. vi works nicely there.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
yuryfdr
Connoisseur
yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.yuryfdr is faster than slow light.

Device: pocketbook 301, pocketbook 603
you may try another terminal for poketbook models with touch screen:
http://othb08me09zp-pb-apps.narod2.ru/
vi must work.
yuryfdr is offline   Reply With Quote