Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Sassyinkpen
Sassyinkpen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPod Touch
Can Nook Color with 1.4.1 be rooted?

I've been searching various boards for a while and I'm getting confused because I keep finding conflicting information. I haven't really seen much on THIS board about this specific question, so I wanted to see what opinions here are.

Can a Nook Color with update 1.4.1 be rooted?

I've found at least three comments in various places that flat out say it can't be yet. I found one who posted an experimental method that seemed to work and then threw it out to developers to work with.

Now, I've found one thread at XDA with instructions for rooting that appears to be current as of 10/11/11, which has three posts in the last day from people all saying they used these instructions to root a Nook Color with 1.4.1 and it worked just fine.

Opinions?
Sassyinkpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Sassyinkpen

Answer: It can certainly run CM7 off an SD Card!!!!
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyinkpen View Post
This is what I'm doing. Best of both worlds. I like the built in B&N stuff for most of my reading, but I can also use it as an Android tablet for ComicRack, Kindle and free Amazon and Google app store apps.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Sassyinkpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
This is what I'm doing. Best of both worlds. I like the built in B&N stuff for most of my reading, but I can also use it as an Android tablet for ComicRack, Kindle and free Amazon and Google app store apps.

Are you able to access books loaded onto the Nook prior to using the SD card? I am now using Alkido and Cool Reader and I can find everything I put into the My Files section, but can't find any of the books that were loaded whereever books on the Nook go.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Are you able to access books loaded onto the Nook prior to using the SD card? I am now using Alkido and Cool Reader and I can find everything I put into the My Files section, but can't find any of the books that were loaded whereever books on the Nook go.
When you run the OS from the SD card, you can't access the books or any files on the nook internal memory, the OS from the SD cards only "sees" what's on the SD card.

If you have shell access on your SD card OS (you should), you could mount the nook eMMC and then access it, basically you would have to do something like this:

$ cd <some dir>
$ mkdir books
$ mount -t <partition type> /dev/<partition> <some dir>/books

You need to find out which partition holds the books, and what type it is.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Sassyinkpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
When you run the OS from the SD card, you can't access the books or any files on the nook internal memory, the OS from the SD cards only "sees" what's on the SD card.
I'm not sure that's entirely true - without my doing anything at all, the video player was able to find and play all the videos I had previously loaded on the Nook, which I believe then are on the internal memory. I was also able to access all my files located in the Documents folder of the Nook that I loaded on prior to any messing around with OSs.

Maybe I'm mistaken about how all this works, but those files all are still on the Nook's internal memory when I hook it up to my computer and take a look.

The books, though, couldn't be seen on the internal memory and I had to move those to the SD card in order for Aldiko to see them.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Maybe it depends on the reader. With Coolreader I can go back to the Nooks memory showing /mnt/emmc pressing on that takes me to the internal memory where myfiles folder holds my sideloaded books and videos however like the poster indicated while I have some items their coolreader doesn't see them any more. I am sure that when I first loaded Coolreader prior to a number of updates I was able to see items on emmc.

I use ES file explorer and I can easily move items I need if there were any. However as I haven't used basic Nook for ages now it hasn't been necessary.

Last edited by goldberry; 12-31-2011 at 09:02 AM.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I'm not sure that's entirely true - without my doing anything at all, the video player was able to find and play all the videos I had previously loaded on the Nook, which I believe then are on the internal memory. I was also able to access all my files located in the Documents folder of the Nook that I loaded on prior to any messing around with OSs.

Maybe I'm mistaken about how all this works, but those files all are still on the Nook's internal memory when I hook it up to my computer and take a look.

The books, though, couldn't be seen on the internal memory and I had to move those to the SD card in order for Aldiko to see them.
It could be that the SD card image mounts some of the nook internal partitions on boot, automating what I described.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
It can also run in a dual-boot setup on the emmc.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'm running the Manual Nooter 5.whatever and it works GREAT!!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote