Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Nook HD died

I've had my Nook HD not quite 2 years, everything was fine. It is not rooted but has an N2A card in with jellybean. Suddenly it will no longer turn on, or apparently charge. I have tried charging it overnight, pushing both the N button and the power button together as someone suggested, and nothing helps. When it's plugged in the light is red but if I try to turn it on while plugged in the light goes from green to yellow and back over and over. Once in awhile the screen will show a charging symbol briefly, but that's it. Unplugged, no light is lit up.

I had no warning; it was working fine and then the next day was dead. I have tried turning on without the microSD card in as well, repeating all the above steps.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Plugged into a wall charger, not a computer, right?

Does sound like it's met its end.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Was the battery holding a normal charge just yesterday? If so, I guess there's nothing wrong with the battery.

The Nook HD+/HD models do have a few charging quirks. Once I could not get my HD+ to charge. Whenever I plugged it into a USB charger, the light would just be green no matter what. I got it out of that mode and into regular charging mode by connecting it to my PC with the USB cable. Windows somehow sends back a message to the Nooks when it recognizes a connection via USB, and that was enough to "wake up" my HD+ and fix the problem. So you might want to try that.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
yarnmama
Constant Reader
yarnmama doesn't litteryarnmama doesn't litteryarnmama doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Voyage, Oasis
There is a good chance it is just a bad cable and/or wall charger. I have had to replace several now. I had two go bad this week.
yarnmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

I wish it was just the cable/charger but I have used the same one on my HD+ and it worked fine. So it definitely is the tablet. I just tried plugging it into the PC but that hasn't helped so far either. I'm glad I grabbed an HD+ earlier this year when they all went on sale at the end, so I have something to use, but I preferred the smaller one as a take-along reader.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well if you want to replace it, should be easy to find for $80 or less.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
catsknit
Addict

Really? I haven't looked but I assumed they had gotten pretty hard to find now that they stopped making them and have moved on. Still plenty around?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
This is what I would do -- Prepare a basic Clockworkmod (CWM) bootup card as described in 1a of the first post at this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

It's really easy. I've done it dozens of times.

Then insert the card into your dead HD and plug in the charger. Leave it plugged in for at least an hour or so, then press the power button and try to boot up into CWM. If you can, you will be able to charge your device for a few hours, then exit out of CWM.

If you can boot into CWM, you can then put a stock ROM on the card, reboot back into CWM, and flash the stock ROM from there. If successful, you should be able to boot into your Nook normally. It will be like a new device and you will have to register again. You will of course lose all your previous data.

There are links to the stock ROM in that first post in that thread.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well if you want to replace it, should be easy to find for $80 or less.
But, do you really want another one that might not last any longer than the first one? Save your pennies and check out the Galaxy Tabs. I wish I had money for the new Tab S. Fortunately, my HD+ is still working fine.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Really? I haven't looked but I assumed they had gotten pretty hard to find now that they stopped making them and have moved on. Still plenty around?
Well used/refurbished. I should have specified that.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
But, do you really want another one that might not last any longer than the first one? Save your pennies and check out the Galaxy Tabs. I wish I had money for the new Tab S. Fortunately, my HD+ is still working fine.
I wouldn't mind having a Galaxy Tab S either. They look very nice and I have never had a Samsung tablet before (would like to try one, some day).
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
By the time I can afford a Tab S, they should be at least two generations old with a considerably lower price.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
By the time I can afford a Tab S, they should be at least two generations old with a considerably lower price.
Mmm, same here.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
catsknit
Addict

Well, good news. After trying repeatedly over 4-5 days to charge it with no luck, I just left it sitting for a week or two, tried again and it charged! Same charger, same outlet. What made me try it again was that my HD+ also died and wouldn't charge for about a day, then suddenly did, so I figured why not try the HD again. I am guessing there might be a bad pin in the charger or something that is intermittently going out. I've already replaced the each charger once, after dd accidentally bent them a little and would no longer work. This one is working fine now but I'll have a backup ready just in case.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

That is great news! My two girls each have Nook HDs which get extensive use. I'd hate to see them die. I don't know what I'd replace them with that would be such good quality and a low price! I do have 4 chargers on hand, so far so good, though the battery on my HD+ is wonky. I need to factory reset it.