Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #106
dos
Enthusiast
dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
I wonder if someone with the Wifi Kobo could clear something up for me.

In the original Kobo it's not possible to use hypertext links in ePubs (and possibly not in the Kobo native format either, although I haven't tried).

For example, let's use Infinite Jest as an example. Mr. Wallace (R.I.P.) loves to use footnotes and end-notes in his work.

From the ePub, viewed in Calibre:

Infinite Jest is full of the latter. There are 388 endnotes in the book.

Note the "back to text" hyperlink. Convenient! I like a well-made ePub:

The author has stated that the correct way to read the book is to flip to the back and read the end-notes as you come upon them, i.e he wants you to be going back and forth as you read.

I'd like you guys to imagine what that is like on a Kobo 1, without hypertext or a way to jump to a page in a book.

Is this problem fixed in the Wifi Kobo?
dos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #107
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I found Infinite Jest essentially impossible to read without hyperlinks. I ended up reading it on my Netbook in the Kobo desktop application. Not a real solution, for sure. My WiFi Kobo will ship on Monday, I'm told, and this is one of the things I am hoping for, too. Not really expecting, since no one has mentioned it yet.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #108
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I haven't read a book with footnotes or endnotes, but the first book I read had images (in Kobo format before I knew that ADE would include them). I always have my iPhone with me, and when I came to an image caption I would flip to the current page in the Kobo iPhone app. I guess I would do the same if I saw hyperlinks. Now that I have a netbook I might use it if there were lots and lots.

If (when) I get a Wifi Kobo I would like to disable page syncing between devices - I hope that option is available. I often use the iPhone or my desktop to flip back to refer to previous pages.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #109
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
If (when) I get a Wifi Kobo I would like to disable page syncing between devices - I hope that option is available. I often use the iPhone or my desktop to flip back to refer to previous pages.
I suppose you can just turn the WiFi off, which would keep any syncing at all from happening.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #110
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Syncing is pretty complex. My first idea would be firewall on every
device, but it puts stress on the proper function even more. Modern
firewalls let the session start and wait for the possible answer. If the
rule is not dynamic, there is no chance to accept incoming session.
Wifi router could be set to not process outbound session and not
receive any incoming one. At least dd-wrt could do that. Manual for
iptables will show you all possibilities at hand. Ipfw and pf are way
better firewalls, but they are not available for small firmware like
dd-wrt. If all this puzzles, I agree. One menu option in kobo firmware
is better than everything above. That means software has to foresee
what end user wants. Further, to put info in one well written manual.
So, more work for kobo guys, but it is the situation all software
companies have to manage.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #111
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Syncing is pretty complex. My first idea would be firewall on every
device, but it puts stress on the proper function even more. Modern
firewalls let the session start and wait for the possible answer. If the
rule is not dynamic, there is no chance to accept incoming session.
Wifi router could be set to not process outbound session and not
receive any incoming one. At least dd-wrt could do that. Manual for
iptables will show you all possibilities at hand. Ipfw and pf are way
better firewalls, but they are not available for small firmware like
dd-wrt. If all this puzzles, I agree. One menu option in kobo firmware
is better than everything above. That means software has to foresee
what end user wants. Further, to put info in one well written manual.
So, more work for kobo guys, but it is the situation all software
companies have to manage.
I think the only way to not have your bookmarks sync at all is to use the 'ePub' version of the book, which you should be able to download off of http://www.kobobooks.com - these are not cloud-synced.

Any other way, as soon as you sync your library, bookmarks get updated on our servers.

I'm afraid we didn't think there would be that much of a need to NOT sync your devices.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #112
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I think the only way to not have your bookmarks sync at all is to use the 'ePub' version of the book, which you should be able to download off of http://www.kobobooks.com - these are not cloud-synced.
Any other way, as soon as you sync your library, bookmarks get updated on our servers.
I'm afraid we didn't think there would be that much of a need to NOT sync your devices.
Seems that every poster on this forum has his/her own idea how to
do this. I like to read people solving the same problem in a zillion
different ways. Interesting to know, spite I use my own method.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #113
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Reading all the posts, I'm thinking that if you NEVER want to sync use ePUB. If you temporarily do not want to sync between devices, turn off the WiFi, but be aware that when you do sync--for example, when you add a new book to the reader in Kobo format, all of your devices will sync up at that point, even if you are adding the new book through the desktop software.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #114
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Reading all the posts, I'm thinking that if you NEVER want to sync use ePUB. If you temporarily do not want to sync between devices, turn off the WiFi, but be aware that when you do sync--for example, when you add a new book to the reader in Kobo format, all of your devices will sync up at that point, even if you are adding the new book through the desktop software.
With the Kobo Wireless, if you buy a book on the device itself, it will only download the purchased book and not do a full sync, so it's a bit easier there. But yes if you buy a book from the desktop and sync the reader, it will update everything.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #115
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
My big post didn't get a response, so i guess i'll keep it short

Any ETA on the new firmware for the original Kobo?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #116
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
My big post didn't get a response, so i guess i'll keep it short

Any ETA on the new firmware for the original Kobo?
I think Monday was the said date but I don't think it's official.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #117
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
I think Monday was the said date but I don't think it's official.
Cool... where was that said? I missed it; offline a few days.

Well, it's Monday here in Aus!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #118
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Cool... where was that said? I missed it; offline a few days.

Well, it's Monday here in Aus!
The 1.7.1 Firmware update with battery fixes is scheduled for tomorrow (for most retailers), barring any crazy occurrences.

Next Firmware for the original kobo is not coming out tomorrow, I'm sorry

But that is the very thing we are working on once 1.7.1 is out the door. It's almost done, needs to be regression-tested and stabilized, after which it's going to get rolled out. Exact date I don't know, depends on the results of the testing. As soon as we have a timeframe we know we can hit, either me or JCKobo will post it here.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #119
digital_steve
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
The 1.7.1 Firmware update with battery fixes is scheduled for tomorrow (for most retailers), barring any crazy occurrences.

Next Firmware for the original kobo is not coming out tomorrow, I'm sorry

But that is the very thing we are working on once 1.7.1 is out the door. It's almost done, needs to be regression-tested and stabilized, after which it's going to get rolled out. Exact date I don't know, depends on the results of the testing. As soon as we have a timeframe we know we can hit, either me or JCKobo will post it here.
Nice, thanks for the info... but i'm going to ride you some more
What can we expect to be addressed in the new firmware release?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #120
dos
Enthusiast
dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
What can we expect to be addressed in the new firmware release?
Assuming he's talking about the new firmware for the original Kobo, I'd also like to know this.
dos is offline   Reply With Quote